AVForums Squeezebox Duet discussion thread

OK heres one before I start down the contacting the help line.

My duet has worked well ( few probs which are down to my network ) but over the last couple of days every time I switch on, the receiver goes through the new software routine, white flashing light etc. The handset displays the new software message. Surely it cant be up dating every time?

Has anyone seen anything similar or have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

>any thoughts on this.<

Sqeezecenter 7.1 was released on 28th July with updated firmwares.

Depending on what version you're running, maybe the autoupdate is crocked? Maybe best to d/l the full 7.1 and install?

OK heres one before I start down the contacting the help line.

My duet has worked well ( few probs which are down to my network ) but over the last couple of days every time I switch on, the receiver goes through the new software routine, white flashing light etc. The handset displays the new software message. Surely it cant be up dating every time?

Has anyone seen anything similar or have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Mine does it every time I switch between SqueezeNetwork and local music. Kinda annoying. Could it be that?

Mine does it every time I switch between SqueezeNetwork and local music. Kinda annoying. Could it be that?

Ive done a bit more playing about with it and it seems to be the same thing, i.e when I change from local to squeeze or the other way around. As you say, annoying.

Ive done a bit more playing about with it and it seems to be the same thing, i.e when I change from local to squeeze or the other way around. As you say, annoying.

I believe it's been mentioned a few times on the SB forums and last time I read it was going to be fixed in a future release.

Maybe one of the SB experts could give us an update?

Ive had my squeezebox duet for a few days and in general its a brilliant device and worth the money and been running it from a wired network and getting music from a Vista laptop

I thought the initial setup was a little complicated in that it seemed I had to select the music source a couple of distinct times

The main thing that bugs me is that it seems to take the controller a reasonably long time to wake up (between 30 seconds to a minute) before its usable (ie I have the circular dots on the screen for this time until I can select anything

I did do a full software update (I thought anyway, certainly on the controller) before I added any music

Im hoping that when I add my new QNAP 209 II Pro (when I figure out how to do this) maybe the waking up problem willl improve

The main thing that bugs me is that it seems to take the controller a reasonably long time to wake up (between 30 seconds to a minute) before its usable (ie I have the circular dots on the screen for this time until I can select anything

I did do a full software update (I thought anyway, certainly on the controller) before I added any music

Im hoping that when I add my new QNAP 209 II Pro (when I figure out how to do this) maybe the waking up problem willl improve

You should only get the waking up thing if it has been out of the dock and not touched for an hour. It shuts of the WiFi and clocks down the processor to save battery. It can be turned off or the time before sleeping can be altered. Most people are best off leaving it on though as it increases the battery a massive amount. It's normal for any WiFi devices to have to log on to wireless network, i doubt the NAS will help much - your actual wireless network will be the biggest factor. Mine takes between 15-30 seconds i think. Trust me, it was a godsend when they added the power management - my controller went from about 6 hours to about 3 days battery life, wifi murders batteries, it's a fair compromise.

Fair enough - its something else then (maybe my Bebox wireless) because its taking more like 1-2 mnutes to connect

It seems a little pointless in one sense as the remote is the only thing using wireless - the duet itself and all storage is wired on the network

Im going to get a cheap netgear wireless access point in the bedroom (same place as Duet) to see if that improves wake up time of the remote

edit - actually hasnt the duet got an AP built in (ie will it actually help getting an external unit?)

Last edited:
>actually hasnt the duet got an AP built in (ie will it actually help getting an external unit?)<

Yep, the Receiver can be configured in 'hybrid' mode when it'll create an ad-hoc connection for the controller. IIRC you'll need to factory reset with the ethernet connected to start the set-up process.

Hi Guys,

When browsing my albums some of them show the album art however som don't. Each album has its respective image in its folder and is name cover.jpg.

Why are some images not showing? Is size an issue? When downloading them i got roughly the same size images at 300x300 pixels.

Any ideas?

Hi Guys,

When browsing my albums some of them show the album art however som don't. Each album has its respective image in its folder and is name cover.jpg.

Why are some images not showing? Is size an issue? When downloading them i got roughly the same size images at 300x300 pixels.

Any ideas?

Do they show up fine in Squeezecenter, or is this just with the Controller?

If they show fine in Squeezecenter, then try a factory reset on the Controller.

they show up fine in the squeezecenter - they also show fine when i play songs from an album, its just when viewing the albums. So a factory reset should do the trick? I'll give that a go. Cheers!

I'd highly recommend the filename folder.jpg as it's more universally supported. Even then, I too have some that show up on the SqueezeCenter but not on the controller...I've never quite worked out why.

I actually have 4 SqueezeCenter servers here and some work perfectly and others don't, despite them all indexing the same music files.

What OS/platform are you running on?

I'd highly recommend the filename folder.jpg

Agreed, but they show in Squeezecenter they should be fine. In fact i would recommend embedding them into the files (use MP3tag).

I do think this is a controller issue, possibly to do with the way it caches the files - i have seen this myself recently when i updated to the latest firmware. It's always a good idea to reset any device after a firmware update, but i have never had to do it before this last official FW update.

If you have a stable database - lets say with 25GB of entries, and you make a change to one entry, I guess you still have to do a full scan of the database to replicate the change?

Im asking this as when adding all my tracks last night, it took over 8 hours to sort out the db initially - and I still have to add newly ripped albums, will it take just as long to replicate the new changes - rather than just taking seconds to add the new items?

It only scans new songs files though it will go through all of the playlists and album art.

I might try embedding the art - how do i do this in mp3tag?

As for factory restarting the controller, i'd be doing this all the time as it seems i'm frequently gettin new firmware updates :D

It only scans new songs files though it will go through all of the playlists and album art.

Sorry, dont know what you mean.

I might try embedding the art - how do i do this in mp3tag?

Use the powerful 'actions' feature. As you have all the album art called cover.jpg in each folder you are laughing - it can batch embed them all while you sit in the pub.

As for factory restarting the controller, i'd be doing this all the time as it seems i'm frequently gettin new firmware updates :D

You should not have to do it often with each FW release. i have been using the Controller for quite a while (i was on the test program before it was released) and have updated the FW countless times, but have only ever needed to do a couple of factory resets.

Ahh cool i'll give it a whirl and embed some art tomorrow. I hope it works as it just doesn't feel complete with some missing.

PS. I was referring to hugo's question about rescanning music - when you add new music, only the new files are scanned however all of the existing playlists and album art are rescanned. Arent they? :)

PS. I was referring to hugo's question about rescanning music - when you add new music, only the new files are scanned however all of the existing playlists and album art are rescanned. Arent they? :)

Any files which time stamp has not changed will be ignored. Im not sure thats your issue though. However, a complete rescan might help because it can kick the sbc into reloading the art i think.

Not sure why my controller was taking so long initially to connect - but now its around 20 seconds, I just hope the problem doesnt come back again

Thanks for letting me know about music scanning

Just incase anyone reads this - here are my thoughts (with no comparison to other products available)

Once it is set up (and especially in conjunction to a NAS of some kind rather than off a pc - which kind of defeats the purpose imo) this is a great device, quality of audio is fabulous and the remote works well 95% of the time

I only have three issues with it, one of which is major:

1) The controller can still take some considerable time to wake up, and even after waking up it can be slow to respond (it can take several minutes before the first track of a selection starts playing)

2) The battary life of the controller is awful - surely if its asleep then it shouldnt use barely any battary, yet on numerous occasions I have (intentionally) fallen asleep listening to music only for overnight the controller to use up a good proportion of its charge (this may be to do with AP on the Duet being on as mentioned above - which I will look into but even so its still excessive loss of charge imo)

My main issue (which I have obviously resolved but still deserves stating) is that the duet /controller is imo difficult to set up - or at least un-necessarily confusing. I work in IT and have done for nearly 20 years, but I still found it baffling in some regards. I dont believe it is a consumer device for this one reason alone (I have no issue once its set up, but the difficulty in actually setting it up is a huge problem)

I also dont agree with the fact you have to create an online account to get any functionality out of the product you have paid good money for. If there are added benefits to doing this so be it - that can be advertised/explained in the manual , but to play your own music through a system you have bought shouldnt rely on any internet site account imo

>you have to create an online account to get any functionality out of the product you have paid good money for<

Agreed it's poor design of the installer that there's no obvious way of getting past the Squeezenetwork screen; in reality it's 100% possible to use the kit without any connection to the internet.

Ok if thats the case then its certainly not clear that it will work as suggested
(and at least once I have only had to add a player code to the website to get it working)

(I initially set up my duet to be...fed...from my laptop until QNAP arrived, and until I changed the code in the website to reflect the running of the 209, it just wouldnt work)

Certainly the instructions seem to indicate that the website is a crucial ingrediant

>initially set up my duet to be...fed...from my laptop until QNAP arrived<

As you've changed the music server, you need to be aware that the Duet remembers the MAC address of the network card in the music-server it first connects to.

For what were thought good reasons, it keeps remembering that MAC address even when you change to another music server; this mucks up the Wake-On-LAN functionality in firmware 42 where you can just touch the front-panel button on the Receiver to wake a sleeping server.

You need to do factory reset on the Receiver to get it to forget everything and start over.

As you've changed the music server, you need to be aware that the Duet remembers the MAC address of the network card in the music-server it first connects to.

For what were thought good reasons, it keeps remembering that MAC address even when you change to another music server; this mucks up the Wake-On-LAN functionality in firmware 42 where you can just touch the front-panel button on the Receiver to wake a sleeping server.

You need to do factory reset on the Receiver to get it to forget everything and start over.

Thanks. Finally I'm beginning to realise why my Duet setup sucks so much.

Are there any other magic bullets you have that could explain why other basic features just don't work as expected?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom