AVForums UK Exclusive Review: JVC LT-42WX70 LCD Monitor

YellowSphere

Novice Member
That's an impressive calibration result! Sounds like a gorgeous display. Any idea if they'll be bringing out larger sizes?

Slightly OT I know, but any news on a Toshiba 42AV635 review?

MAX1210

This TV (sorry monitor!) is on display at my local independant (Aurac Sound & Vision in Horsham, West Sussex) and I have to say it's a gorgeous set to look at. Close to wall mounting should be easy as well, i peeked round the back and there are no protruding connections on the back like the typical pana's etc they go in either up or sideways in a little recess in the back of the set

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
There were rumours of a 47" so long as the 42" is successful. Ive had one up in the office for a while and have to say I really like it (so long as it's viewed on-axis and you turn OFF pretty much all of the enhancement stuff!). I haven't read that review but if his experience is anything like my own, once you get your head around their CMS you can calibrate it to almost perfection. For an LCD.

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
There were rumours of a 47" so long as the 42" is successful. Ive had one up in the office for a while and have to say I really like it (so long as it's viewed on-axis and you turn OFF pretty much all of the enhancement stuff!). I haven't read that review but if his experience is anything like my own, once you get your head around their CMS you can calibrate it to almost perfection. For an LCD.

How far away is something like from say a top plasma or one of the latest viera's?

Is there still a decent gap or is it closing all the time?

Maybe I missed it but the review does not state what sort of panel is used in this set.
I didn't mention it from the review, but I think it's from AU Optronics.

How far away is something like from say a top plasma or one of the latest viera's?

Is there still a decent gap or is it closing all the time?
There's a colour management system on this display, which isn't a feature of the latest Panasonics (for shame!) Colour reproduction (on-axis!) is better than any other consumer display that I can think of.

Greyscale is still a little worse than on the latest calibrated Panasonic Plasmas, but not by far.

Last edited:

NonPayingMember

Pretty much as David says. I still don't get on with shadow detail or off-axis viewing as my biggest gripes. It's about the same as current new generation panels for viewing angles i.e. they are better than what they used to be but you still notice pretty much straight away if you have it at the right level sitting down but then stand up. Colour accuracy is amazing, I don't read too much into the 96% of Adobe RGB thing because REC709 only has so many colours it can give the display. But having a Radiance connected to a PF10 at home, and having calibrated Radiances with Kuro and Panasonic panels before this JVC is well and truly right in there. It's also a very sexy screen I have to contest, the same reason I like the panasonic pro panels for just having only the amount of bezel necessary in a non-reflective finish and otherwise shutting up and doing it's job.

Tell you what though, using it to show images from an SLR camera (which seems to be where JVC are marketing this TV) does half make you take a step back. Now we are talking a serious amount of on-screen colours. I've been mucking around trying to record some xvYCC HD material on camera to show it off too

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
...once you get your head around their CMS you can calibrate it to almost perfection. For an LCD.
Pretty much as David says. I still don't get on with shadow detail or off-axis viewing as my biggest gripes.
Is this what you mean when you can say you can calibrate it to almost perfection...for an lcd. i.e. the inherent weakness of LCD's is the off axis viewing and shadow detail?

Tony Lazzerini

Novice Member
Is this what you mean when you can say you can calibrate it to almost perfection...for an lcd. i.e. the inherent weakness of LCD's is the off axis viewing and shadow detail?
The picture quality of this display is VERY pleasing to the eye, and the sharpness and clarity of the image better than any plasma.

Viewed head-on, black level performance is absolutely astonishing for any LCD, and better than Panasonic's VX/PF Plasma models.

But to achieve the black level performance viewing angle is critical. If you want a much more usable TV for general viewing, JVCs current 42" TV is nearly as good picture-wise, but with normal LCD (lack of) blacks, and very good viewing angles.

mod comment: link removed

But the XIVIEW is the best LCD yet, and if colour accuracy is your thing, as well as plasma level blacks, then nothing else on the market can touch it.

JVC's TVs have come a long way since last year.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

NonPayingMember

I wouldn't say it betters plasma personally, the Panasonics still have better shadow detail for a start. Although to really get that out I need something like the Radiance to push it, where the JVC includes everything I could want to calibrate it well inside the box. It's almost like the Pioneer where black had to be crushed to get to being VERY low... The LED backlighting does make this very, very impressive with the JVC but I still can't put it ahead of the Panasonic plasma. I have turned off pretty much every enhancement JVC have and now have a spotlessly clean image with the JVC, but it still doesn't seem as sharp as the Panasonic 50" next to it, but I am also estimating for the difference. I think JVC should definitely go ahead and launch a 47" of this whatever the matter with is it better than plasma or not, because it's a bloody good TV no matter how you look at it.

The JVC is at the pooerer end of the viewing angle scale, though. Panasonic produce IPS-A panels which have unusually great viewing angle (but sub-par blacks)...

NonPayingMember

I know it's a weird way of thinking of it, but I see the Panasonics as always being slightly out. Rather than being fantastic on-axis but thus suffering a relatively bigger drop off-axis.

A bit like that smoothscreen crap they came out with on their LCD projectors back in the day

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
No it's because it's an LCD. They all do it bar none.
I appreciate that.

With the only real viable option in the plasma market being Panasonic I have started to look at LCD's again for the first time in 5 years and I am just surprised viewing angle is still such a big issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom