Avi playback via usb sony 32EX500

stone2

Standard Member
Hi all
I have just purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-32EX500 and am having some issue's with playing avi files off a usb stick. Some files like a 4GB mp4 plays fine and some small xvid and dvix play fine but here's where it gets really strange. I have some xvid movies that contain samples..u know just a small clip of the movie. Now these samples play fine and they have exactly the same encoding properties as the full move but when i try to play the full movie the tv says "Playback not available".
Does anyone know whats going on?
Cheers and salutations :thumbsup:

stone2

Standard Member
Guess it's not important enough eh...
Either that or no ones' got a clue...thought there were some really informed people on this site!!!

uktoppy

Standard Member
It sounds like you are encoding the sample to a different spec so surely you would be able to determine what was knackering it?

stone2

Standard Member
Nope, it's a movie I downloaded and it came with a small sample file and according to 'MediaInfo' it has exactly the same specs as the full movie. I'm stuck...
Btw thanks for the reply.:)

trickyharris

Standard Member
Im wondering what makes it so picky and I can only think there is some codec it doesnt like.
Use a programme called mediainfo which will tell you all the info on the file, then see, what if anything, is different to the samples.

trickyharris

Standard Member
Nope, it's a movie I downloaded and it came with a small sample file and according to 'MediaInfo' it has exactly the same specs as the full movie. I'm stuck...
Btw thanks for the reply.:)
LOL, seems i was writing my reply as you were..

Is the main file 1080p? - Try converting the file to divx?

stone2

Standard Member
I think I'm gonna write this problem off as it's seem Sony is quite quirky with it's supported file formats. FYI I don't have the source but it was a Blueray.
I was hoping I would be able to play most divx and xvid movies via the tv's usb but will probably end up buying a media player.
Thanks for the help tho...:D
Here is the nfo info on the movie if your interested.

Runtime......: 104 Min
Size.........: 1.85 GB
Source.......: FULL Bluray Disc
Resolution...: 720x304
SA...........: BVOP: YES | QPEL: NO | GMC: NO
Framerate....: 24.000
Video........: 2036 Kbps
Audio........: 448 Kbps
Language.....: English

sdss

Standard Member
did you ever get to the root of this problem?

the tv does seem decidedly picky.

files with the exact same codecs don't always work:
for example it'll accept Xvid and MP3 audio on one file but not another.

One very slight difference i've noticed is the "Writting application" (according to MediaInfo) - on the file that works it sats "VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)" whereas the one that doesn't work states "transcode-1.0.6"
Could that explain any difference?

here's a workaround - run the file through Virtualdub in 'direct stream copy' for both audio and video and that appears to fix the issue. It doesn't change the formats etc which leads me think this is an error with the way in which some software is setting the headers etc. (Virtualdub highlights the following error with the original (non playing) files - "A non-zero wBitsPerSample value was detected in the MP3 audio format structure. This has been corrected in-memory to zero for better compatibility with commonly installed MP3 audio codecs.")

any input from anyone else would be appreciated.

Last edited:

stone2

Standard Member
Thanks ssds,
No I never did find out why I was having this problem but will definitely try your suggestion. Will let you know how it turns out.
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom