1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVIA and other home theatre setup DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by NickLovett, Dec 16, 2002.

1. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone offer any good advice regarding which disc is the best value for setting up my home cinema kit ?
    They seem quite expensive...any tips on best place to obtain a copy would be appreciated.

Nick

2. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if u use the search tool on the forum u will find this topic has been covered in detail:D

3. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Avia is completey exhaustive in its approach but also quite straight forward. With regards to the picture set-up it still boils down to contrast, brightness, sharpness, hue and tint (NTSC) settings and I'm not sure its worth it for these five adjustments. Its sound set-up is more useful and my system is sounding much better following avia calibration. Still following initial setup it's unlikely you will use it much and it is v. expensive. I got mine from Amazon $37 plus postage plus £10 import duty and tax.:(

4. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docsmith2k1

You should consider loaning it out to fellow enthusiasts for a few quid a time ;)

That way the rest of us can set-up our systems without major outlay and you can recoup some of yours..

Just a thought if your interested?

regards

huss

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, been said before - Avia is the best currently available calibration disc.

Expensive but invaluable in setup. Most (well me anyway) HC enthusiasts upgrade/change equipment regularly, so it get's used quite often.

6. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docsmith2k1

If u are interested in selling it please let me know ???. It seems not everyone wants to lend copies, this way I can buy it set my system up and sell it on....

7. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone has a spare copy of AVIA that they no longer need, I would be willing to pay £25 if its in good condition. Ideally want it before Xmas if possible.

Let me know
    Thanks
    Nick

8. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Being of an honest and generous nature, and knowing that other forum members are the same - I would be willing to "loan" the disc out for the cost of return postage and packing:)
    If people are interested you can PM me. It would have to be on a first come basis - and you name would be MUD on these forums if it came back damaged - or even worse - not at all.

9. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very grateful if you could lend me your copy of AVIA over Xmas as I have just bought an SPL ready for some serious tweaking over Xmas.
    Please get in touch asap
    Cheers

Nick
    nick_lovett@yahoo.com

10. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docsmith2k1

you have PM

11. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Docsmith2k1 was extremely generous by lending me his copy of AVIA over the new year and the benefits to my system has been substancial.
    Not only did I find out that I only partially had my rear speakers working (thought it sounded a bit lifeless in the run up to Xmas), but the subwoofer tune up has really improved my system by bringing the bass back into movies and TV.

I was watching Goldeneye on ITV last night using DOLBY PRO-Logic II, and the rear surrounds (KEF eggs) were producing better surround effects than some of my DVD collection and the bass was stomach turning.

I have just bought the Godfather Trilogy (£27.99) and BTTF Trilogy (£24.99) from Woolies and I can't wait until the weekend to have some wall to wall DVD viewing.

Docsmith2k1 - I have posted the disc back to you via recorded delivery yesterday....your a star !!!

12. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for this extremely stupid question.

At the moment I only used AVIA to calibrate my PJ, speakers are calibrated by receiver's internal test tone.

With receiver internal test tone (I have a Denon 3802), for each channel I read the reading in SPL and adjust the volume with the +/- button, NOT the main volumes control. But what should I adjust while using AVIA? The main volumes control? It doesn't sound right to adjust the main volume during calibration isn't it?

Thanks for your help.

13. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Nick,

Thanks I received the disc in the post today - in perfect condition. Your compensation was more than generous. Huss - your next if you still want a loan of AVIA pm me with your address.

I agree with you Nick that the sound dramatically improved after calibration. I realised I had been mistaking boom for bass, but not any more. One thing though an SPL meter is pretty much essential to get the most out of the disc. I got mine from Tandy.

Potato

When using avia and an SPL they recommend you set you main volume control so that the SPL is reading 85dB, then adjust the setting for individual channels using the test tones until all 5.1 channels are outputting 85dB. I've got to say 85dB is quite loud and my view is to calibrate at your normal listening levels, for me this is about 78dB.
    The most useful calibration tools for me were the bass sweeps, its difficult to know what 85dB of bass sounds like and also there was a large "hole" in my bass output at around 80htz, which was corrected by adjusting the bass crossover setting. I would never have known this without the test tones and an SPL to measure them with, but the improvement in sound quality is amazing now this has been corrected.
    Good Luck

Andy

14. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have pm:)

15. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docsmith2k1,

Thanks for the reply and the procedure. But my problem is when the test tone came out from each individual channel, say now the test tone is on the FL, where should I turn the volume up (or down) for that channel? The main volume control? I think the main control is for all channels.

When calibrated with receiver test tone, each individual channel has a separate volume control on OSD, I only need to adjust that particular channel by press +/- key, not the main volume control.

The test tone for SW is jumping around, never settle at one point even though I didn't touch anything, how do I know the reading then?

Another stupid question. I'm using an analog SPL meter, how can I know that it's now 85dB? It only read -10 to +10 (I think, or somthing like that, but not 85) on the meter.

Thank you very much once again.

16. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Potato,

I'm a newbie here, but my understanding is that with the receiver main volume set to 0db each channel should register 85db from the AVIA test tone. So you would set master volume to 0db and then adjust the individual channel volumes to atain 85db.

