1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avia DVD recommends Optical over Coaxial

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KraGorn, Dec 9, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Although I've had the Avia calibration DVD for some time I've never watched it through before .. when it came to the section on interconnects they said that in preference one should use and optical digital connection as opposed to coaxial because coax can introduce noise and hum.

Given that the entire DVD is aimed at helping one achieve maximum audio and video quality it surprised me they decided that noise injection was a more serious problem than a DA->AD conversion cycle.

Is this a strange recommendation? :confused:

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    No it makes much sense :)

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But the 'conventional wisdom' round here seems to be coax in preference to optical due to the DA/AD step.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Make sure you use the right sort of Coax cable. ;) Have a look in the PowerBuys Forum at Mark Grant's cables.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Granted I am the biggest fan of what Mark and others are doing commercially (see my new mega post on this tonight) but optical systems when implemented correctly can offer some advantages, the problems is we don't often give them the credit when it is due. everyone is obsessed with coax here but if you need to isolate say ground optical is your answer. Personally I generally use coax but have optical for HCPCs perhaps going to a reclocking box because of the 'advantages'. It is not as black and white as many make out. Good optical are £40, BEST coax is nearer £20! So I guess this explains much!

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I would certainly add from a user perspective that recently i compared a Belden/Canare co-ax against a Van Den Hul optocoupler mk2 and another U.S sourced glass fiber optical link and in complete honesty and slight surprise i prefered the two optical's. That said it required a 2.00am listening session and the "differences" were slight at best.

Regards

Steven

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it is also worth bearing in mind that optical is simply more common over there...... that goes a long way towards alot of things......

ad

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    This is never going to be a clearcut question. Different pieces of equipment may well have better or poorer optical implementations compared to the coax implementation on the same piece of equipment. My Arcam DV27, for example, is limited to 48 kHz on the optical output, but can produce 96 kHz at the coax output. At present the practical significance of that is isn't very great, but I live in hope.... :)

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DV27 can output 96 through its coax output but doesn´t due to copy protection laws... :suicide:

A friend had an exchange of e-mails with Robert Watts, the designer of the Chord DAC64, and DPA before, and he said optical is better, but some friends tested and always preferred coax... :rolleyes:

In the end, apparently optical more imune to RF, but worst regarding jitter, and the DAC64 is supposed to eliminate jitter, but testing didn´t confirm it... :thumbsdow