Avia: Does your speaker 'crackle' when it reads 85dB on the SPL meter?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tk2001, Jan 18, 2003.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Well my Silver anniversary cable arrive a few days ago and I've managed to set everything up using banana plugs for both speakers & amp.

After setting the cables up, I then got out my trusty Avia dvd to configure all speakers to 85dB at 00 using my digital SPL meter and I have found that the front-left, front-right and surround-right speakers produces a crackle sound - as if there is something very tiny rattling inside . The front center and surround-left speakers appear to be unaffected though.

Has anyone else experienced this and should I be concerned about this? :rolleyes:

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so it sounds like something physical not poor contacts crackling?

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strange that your front right and left crackle when you're using an identical centre :confused:. I was going to suggest your speakers weren't up to the job but them I noticed you had the Gallos and I quickly slapped myself ;). My Gallos are on their way to me - should have them early next week :D.

4. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    everything is connected correctly and I'm 100% sure that the crackling isn't due to poor contacts.

It sounds like something is resonating inside due to the very high frequency of the test-tone but the funny thing is, the front-center and the surround-left micro's don't have any crackling sound what so ever. :confused:

One thing I have noticed is that if you rotate the micro, then there seems to be less of a crackle sound but I prefer to have my micro's facing horizontal.

James, have you configured your micro's to 85dB using Avia?

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    A word of advise from one happy gallo owner to a soon to be. The Gallos require a very hefty running-in period to sound their best - 3 to 4 weeks minimum. After that, you will get a fuller sound and a much better mid-range, with the bass becoming more apparant.:)

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice - I look forward to them reaching their run-in period :). My MPS-150 improved quite dramatically after a few short weeks. I always calibrate to 85db with AVIA so will let you know if I hear anything of what you describe.

7. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Okay, I've just tried the test tone again using Avia and I've managed to fix the problem.

The crackling sound was audible due to the binding posts behind the micro's not being tighten in - because I use banana plugs to plug the speaker cable into the micro's, I didn't feel the need to tighten the binding posts as you would if you were connecting bare-wire into it.

Thanks for your help though.:)

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great news that it was nothing important (and that you fixed it) :).

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope waiting until I have all six in place, which judging by the cost of christmas could be a while.

As said running in is crucial with the gallos, Micros became richer, smoother and developed a deeper soundstage.
    the sub didn't seem able to distinguish between bass notes at first, all the bass sounded the same, this disappeared after a week, after two it was much tighter, accurate, clean and musical.