AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

Thanks, Just looked at my account, bought in june 2015. I went to the site and looked at the trade in but the box that I'm supposed to click on to select the product I want to trade in is greyed out although the site states I am eligible for an upgrade. Guess the Sonos has to be on which mine will not do, I'll give sonos a call.

I contacted Sonos and they replaced my old Play 5 when it died for a gen 2.

Well for all my sulking and moaning about Sonos, I've just done a trade-up on one of my devices :laugh:

I didn't realise that the CR200 was eligible for trade-up and as I don't use it much these days due to the screen being one of the dodgy batches, I thought it worthwhile trading it in for a pair of Sonos One speakers :)

These will replace my ZP120 in the office so once that is done I won't have any legacy devices on my network.

I then need to decide if I'm going to trade my ZP120 and 2x ZP90s for other stuff. I might be tempted with a Beam or 2 and a sub :)

I know what you mean, I'd love to sack them off but everything works perfectly. If the new Denons were cheaper I'd sell up and jump ship though!

To be honest I'm more annoyed by them dropping Android 6 support in the app, it's pure laziness by their devs.

Last edited:
Quick question:

Brother in law has a Samsung Soundbar and a sonos one.
He’d like to link them up-is that possible with a Connect (or anything newer)?

Or is it just worth him selling the Soundbar and getting the Beam?

Quick question:

Brother in law has a Samsung Soundbar and a sonos one.
He’d like to link them up-is that possible with a Connect (or anything newer)?

Or is it just worth him selling the Soundbar and getting the Beam?
Not possible I’m afraid. The Sonos soundbars have no audio out to allow this

Not possible I’m afraid. The Sonos soundbars have no audio out to allow this

But there is an audio out on the Samsung I’m guessing?

I am considering a reconfiguration to my Sonos setup and I wonder if I could seek the forum's inputs.

I currently have a number of Sonos devices spread around the house (Sonos 5, One, Play:1, Symfonisk). The latest addition is at a room that is at the edge of my router's range and connectivity is intermittent.

The first solution that I tried was adding a wireless booster (provided by Sky, who is my ISP). I noticed that the Sonos app sees this as different networks and does not allow you to group all speakers together.

The second solution was to use a Power Over Ethernet (PoE) device and connect one of my speakers via an ethernet wire. In this case, the wired speaker became the prime node for SonosNet and all other speakers tried to connect to it rather than the router. (is there a way to change this configuration?) Again, the distance between the speakers meant that the SonosNet could not cover the entire house and some speakers were still out of range.

I am contemplating to deploy PoE for all Sonos devices and I wonder if anyone has had a similar setup of all speakers being wired. In this case, will SonosNet be active or will all speakers access the router via the wired connections?

I think you're mixing up your terminology, I assume you mean Homeplugs, not PoE.

The latest addition is at a room that is at the edge of my router's range and connectivity is intermittent.

In this case, the wired speaker became the prime node for SonosNet and all other speakers tried to connect to it rather than the router.

No, in this case each speaker will connect to the nearest speaker, not the one connected to the router.

How far is the speaker that you're having trouble with from the nearest speaker? I would've probably suggested getting a Sonos Boost and connect that directly to your router to use SonosNet.

Dave77 - you are correct, I should be referring to homeplugs rather than PoE.

The speaker with connectivity issues is approx 2 floors away from the nearest speaker. A Sonos boost would be an interesting option - I appreciate that it may offer a wider coverage that my router but there may still be some coverage issues.

Would use of homeplugs in all speakers disable SonosNet and convert sonos into a fully wired setup?

Yeah it should do.

You say you tried a sky booster, if it's setup correctly you should only have 1 network, is it Sky Q?

Thanks again for the prompt response.

I have a sky Q hub and a sky wireless booster (not a Q booster) - it is connected to the router and boosting the right SSID. Was surprised to see that Sonos was seeing this as a separate network.

You are most welcome to send any recommendations for a correct setup.

Thanks again for the prompt response.

I have a sky Q hub and a sky wireless booster (not a Q booster) - it is connected to the router and boosting the right SSID. Was surprised to see that Sonos was seeing this as a separate network.

You are most welcome to send any recommendations for a correct setup.

initially I’d suggest trying to connect a different speaker via a cable. The more speakers, the stronger SonosNet gets and therefore the potential area to be covered is larger.

Hopefully the sky router isn’t like the Virgin Superhub3 because you can only connect one Sonos device wired, if you add more it creates a network storm :(

Will follow up with Sky re: booster.

If i recall, when trying to group all speakers, a message along the lines of "speakers can not be grouped because they are not on the same network" appeared at the Sonos App. I will try to replicate the setup and take a snapshot.

I did follow the procedure that you copied and will try again before i consider more homeplugs

thanks again for your valuable insights!

Definitely wire one of your Sonos products via ethernet as suggested to make sure you have SonosNet (Mesh) created.
If that doesn't improve I'm also a big advocate of the Sonos Boost product - about £30 if you shop around on ebay.

I installed a mesh network on two floors of the house and all the sonos speakers link up with that. I found that the strength of the wifi network is a key factor and I don't get dropouts since installing it.

Sonos have announced that they have changed the Trade Up scheme, the items traded up now won’t be put into recycle mode and you can keep them or do whatever you want with them.

Sonos have announced that they have changed the Trade Up scheme, the items traded up now won’t be put into recycle mode and you can keep them or do whatever you want with them.
Just saw that myself. Very interesting indeed.

That said there’s going to be some very annoyed people that have already bricked their trades up devices.

wonder if it can be reversed now.

looks like the Sonos share price has forced their hand on this front at least.

Having just "traded up" 2 items I'm pretty miffed at this announcement! I better go check the terms.

Having just "traded up" 2 items I'm pretty miffed at this announcement! I better go check the terms.

I’m sure if you’ve done so very recently you should be fine

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom