1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI versus VD tape quality?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by brado, May 20, 2004.

1. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot understand why an AVI file made from a DV tape using Studio 8, is slightly pixelated when viewed full screen, when compared to the original.
    I can make an edited project and transfer it back to tape. The quality of this is the same as the original.
    Am I doing something wrong, or is this to be expected?
    Thanks for any help.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The pixelation on your PC will be to do with the monitor &/or the actual PC and not the quality of the video captured on the HDD. As you say it is fine when copied back to tape, so there can't be any problems with the capture etc.
    A PC monitor will never display video in the same quality as a TV screen as it was never desuigned for this. If the final output is fine then why worry?

Mark.

3. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was hoping to use my computer to store and view the files, either on the Hard drive or on a VCD, instead of viewing from the camcorder tape, which is superior even on the PC monotor. A tape image has no pixelation on the monitor. I still cannot understand as I have not used a TV for this comparison.

I use WinTV for viewing tape images, which are excellent when displayed full screen on a 19" Trinitron monitor