AVI vs MP4

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm not even sure if this is the right location to start my thread

I'm trying to determine the "best" video format to play on a PS3 in terms of overall quality and file compression (i.e. not taking too much disk space escpecially on a portable hard disk)

would you go for AVI or MP4?

Does not matter, depends on how much compression is done in either format, so could look great or bad as each other, depends on the source material.

The format does not matter, the bigger the file size usually the better the image as there is less compression. Really only looking at both formats side by side you can make a real judgement. Just have a play for a few days and decide.

Stick with blu-ray discs for ease of use and original quality

Last edited:
Bigger file size mean better quality you mean? is that so? would that be down to how many bitrate the video and audio is?

and would bigger files size = better quality = more disk space?

AVI is a container and not a video or audio format. I think MP4 is also a container format.

Video codec wise the PS3 is perfectly happy with h264 video which you can put in an MP4 container along with audio of your choice.

AVI is a container and not a video or audio format. I think MP4 is also a container format.

Video codec wise the PS3 is perfectly happy with h264 video which you can put in an MP4 container along with audio of your choice.

Haven't used AVI containers in such a long time- isn't it usually DivX and Xvid codecs that use AVI ? I much prefer h264 codec (mp4 container or mov, m4v) which offers a great quality at a lower bitrate so file sizes don't need to be as big and quality is still great.

I tend to find that mp4 has a better quality visually than avi, so I'd go with mp4.

I tend to find that mp4 has a better quality visually than avi, so I'd go with mp4.

MP4 is not a video format, it has no visual quality.

So Mp4 is no more better than AVI then?

So Mp4 is no more better than AVI then?

No, as I keep saying they're containers, you could have an avi with h264 video or an mp4 with h264 video or an mkv with h264 video.

Although as wastedyuthe said, avis tend to use older video codecs such as divx or xvid.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom