AVForums Squeezebox Duet discussion thread

mswarren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I like the idea of using a duet reciever, but rather than use the controller, I've read that you can use a nokia web tablet eg a n770 as the controller. I've had a look a the n770 skin in SqueezeCenter 7 and it looks great.

Am I right in thinking that you need a controller for the inital setup of the reciever, or is there a work around?

Any help / thoughts appreciated

Matthew

At the moment you need a controller to set it up. Then you can use any web browsing device. This is going to change with a plugin soon though. Keep an eye on the official forum.

Things seem very quiet on the Duet front and now it's been out for a while, I'm wondering what are people's overall opinions on it? Is it bug free or are there still niggles? Does the remote live up to expectations and so on? Any gripes, suggestions for improvement etc. etc. or is it just tip top tremendous?

I have the SB3 in the living room and use Softsqueeze on the bedroom PC but have considered another SB3 or SBR + Controller as an upgrade but have put it off as I had heard the Duet was a bit buggy.

Absolutely, yes.

As with any first generation products there are a few niggles. SqueezeCenter 7.0.1 has just been released and has addressed many of the networking issues (not playing nicely with some routers etc). I have had no major issues and i have been using one since early beta, but it has been a problem for some people; most of which are down to less than perfect wireless networks.

Overall, while there are some points that still need addressing, i think it's brilliant and getting better all the time - Slim Devices really do listen to the user community and add features people request. Audio playback via the controller's Wolfson DAC and headphone socket is developed as we speak (due for version 7.2 i believe) and loads of new features are being worked on by both Slim Devices and third party plugin developers etc.

I would not be without mine now, so much functionality at a relatively cheap price. I would recommend one to most people.

Audio playback via the controller's Wolfson DAC and headphone socket is developed as we speak (due for version 7.2 i believe)

This is the feature that most interests me. If I understand right, you'll be able to use the handset, with headphones, as a kind of personal stereo around the house?

Any idea when this feature will become available?

Where's the best place to read up on keep in touch. Is there an online community?

I'm happy with mine now that I've upgraded to Squeezecenter 7.0.1, I was getting the slow controller issue previously. I'm listening to all my CD's in wav format as I can hear the difference when comparing to flac and I also have the storage capacity.

My only issue is whether I can use some sort of replaygain using wav files rather than flac...something I have to look into, but it won't be the end of the world if I cant.

IMHO the Duet represents outstanding value for money.

Why would you want to use WAV's rather than FLAC?

EDIT...

I'm listening to all my CD's in wav format as I can hear the difference when comparing to flac and I also have the storage capacity.

How exactly can you tell the difference between 2 exact same things? It's simply not possible to hear a difference between FLAC and WAV, something else is happening - maybe Squeeze Centers transcoding setting have somehow been changed so your FLAC's where being transcoded to MP3's or something, but lossless is lossless mate - bit for bit its EXACTLY the same as WAV once it's decompressed. There are many people over on the Slim forums that are using £10,000k + systems that will tell you they sound the same.

I have one and am very happy. It simply works!

Graham

Very happy with mine (US import), had a few sound glitches at first but all sorted by connecting the receiver via ethernet(very thick walls!) into my Devolo Homeplug network and upgrading to the latest version of Squeezecenter.

Why would you want to use WAV's rather than FLAC?

EDIT...

How exactly can you tell the difference between 2 exact same things? It's simply not possible to hear a difference between FLAC and WAV, something else is happening - maybe Squeeze Centers transcoding setting have somehow been changed so your FLAC's where being transcoded to MP3's or something, but lossless is lossless mate - bit for bit its EXACTLY the same as WAV once it's decompressed. There are many people over on the Slim forums that are using £10,000k + systems that will tell you they sound the same.

I'll have to look into this...I tested the same CD ripped to flac & wav and could definitely tell the difference, but that was before I upgraded to 7.0.1. I'll have another go and report back when I get time.

I'll have to look into this...I tested the same CD ripped to flac & wav and could definitely tell the difference.

Quite impossible. There is no difference whatsoever. But I can easily imagine that you could convince yourself there is, in the same way that people are persuaded by purveyors of snake oil, like Russ Andrews, that different optical, USB and HDMI cables make a difference.

shezzy2k:
but that was before I upgraded to 7.0.1.

The server software would also make no difference. It seems that you do not understand fully how lossless codecs function; the flac data is streamed across the network, buffered (stored up) in the player, and then decoded in real-time back into wav format and fed into the DAC (or via the SPDIF output towards an external DAC) in onto your (preamp)/amp/speakers.

Similar to an unzipped document, the reconstituted wav is identical (bit for bit) to the original wav from which the flac file was encoded. Due to way that buffering, decoding and playback are processed, there is indeed no difference in the audible results of using flac or wav for network streaming. The advantages of using flac are not only using less storage space, but also lower network loads, etc.

HTH,

Michael B.

Yes very happy - I have two and am waiting for release of the stand alone receiver to add another two (adjacent) rooms. Did have a couple of networking issues to begin with, however another WAP solved the problem.

shezzy2k:
but that was before I upgraded to 7.0.1.

