Quantcast

AVForums Sonos/Sonos 2.0 discussion thread

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I know that Sonos is probably regarded as the best around in delivering multi-room sound but it has existed in it's present form for a couple of years or so now.
So the question is, are there any revamped products in the pipeline does anyone know ?

shoehorn

Got this from the Sonos forums:

"Sonos don't tend to announce even imminent developments until they are launched."

Although I guess that from the amount of responses to your post you probably know this already . . . :)

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Most of the time, it's standard practice for device manufactures to play their cards very close to their chests. Just like their main rival, Slim Devices, they rarely announce new products last minute until they are practically ready to buy. No point unless you want to give your rivals a head start.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
It made me wonder because they are offering a bundle with a ZP100 and a ZP80 at a low price. The ZP100 normally sells at more than the ZP80 but this bundle is cheaper than 2x ZP80s.

shoehorn

Well I'd guess at something being imminent to be honest.
The same thing has been out for 2 years or more - and no price reduction!
I'd guess they'd want to clear a bit of inventory first, so offer good priced bundles. . .

I'd be hoping for a 'portable' that could connect and/or some sort of video streaming, but I think that might be stretching it a bit.
It is a fantastic piece of kit by the way - even my Mrs loves it ! (probably the only thing I've bought that she does!)

mark88

Novice Member
They recently announced a lower price bundle, £700 for the controller, ZP80 and ZP100. I think there's v2 around the corner.

I didn't buy the current hardware because of the flaw (IMO) that one unit has to be wired to a router.

The Squeezebox 3 can do pretty much everything that the Sonos can do, it's more more flexible and costs a considerable amount less. I bought one and have been really impressed, especially by the multi room capabilities. All you need is WiFi enabled device to access slimserver and you can control all the music around your house.

With the Sonos I know I'd need a controller for every room and they're rather expensive.

lazymatt

Novice Member
Although the Sonos is designed to be hard wired to the router, you can use a wireless bridge, or the Powerline adapters work very well.

lazymatt

Novice Member
Could you use a cheap wireless access point?
Yep - some of them I think you can. There's an 'unsupported configuration' section over on the Sonos website that has some of those listed that work.

Tempted to get one yourself, Auto?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Tempted to get one yourself, Auto?
Nah, you know me, more of a Squeezebox man. I would recommend to people though, good to know the options :)

It will be very interesting to see what Sono's come up with for their new devices. But it would take a lot to temp me away from my Squeezebox.

lazymatt

Novice Member
Nah, you know me, more of a Squeezebox man. I would recommend to people though, good to know the options :)

It will be very interesting to see what Sono's come up with for their new devices. But it would take a lot to temp me away from my Squeezebox.
Yeah, it's about time the came up with something new. They always defended the price of the Sonos with the fact they were a small company and they spent a fortune (relatively speaking) on R & D. I think it's well established enough now, that they could bring the price down.

That said, compared with the more (and in my opinion, inferior) traditional multi-room solutions, it still represents good value.

Norman

I’ve had my Sonos about three months and think it’s brilliant. I done a lot of research before buying it and to the best of my knowledge there still isn’t anything else out there that is directly comparable to it which is why I don’t see them replacing it anytime soon. I guess they could cosmetically update it but as a digital audio solution it does really hit the nail on the head.
Perhaps we’ll see some new additions to the range (a new cheaper handset would be nice) which will all be fully compatible with the existing kit?

newtothis

Standard Member
Hi
There are rumours of new products zp120 and zp90. They will be slightly smaller and have new 802.11n chipset providing much improved wireless range and speed.

All rumours though and nothing definate. I am interested as just waiting for mine to arrive (waited a year to see if new product - can't wait any longer!).

I just want them to bring it out in black!!

See link to rumour here
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/World-Exclusive-New-Sonos-ZP120-Photos.html

cheers

Dan.Scott1234

Novice Member
I would happily buy (ie not expect for free) an iPhone/iPod touch Sonos remote application.

I currently use Airport Express units with our iPhones as remotes and it works really well. Some of the extra features offered by the Sonos software would be nice but having 2 iPhones in the house I'd be a bit loathed to have to buy Sonos remotes which are a little out of date now (Plus I'd just keep wanting to touch the screen;))

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I would happily buy (ie not expect for free) an iPhone/iPod touch Sonos remote application.

I currently use Airport Express units with our iPhones as remotes and it works really well. Some of the extra features offered by the Sonos software would be nice but having 2 iPhones in the house I'd be a bit loathed to have to buy Sonos remotes which are a little out of date now (Plus I'd just keep wanting to touch the screen;))
Sonos unfortunatly dont allow third parties to develop such stuff. Not sure if its any use, but there is a program for the the Squeezebox family called iPeng that runs on the iPhone/Touch thats very good. Even without ipeng, The Squeezecenter server is available via any webbrowser and there is a skin for the iphone etc.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=27

ro53ben

Sonos unfortunatly dont allow third parties to develop such stuff.
I think you just made that up. Sonos have never discouraged third party development. In fact, they positively encourage it by using the open UPNP standard.