If your SPL meter is the RadioShack model, you need to rotate the control until 80 is shown next to the range marker. 85db is indicated when the meter read +5db, or you can set the range to 90 and adjust until the meter reads -5db.

Hope this helps,
    --
    Keith

17. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Potato

I am not familiar with your particular amplifier, but you are correct. Your main volume control knob controls the overall volume that you listen at. Your amplifier will also have the ability to vary the output from individual channels in its setup menu. It usually allows you to vary the volume of individual channels in 1dB steps.
    So you set your main volume control to a level (it may not be 0dB) that registers 85dB on your SPL meter(Keith is correct in his explaination on the use of an SPL), you then play a test tone through individual channels and adjust the individual levels until they are all balanced at 85dB.
    It is surprising how different these are, for example my centre channel volume was reduced by 9dB and subwoofer by 14dB to get every thing balanced - the rear surrounds both increased by 5dB.This is with a top of the range Yamaha amp. Trust me you have not heard your system at its best until all channels are balanced.
    Good Luck
    Andy

18. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keiths and docsmith2k1,

Thank you very much for your explanation, especially the part on using the SPL meter. Currently I am calibrated with the receiver's test tone, set control to 70 and calibrated all channels to 0 on the meter, I never know how to set the SPL meter, only know that I should set all channels to the same reading. With what I had done, the overall volume while watching movie is very low, I need to turn the main volume to around -25 (while using -30 or lower for radio) in order to get a decent sound. Now I see what was the problem :)

docsmith2k1:
    I understand that my receiver (Denon-3802, I only have it for less than 2 months) can vary the output from individual channels in its setup menu, but this only apply to the test tone from the receiver, not when using AVIA's test tone. Do you mean there is another setup for all channels which is independent from test tone?

I will check my manual again for this.

Thank you very much once again for this precious information.

19. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump;)

20. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    docsmith2k1 you have another PM
    :)

21. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docsmith2k1, I have sent you a PM.

ditton

22. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Potato
    You wrote
    "I understand that my receiver (Denon-3802, I only have it for less than 2 months) can vary the output from individual channels in its setup menu, but this only apply to the test tone from the receiver, not when using AVIA's test tone. Do you mean there is another setup for all channels which is independent from test tone?"

I have the 3802 and as I understand it, you play the AVIA's test tones and go into the same individual channel setup menu that you used when setting up the receiver's test tones and vary the output for each channel from there. I don't know of any other channel set up menu.
    From the manual it looks like you can customise the set up of the output from each channel in different modes, e.g. stereo, DPL11 or DD, effectively varying the output balance for each mode.
    I'd like to point out that I haven't set mine up with a disc yet, so I could be wrong.

23. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's just speaker levels you are interested in it's always my belief that Video Essentials is the better option. AVIA comes into it's own for VIDEO and speaker troubleshooting and IS more complicated than Video Essentials. So for someone with experience AVIA is better but for a beginner I've got to go with Video Essentials, made for the layman but used by all.

The Ultimate DVD Platinum is the other well known test disc but this is only good for demo material and it's the only test DVD I know that is fully DTS supported.

24. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docsmith2k1

By now you should have your copy of AVIA returned.

Just a big public thanks for the loan to us guys and your trusting nature.

:clap: :clap:

Any excuse to use some of these new smilies...;)

25. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Your welcome.
    So far you have been a pleasure to deal with.

26. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bladeboy,

Thanks for your information, sorry that I didn't read this until now, because I thought no one is going to answer this ;-)

As far as I know, in order to get into the channel's setup screen (OSD) I have to play the test tone from receiver, and this is why I don't know what to do when play the test tone from AVIA, how do I disable the test tone from 3802 but still with access to the speaker channel's setup menu?

I did realised that I can customise the set up of the output from each channel in different modes, but what about dts?

Yesterday a friend came over and we watched 5th Elements SB R1, he complained right from the beginning when dts demo was played that the setup is lack of surround, and I think he is right, somehow something is missing behind when this dts demo was played, not the same feeling like when in cinema, the sound goes from one side to the back and to another side again, but is it normal not to have this in HT?

Othr thing is when dts is played, it shows NEO:6 and I can't changed it to dts (no such options) but the dts indicator was on, is it normal?

Or perhaps should I ask this question on Receiver forum?

Thanks once again.

27. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Potato,

To sort out the DTS playback problem, just keep pressing the Dolby/DTS surround button on the remote to toggle between DD/DTS and neo:6. Alternatively, just keep pressing the mode button until it selects Auto and it should play whatever it receives from the source.
    As for the channel levels, I have since discovered that if you set them up for say, DD, then dpl and dts will go to the same setting, but these are independent of direct and external, whereas if you change the settings for direct, then external will be the same but dd/dpl and dts will not be affected.
    To change the levels, play your test signals from the disc and then press the menu/osd button on the remote, it will start with front left and each time you press the menu/osd button, it will move on to the next speaker, to adjust the level of any speaker press the tuner up or down button.

good luck,

bb

28. potato

potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much bladeboy for the information, I'll try it out tonight.