1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avia - A Negative comment - fair?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kinch, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Kinch

Kinch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I was just reading up on Amazon about Avia versus DVE before buying one of them. It seemed that Avia was winning easily until this came along...

"First off, if you want to calibrate your LCD, plasma, LCOS, or DLP TV, do *not* get the Avia Guide DVD. This guide was published in 1999 and about 2/3 of the video calibration tests do not apply to non-CRT TVs (direct view or projection). For example, all the needle and convergence tests are useless for flat panel TVs. A lot of the introductory material is also out of date. Even the two actors look out of date.
    "

I want for calibrating my Z3 - is what the guy said true/fair and is Avia still relevant for LCD projector configuration. If not, then what is?

Based on other threads it would seem so but maybe its worthy of a little discussion???

Kinch

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Avia still holds up very well by today's standards and I for one would not be without it.

Definitely the most important disc in my collection.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    It has the most important patterns for adjusting black and white level, and loads of patterns for overscan and other stuff still very relevant to LCD ptrojection.

However, the audio tests do not cater for 6 or 7.1 systems. So I do think it needs updating.
    There also isn't a PAL version so your calibrations may only be accurate for NTSC material.

I think it is a useful disc, but must admit for the most important tests (black & white level) any Pal DVD with THX optimiser can give you a pretty good calibration.

4. Kinch

Kinch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting point about the THX screens - I had mentioned that on another vaguely related post and had been told that the THX tests lacked consistency - thinking about that I'm not really sure what that means in effect. If I run all the THX tests as well as I can am I 50%/75%/99% there
    towards a good/optimal configuration?

On the sound test fron, in these days of self-adjusting amps do the audio tests offer any value-add?

Kinch

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    AVIA actually has lots of very useful test patterns. However I never use it anymore except for Y/C delay pattern. Everything I need is on DVE and the original VIDEO ESSENTIALS. It's worth having though just so you can go to a pattern and look at the extra on disc info about what they are for. Very helpful if you are starting out and interested in this sort of stuff.

Gordon

6. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry but do you mean DVE and Original VE, or the DVE supersedes completely the other? I'm also with the same problem of the original poster: deciding what tunning disc to buy.

7. Kinch

Kinch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon
    So am I to take it then that you would recommend the DVE over Avia if one were to buy one or the other?

Would you pour scorn on the THX tests?

Cheers
    Kinch

8. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    and of course you have hours of fun just trying to find something on DVE....

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Once you've worked out how to navigate DVE it's easy.....unfortunately I had to use mine for 4 months until a customer showed me! hahahaha. I use VE for the greyscale patterns on it as there are not enough on DVE to give me an accurate gamma curve analysis. Those patterns are also available on AVIA but I find it easier to navigate through them on VE. Personal preference. I'm about to order DVE Pro.....so even more bloody test discs to carry about.

THX patterns are specific to the film and should only be used on that single disc as far as I am aware. Really I have to say that £20 to learn about video and to either confirm you are already a video god...or even better, to get your picture better, is a bargain....most folk don't have an issue spending £100's on cables....when a disc like one of these would probably be a much better investment.....

If you only want to buy one then I'd say get one of the DVE's......or AVIA....no DVE....no Peter Frinzel.....doh!

Gordon

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I like VE for the mixed cadence live action sequence.
    (not a lot I don't like on VE to be honest)

I like Avia for the ease of use of the common patterns especially for colour.
    I don't like the lack of BTB and WTW but thats not to say its not a useful disc. There are some truly awe inspiring examples of late 20th century knitwear and hair dye technology to behold.

I like DVE for the grayscale ramp with black and white point indicator.
    I hate everything else about it though..I hate the rollercoaster...I hate the navigation menus ...manually selecting titles and chapters is the only way I can get it to work in any meaningful way. I don't like not having a wider range of window patterns especially as they are present on VE (and Avia). The patterns themselves are hard to fault though.

I hate the test footage : cries of ****er ! ****er! as each new saddo pops up.... whats with the maniac dressed as the statue of liberty??Scares the kids that one!

Horrible nasty CGI flowers. The plateful of carrots with the toyboy and his elderly crumpet waffling away.

Aaargh! Aaargh!

The room acoustic properties examples...Aaarghh! what is with these pod people!!!

The wooshy twee music over the shuttle footage (those things are a deathtrap for cripes sake , the Vader march from star wars would be more appropriate!)

There are simply not enough Amish people in the new one for my liking.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    keith: You missed out the cameo by Joe Kane himself in the footage on DVE...Yes...who is that mystery man in the background pouring that nice looking Chablis.....why it's Capt Video himself

Gordon

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    I oprefer Avia because it's what I;m used to and because I have an HTPC so I don;t need a PAL specific DVD. I'm still trying to find where those blinkuing test patterns are.. :)

Keith,

Great post! Made me chuckle. So true!!. :)

Gordon,

So THAT's JK is it? Why'd he give up the day job?

BTW - found the info on the Snell and Wilcox patterns for the calibration thread?

Gary.