When you plug a Sonos ZonePlayer into your network and UPNP compliant device will see it, immediately, without configuration. My Windows XP machine says "New device found, Sonos ZonePlayer".

It's so open I can use this connectivity to play my DRM protected tracks through Windows Media Services on Sonos. Put simply, Sonos and Windows both support UPNP so one can use the other for output.

But there isn't just big 3rd party developers like Microsoft. There's the small guys out there doing web controller apps like this one.

http://www.purple.org/sonos/

It's actually been around longer than iPeng and works fairly well on an iPod.

Some in use screenshots can be found here:

http://vowe.net/archives/009218.html

Not exactly what you would call closed to third parties now, is it?

ro53ben

SONOS GIVES MUSIC LOVERS A STATE OF THE ART
MULTI-ROOM MUSIC EXPERIENCE

New Sonos Bundle 150 Brings Music to Every Room

HILVERSUM, THE NETHERLANDS – August 5, 2008 – Sonos® Europe BV, a
subsidiary of Sonos, Inc., the leading developer of wireless multi-room music systems for the home, today introduced a new state-of-the-art multi-room music system. Now music lovers can play all of their favourite music in every room—from the bedroom to the back garden—without breaking through walls or rewiring the house. With Sonos ZonePlayers spread throughout the house, music fans can play the same song in different rooms, or different songs in different rooms. And with the wireless Sonos Controller in hand, choosing what to play and where to play it couldn’t be easier. Simply pick a room, pick a song and hit play. The Controller provides instant access to millions of songs and radio stations — including music files stored on a computer, free Internet radio stations, and the most popular online music services.
The new Sonos Bundle 150 (BU150) is the most convenient and cost effective
way to experience the excitement of wireless multi-room music. The bundle includes two Sonos ZonePlayers (amplified and non-amplified) and a Sonos Controller so music lovers can get started playing music in two rooms of the house. Enjoying more rooms of music, more control or both, is as easy as adding ZonePlayers and Controllers. The new bundle retails for £699 and is available starting today at Sonos authorised retailers and at www.sonos.com.
In one convenient package, the BU150 includes:
• A Sonos ZonePlayer 90* (ZP90) which can be connected to an existing stereo or home theatre receiver to instantly make it part of a multi-room music system.
• A Sonos ZonePlayer 120* (ZP120) which has a powerful audiophile quality
amplifier which can be connected to speakers and placed in any room; from the bedroom to the back garden.
• A Sonos Controller 100 (CR100) which enables users to find and play the music they want from anywhere in the house all from the palm of their hand.

*See accompanying press release with details and specs of new ZP90 and ZP120

“The new Sonos products provide the best wireless range and a powerful digital amplifier so it’s easier than ever to get great sounding music to the most distant corners of the home," said John MacFarlane, Chief Executive Officer, Sonos, Inc. “Innovations like these reinforce our position as the leader in wireless multi-room music and our commitment to bring the joy of music to every room of the house.”
The BU150 is the most cost effective way to start a multi-room music system.
The £699 pricing represents a discount of almost 20% off of the sum of the individual Sonos products. Sonos is also offering a Sonos Bundle 150 with Loudspeakers for customers who also want a pair of Sonos speakers to attach to their ZP120. The BU150 with Loudspeakers will retail for £830.
In conjunction with today’s BU150 announcement, Sonos also introduced Sonos Software 2.6 to all Sonos customers. The new feature update includes more than £100 in DRM-free music offers, support for music collections with up to 65,000 tracks, and more. See accompanying press release. Sonos is the first wireless, multi-room music system that lets you play all the music you want all over your house — and control it all from the palm of your hand. To learn more about Sonos, to place an order or to locate an authorized Sonos dealer, please visit www.sonos.com.

About Sonos, Inc.
Sonos® is the leading developer of wireless multi-room music systems for the home. The Sonos Multi-Room Music System is the first, wireless multi-room music system that lets you play all the music you want all over your house – and control it all from the palm of your hand. By partnering with audio services like Audible.com®, eMusic®, Napster®, and more, Sonos gives music lovers instant access to millions of songs, radio stations and audiobooks. In addition, Sonos liberates the music stored on a computer so it can be enjoyed all over the house and comes loaded with hundreds of free Internet radio stations. The award-winning Sonos Multi-Room Music System is available at more than 3000 retailers in over 55 countries worldwide; or direct from Sonos at www.sonos.com. Sonos is a privately-held company, headquartered in Santa Barbara, CA with offices in Cambridge, MA, Hilversum, Netherlands and Penang, Malaysia. To find out more about the company or the Sonos Multi-Room Music System, please visit: pr.sonos.com.

(c) 2004-2008 by Sonos Inc. All rights reserved. Sonos is a registered trademark of Sonos, Inc. in the United States, Canada and Australia, and a trademark of Sonos, Inc. in other countries. Sonosnet, ZonePlayer, ZoneBridge and all Sonos logos are trademarks of Sonos Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other products and services may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I think you just made that up. Sonos have never discouraged third party development. In fact, they positively encourage it by using the open UPNP standard.

When you plug a Sonos ZonePlayer into your network and UPNP compliant device will see it, immediately, without configuration. My Windows XP machine says "New device found, Sonos ZonePlayer".

It's so open I can use this connectivity to play my DRM protected tracks through Windows Media Services on Sonos. Put simply, Sonos and Windows both support UPNP so one can use the other for output.

But there isn't just big 3rd party developers like Microsoft. There's the small guys out there doing web controller apps like this one.

http://www.purple.org/sonos/

It's actually been around longer than iPeng and works fairly well on an iPod.

Some in use screenshots can be found here:

Not exactly what you would call closed to third parties now, is it?
Are you taking the Michael or what? thats not the same, and you know it. Sono's dont allow direct access to its system or provide API's etc. UPNP is a limited way of interfacing and there is not a great deal you can do with it, which is why there are not hundreds of third party plugin and addons like there is for the Squeezbox . UPNP is just a common simple protocol found in many devices now, like my mobile, its a layer between the devices and being able to interface with it is not the same as open source architecture of the Slim Devices system. Saying that support UPNP makes it an open system is very misleading.

Dont get me wrong though, sono's sacrificing functionality like this keeps things more simple for people not inclined to tweak, helps with support issues and helps with stability etc. Just a different approach that will suit some people. Two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Looking nice :)

Shame about the two handed remote though, personally i think they should have done something slicker (i.e. smaller and one handed), but i guess some people seem to like that. And i know a few people around here really wanted to see a new hardware design different from the 'potty', but otherwise it still looks a great bit of tech. The playlist management via the controller sounds good, something that really needs work on the Duet. Its a shame that reviewer did not properly compare it to a Duet, as the older SB2 she has is a different kettle of fish really.

Last edited:

Dan.Scott1234

Novice Member
it's a shame the reviewer didn't have experience with the Duet as that would have made for a better comparison.

Still, great review though and thanks for the link.

Shame there's no controller update or clues as to any iPhone/iTouch apps

ro53ben

Looking nice :)

Shame about the two handed remote though, personally i think they should have done something slicker (i.e. smaller and one handed), but i guess some people seem to like that.
As you know, I've got both in my household. They both good in their own ways. For a brief "pick it up and change the volume" manouvre, the Squeezebox controller is much handier in some respects. Although the grippy base on the Sonos controller actually allows you to push the buttons without picking it up at all. The SB controller has to be taken out of the cradle to operate, the Sonos doesn't. They're chalk and cheese really.

The 2 handed design of the Sonos comes into it's own when you're scrolling through the long Artist lists. With the Sonos, you actually have a 'Powerscroll' key which allows you to jump straight to a letter. You can go from A to Z in less than one turn of the wheel. On the SB controller you just have to keep turning and turning. I don't see how they could implement such a function without a second hand.

Still, as Tom's guide said, the click through on the artist is nice on the SB setup. A controller with the best of both would be awesome.

ro53ben

it's a shame the reviewer didn't have experience with the Duet as that would have made for a better comparison.

Still, great review though and thanks for the link.

Shame there's no controller update or clues as to any iPhone/iTouch apps
The reviewer did clearly have some SB experience, but I believe it was intentionally written not to be a blow by blow comparison.

The iPhone/iTouch thing has been requested by a few. Last year they wanted a controller for the Nokia Internet tablet. The year before they wanted it on Windows mobile.

Sonos has to support and maintain any software they release and you can see why keeping up with today's fads isn't always sensible...who buys Windows mobile devices this year?

There are third party efforts like the Sonos web controller that works perfectly well on iPhone though.

http://vowe.net/images/sonosiphonecontroller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ro53ben

UPNP gives you full control over the Sonos system. You can tell it to play any source in any room, queue up tracks etc.

It allows little utilities like the Sonos Queue Tool to be used. This allows you to simply drag and drop an MP3 file on your kitchen and it will start playing.

No server required, no indexing no plugins...it just runs on your workstation.

The alleged "open" nature of SB doesn't actually allow you to do a single thing on a SB receiver that you can't so on Sonos. In fact, it's this open source nature that means SB can only play Rhapsody and other DRM protected services in 3 rooms concurrently. Sonos can play it in up to 32 zones.

Admittedly the open source SqueezeCenter allows plugins to be added that will show the weather or latest news on the controller, but this is a music system and they don't actually do anything for the receiver itself.