Quantcast

AVG 8.0 - conflict with anti spyware - help

Sad099

Ok Folks some advice please re AVG08
NB - I have also put this info in the AVG 8.0 thread in General chat-- but thought it might be better here too - with all the PC knowledge thats overflowing in this area:D

I have Win XP with SP3 installed
I have the following security installed
AVG08
Ad-Aware 2008
Spybot S&D
Spyware blaster
Hijack this

Whenever I run AVG08 it finds things in the Activex registry - apparantly according to AVG FAQ they say programmes with a "immunisation" feature do not work with AVG - particularly Spybot S&D is mentioned

Ie that these progs need to put the virus / spyware in the registry to be able to scan for them - AVG picks these up as a virus ?

However according to the AVG scan it lists the path with Adaware in it
Make sense ?

What I want to know is does anyone else get this and how to resolve ?
Also whats the best combination of Free software to use to give me all round protection please
Ie good antivirus , spyware etc

Thanks

Old_Biker_John

Novice Member
. . . . good antivirus , spyware etc
Hi Sad099,

I used AVG for years, but their latest version simply hogs my system's resources and slows down my applications enormously.

I now happily use Avira Free antivirus. It is much less intrusive and uses fewer system resources than AVG 8. It also found a couple of nasties that AVG missed. (admittedly they were not 'active', but simply sitting in a bundle of files that I had downloaded and not installed)

Microsoft Windows Defender works fine as antispyware for me with XP.

Hope this helps a bit.:)

John.

Sad099

Hi
I'll look into them - thanks

Hi Sad099,

I used AVG for years, but their latest version simply hogs my system's resources and slows down my applications enormously.

I now happily use Avira Free antivirus. It is much less intrusive and uses fewer system resources than AVG 8. It also found a couple of nasties that AVG missed. (admittedly they were not 'active', but simply sitting in a bundle of files that I had downloaded and not installed)

Microsoft Windows Defender works fine as antispyware for me with XP.

Hope this helps a bit.:)

John.

Top Bottom