The server software would also make no difference. It seems that you do not understand fully how lossless codecs function; the flac data is streamed across the network, buffered (stored up) in the player, and then decoded in real-time back into wav format and fed into the DAC (or via the SPDIF output towards an external DAC) in onto your (preamp)/amp/speakers.

Similar to an unzipped document, the reconstituted wav is identical (bit for bit) to the original wav from which the flac file was encoded. Due to way that buffering, decoding and playback are processed, there is indeed no difference in the audible results of using flac or wav for network streaming. The advantages of using flac are not only using less storage space, but also lower network loads, etc.

HTH,

Michael B.

Thanks for the info...

Well I did run a blind test on this again in the last hour with the help of my better half. I re-ripped the same CD I used last time to flac and compared against my current wav files. I couldn't test under the same conditions as I am now running the Duet from a newly built standalone PC connected to my main amp & speakers rather than my other PC which runs some Edirol monitors.

As you and Autopilot suggested, I couldn't tell the difference. The only thing bugging me now is that I'm not sure why I noticed a difference before. I wouldn't consider myself prone to the "snake oil" theory as stated by others here, but I'm happy to stand corrected. I guess on a positive note that at least I can get the replaygain issue sorted.

As you and Autopilot suggested, I couldn't tell the difference. The only thing bugging me now is that I'm not sure why I noticed a difference before. I wouldn't consider myself prone to the "snake oil" theory as stated by others here, but I'm happy to stand corrected. I guess on a positive note that at least I can get the replaygain issue sorted.

Nothing to be ashamed of. It's called psycho-acoustic suggestion, or something.

I'm very happy with the performance of my Duet in the lounge - playing back on FLACs is miles improved over any CD playing equipment I currently have.

The SqueezeCenter software has provided a few niggles at times, but updates come thick'n'fast so its usually a non-starter. I'm streaming some ~3000 albums (approximately 500gb of data) from a dedicated W2K server and the performance is great over a wired networked.

The only aspect I'm not happy with is the release schedule for the equipment. Here we are at the end of May with still no sign of the extra receivers in the UK. Everytime I visit Ripcaster or the like the release date seems to creep forward another fortnight. Surely one of the big selling points of this system is being able to use it in multiple rooms?!

Had mine a month and really chuffed with it. Can't fault the sound, software was easy to set-up. Navigating around your music is simple and the handset screen is decent.

The only problem i had installing was my own idiocy of trying to put a 64bit password in as 128bit. Took battery out to start again and straight in. This does highlight an issue though, someone with little computer savvy might find it all a bit much - i know my mam would be better off spinning the silver discs. but if you're able to set up a network connection and use ripping s/w then SB is for you.

I've never any network problems and I'm just using the freebie BT hub.

My only criticism (and it is a minor one) is that the scrollwheel feels a bit cheap compared to iPod classic. you are physically rotating a plastic plate rather than the more modern feeling touch technology of iPod.

It felt like a leap into the dark spending nearly £300 on very new technology mail order without a listen, but i'm glad i did and personally i think it's great VFM. Now planning on SB+ or Transporter for another room next year, was gonna blow a grand on nice-badge CDP, but think it'd be daft now i've got all my music ripped. CDs are gonna gather dust in the loft along with Dorian Gray.

Got mine as soon as it came out, all part of moving to NAS based music. The Squeeze Center GUI is miles better than the Linn GUI, and I thought it was good value for £279 - I added the Beresford DAC and this substantially improved the sound.

I've had no issues with the Duet, it has worked faultlessly...

Make sure you demo a Linn Sneaky Music DS before you buy a Transporter, personally I think the Linn sounds better, or rather it suits my taste in music...

Mark
:)

Interesting Mesajoe I also got the Beresford DAC for Duet, and it sounds great i agree.

Just looked at Sneaky as you suggested and didn't previously realise it included an amp, interesting. I'm planning a new system from scratch for dining room next year, and this would potentially mean needed just a pair of speakers, great. How do you rate the Sneaky as an amp? or do you think it's better just as a source into a dedicated amp?

regards, doubledrop

How do you rate the Sneaky as an amp? or do you think it's better just as a source into a dedicated amp?
I've only used the Sneaky as a source, I use my Linn Movie as the pre amp/amp, but it is easy enough for me to try out the amp in the Sneaky... I'll get back to you on that one...

Mark

Looked at Linn's promo for Sneaky, am I right in thinking it is Cat5 only and not WiFi ? that would be a big downer for me, and maybe push me towards SB+ instead.

Looked at Linn's promo for Sneaky, am I right in thinking it is Cat5 only and not WiFi ? that would be a big downer for me, and maybe push me towards SB+ instead.
It is Cat 5, but it is easy to get a wireless bridge.. How much is an SB+?

Mark

It is Cat 5, but it is easy to get a wireless bridge.. How much is an SB+?

Mark

Its £1000 in standard trim, or £1050 in a wood of your choosing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom