1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to MPeg2

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Billywhizz, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Billywhizz

Billywhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have TMPGEnc. I am trying to convert AVI to MPeg2 without losing quality but wanting to get decent amount of footage on a CD-R. What settings do I need to have? The program initially converted the avi to mpeg1 but this quality was fairly pants. I've heard mpeg2 is better. At the moment when I choose mpeg2 it just gives me an audio track, not sure what's going on????...

Gamesmaster can u help?

2. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    first make sure you have an mpeg2 codec... if you've bought any packages they might supply one (like Mainconcept MPEG1/2) or download Elecards mpeg2 codec (watermarks the encode if you use the demo)

in TMPGenc don't forget to deinterlace the source, as pretty much all DV footage will be interlaced.

make sure you set the bitrates correctly.. i always do a 2-pass (4/5 in CCE, 2 in tmpg) encode of around 2250 or higher (SVCD compliant so i can burn to SVCD on a CDR and watch on the DVD player)

results are generally fairly good. if you have a DVD burner or simply just want a "smaller" format than AVI, try encoding to DVD spec (higher resolutions and bitrates)

3. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Billy

forget 'de-interlacing' 'doing a second pass' or 'manually setting the bitrate'.

If you want to get it on a disc with little discerable loss of quality, add some titles and music to show to the family then follow this link.

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2beta.asp

It will squash 32 mins onto a CDR at best quality (2060kbps) and does away with the need to have the knowledge of a BBC technician to use you footage.

K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid

Happy Christmas

Thats another tenner in the bank from Microsoft

4. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those new to digital video editing (like me) I have to suggest that that those of you with newer computers running XP follow this link for some excellent free software from Microsoft.

Microsoft have produced this excellent updated, but currently Beta, version of their Windows Movie Maker.

Not to put too fine a point on it, ITS FREE, its idiot proof and I've just turned my daughters christmas nativity into a masterpiece to rival Saving Private Ryan (but without the sniper scene).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...emaker2beta.asp

Although Pinnacle 8 is easy to use and offers more than the new Movie Maker, Microsoft have finally provided a package that equals if not exceeds Apple's iMovie.

Its so easy my 6 year old can use it.

It squashes 32 mins onto a CDR at 2060kbps without the need to 'de-interlace', 'do a second pass' or 'manually set the bitrate'.

K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid

5. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    1. 32mins isn't very long.. 45mins at optimum quality is a better aim
    2. deinterlacing is essential
    3. microsofts encoder is poor compared to TMPG and very poor compared to CCE
    4. CBR == death and 2060 is pretty low if you dont want quality loss

rather than keeping it simple, learn how to do things properly and be proud of your achievements. it doesn't take a genius to learn how to do simple encoding, and you'll be a lot more accomplished than relying on a "press go" program. heck, TMPG even gives you a template AND a wizard to get you started, so its not a big deal.

BBC technician? hell no. maybe a C5 tech... :)

6. Billywhizz

Billywhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

I'm a determined kinda chap and want to be able to use this TMPG s/ware.

I start, I'm there with my handy screen where I select the source video. When I browse and select the avi file i have created and exported from premier 6 i get an error message with the file path in " " can not open or unsupported.

Unyet if I go Program files/Adobe/Premier/and select a file from this folder; This being a clip (still avi) that has not been exported from premier it allows me to encode it???????????????????
    Why????????
    Both files are avi so why can't i encode the edited and exported clip?? :mad: