AVG Antivirus update warning! PC crashes!

CooperUK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know many people here use AVG as it was recommended here a while back, but a recent update has caused me a real headache.

Both of our PCs at home have been running AVG quite happily for ages, but after the latest round of XP updates it has crashed our systems. It makes the PCs reboot continuously!

Before doing your XP updates, be warned and remove AVG and find an alternative until a fix is found.

BTW - there are MANY people out there on the web complaining of the same thing and some having had to reinstall their entire systems.

I'm now using EZ Antivirus on a year's free trial as an alternative.

Interesting! Do you have any links to other forums/AVG Site where this is discussed?

cheers

Gavin

just had the massive update. no problems here....

Not got my desktop on at the moment, so fingers crossed that will install ok

Dal

Hmm going to give it a couple of more tries but have just downloaded latest XP updates now (running AVG) and PC has frozen 3 times this evening :eek: :mad:

Will let it go for tonight but after this will have to do somthing but its bloody annoying. AVG has been fine for me up til now. And not sure whether its just me but does anyone else see a cynical ploy on behalf of MS to cause probs for any competition???? :confused:

I have Windows XP and AVG Antivirus and have updated and have no problem so perhaps its a conflict elsewhere in your system causing this.

Next time your system freezes try using CTRL ALT and Delete ( press all 3 at same time ) when the box appears see if anything is eating up your system resources and causing this freeze and if it is then shut it down.

Both my systems are fully updated and have no problems.

No problems for me either so far.

Can recommend VCom's SystemSuite 5 (anti-virus + effective utilities package), for anyone interested. Been using their products since they were Minjenix then Ontrack - so, about 9 years. They use TrendMicro virus table patterns, with free updates almost daily. Has helped kill even the trickiest trojans for me in the past. Costs about £34 (I downloaded my version), but I've never had to pay for any updates, either system or anti-virus.

I'm on XP and AVG and mine has been freezing as well.

smelly said:
Hmm going to give it a couple of more tries but have just downloaded latest XP updates now (running AVG) and PC has frozen 3 times this evening :eek: :mad:

Will let it go for tonight but after this will have to do somthing but its bloody annoying. AVG has been fine for me up til now. And not sure whether its just me but does anyone else see a cynical ploy on behalf of MS to cause probs for any competition???? :confused:
Well have had no problems after the initial 3 times :confused:

Fingers crossed it'll be ok now :rolleyes:

2 x Win2003 Server and AVG all ok here as well.

It might be that MS's upadate messed with the built in detection of an AV programme. When it found one, it may then have not recognized it as MS's own and frozen. After a few re-boots it may well have sorted itself. Another recent update by MS caused problems between the OS and Nortons AV, with it continually asking for you to set up MS AV as the system was 'vunerable'. It didn't matter if you reset Windows Security, it just lost the settings again. This was identified by MS and fixed................

However, woke up this morning to find my Win2003 server had rebooted during the night, no blue screen error or nothing.....checking through the event logs, and its done it for the last 3 nights, all about the same time. Something fishy there!

I use avast and just had an xp update and no probs here,I used to use AVG and had a few probs around 12 months ago so swithed to avast and system has been more stable since.

If you are having probs maybe try avast, it's free see link below.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Hi,

Have AVG (Free Edition), and use Windows XP Home Ed. No problems with any of their updates over recent weeks at all.

It does sound like it's a System thing, unique to some combination of AVG, Win XP and another piece of software, rather than AVG itself.

Pooch

same really ....though i did get a message saying avg needed to be re-installed,which i did with no other problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom