Avi - Dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tech, Dec 21, 2006.

1. tech

tech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have loads of .AVI films and movies click but I dont want to watch these on my pc, I would like to rip these to DVD and watch on a normal DVD player, I have tried using Nero but when it rips them into DVD format, you have to watch to whole movie, is there a quicker way to convert from .avi to DVD format

Thanks

2. tech

tech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone

3. dmurray0

dmurray0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There are lots of conversion progs out there. What do you mean "you have to watch the whole film." I use a prog called vsoConvertXtoDVD. There's also Cucusoft Pro Convertor. I'm running a AMD Dual Core processor and it'll convert a 700mb avi in 25 minutes.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    He means that the film is being re-encoded in real time and is asking is there software out there which will permit him to copy such a file in a useable form without re-encoding. i.e. Cloning not encoding.

5. DJBenz

DJBenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Simple answer is no. AVI's are (usually) MPEG-4, and DVD is MPEG-2 so re-encoding is unavoidable. It's also worth noting that with any re-encoding you'll lose quality.

I've heard good things about ConvertXtoDVD mentioned above, also I believe that WinAVI will do the same job. Personally, when I've done the same job I've used AVI2DVD and CCE (Cinemacraft Encoder), which is slow, but retains as much quality as possible. Of course, you'll need an authoring program such as DVD-Lab to convert to DVD VOB format after that.

Guide: http://uk.geocities.com/misterbarlow

Now, I don't bother converting, I burn to disc or stream over my network to a modified xbox running Xbox Media Center.