avi & mp4 onto dvd

fizzgog

hi guys, what is the best app to put an avi file and an mp4 file (films) onto dvd's

i have toast 8 but the avi file came out with no sound and the mp4 came out with no picture. they both play okay on vlc beforehand.

thanks
pete

jont

Are you putting the files on as 'data' or are you trying to create a 'video dvd' to play in an external dvd player ?

If its the former then Toast should have no probs but mak esure the mac/pc you play it back on is able to understand the codecs properly - using vlc is probably best as it seems to cope with everything !!

... if its the latter you will need to convert the avi and mp4 files to mpeg2 to make a dvd ...

Jon

fizzgog

Are you putting the files on as 'data' or are you trying to create a 'video dvd' to play in an external dvd player ?

If its the former then Toast should have no probs but mak esure the mac/pc you play it back on is able to understand the codecs properly - using vlc is probably best as it seems to cope with everything !!

... if its the latter you will need to convert the avi and mp4 files to mpeg2 to make a dvd ...

Jon

hi Jon, thanks for the reply. it is to play on an external dvd player.
do you know of any good mpeg2 convertors?
cheers
pete

fizzgog

norealplan

fizzgog

There's your answer^

i know but in the mpeg streamclip app i can only see the option to save as mov, avi or mp4 - please could you tell me how to convert to mpeg2?
thanx
pete

sammy4499771

I see your problem now. You could try to import both the audio and video file into imovie and sync them up, then export them to iDVD and burn to DVD.

jont

fizzgog

thanks for all the replies folks. i have since purchased the quicktime mpepg2 codec but that never helped:eek: . i will try the other suggested apps and see if they work
cheers
pete

jont

Gentall ... is that not a windows program ? AFAIK fizzgog is looking for a mac program to run ...

Jon

norealplan

Maybe you can try winavi video converter. It can convert AVI/MP4 to DVD format without reauthoring. Besides, it seems has a built-in burn engine too.

Gentall ... is that not a windows program ? AFAIK fizzgog is looking for a mac program to run ...

Jon

Yes it's for PC, downloads an .exe file.

I sent you a PM fizzgog, it can be done with MPEG Streamclip, but my memory seems to be escaping me at the moment. I'll continue to look into for you, and and ask about!

Ger

Why not just use iMovie & iDVD? My wife's stills camera outputs movies in avi and I have used iMovie to put these onto DVD. It should also handle mp4. Just import them all into iMovie, make the movie and export this to iDVD.

fizzgog

Why not just use iMovie & iDVD? My wife's stills camera outputs movies in avi and I have used iMovie to put these onto DVD. It should also handle mp4. Just import them all into iMovie, make the movie and export this to iDVD.

imovie hd did it but the file size was a whopping 24gb. idvd is now in the process of scaling it back down, lol
thanx
pete
im trying again but saving to mpeg4 this time - we will get there in the end EDIT - time remaining 144mins ,lol

editor

Standard Member
For all your conversion problems, use FFMPEG, its the best and available free from macupdate or Versiontracker, some of its capabilities though need to be paid for, you can get around this by getting a serial of the net, cannot encourage you in this forum though so try mac serial junkie (MSJ) - a very useful site.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom