AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

It was in-store. My eldest is a partner and knows me too well! She saw a couple in the stockroom and asked the floor manager.

Sometimes it pays to drop her in a frothy coffee on a black Friday 12hr shift!

I'll buy her two coffees if she can get me a sub at that price!

Interesting find today....which spans Sonos and Alexa so Ive posted this in both sections.

The last few weeks, my lounge has started playing songs on Sonos on its own....kids in the house can control Sonos via Alexa of course but this is always Status Quo and they don't know it, let alone know to ask for it. I know it was on Spotify as I could see it from the Spotify app, but I had no idea how it was happening. I assumed maybe a mate was controlling it after they've had access to my network on a previous visit but i knew that they could access it over wifi unless they were close...but maybe Spofity Connect was the culprit.

Handt worried too much as it wasn't happening that often *although it happened once this morning again) but when i got back from days MTB ride, the wife said that her dad can see our Alexa shopping lists). He has given family sharing of his Prime vide account to the wife and she and I share a shopping list app (ToDoIst) so the shared access they have on Prime must also mean that names Sonos speakers (suing Prime) are also accessible.

He had named his Sonos in his lounge, LOUNGE...and hadn't set up preferred speakers on Alexa so was asking to "play ?????? in lounge". for some reason, this always defaulted my Play 5 stereo pair in my lounge.

He has now setup his preferred speaker (and renamed his lounge speaker as "sitting room" just in case.

Thought I'd mention it if someone else had been stumped too

Interesting find today....which spans Sonos and Alexa so Ive posted this in both sections.

The last few weeks, my lounge has started playing songs on Sonos on its own....kids in the house can control Sonos via Alexa of course but this is always Status Quo and they don't know it, let alone know to ask for it. I know it was on Spotify as I could see it from the Spotify app, but I had no idea how it was happening. I assumed maybe a mate was controlling it after they've had access to my network on a previous visit but i knew that they could access it over wifi unless they were close...but maybe Spofity Connect was the culprit.

Handt worried too much as it wasn't happening that often *although it happened once this morning again) but when i got back from days MTB ride, the wife said that her dad can see our Alexa shopping lists). He has given family sharing of his Prime vide account to the wife and she and I share a shopping list app (ToDoIst) so the shared access they have on Prime must also mean that names Sonos speakers (suing Prime) are also accessible.

He had named his Sonos in his lounge, LOUNGE...and hadn't set up preferred speakers on Alexa so was asking to "play ?????? in lounge". for some reason, this always defaulted my Play 5 stereo pair in my lounge.

He has now setup his preferred speaker (and renamed his lounge speaker as "sitting room" just in case.

Thought I'd mention it if someone else had been stumped too
You should tell Amazon about that, assuming you can reach someone not on their webchat or level 1 helpdesk.

That's normal. I share an account with my brother and I can see their devices. It's a family account so all meant to be in the same household.

That's normal. I share an account with my brother and I can see their devices. It's a family account so all meant to be in the same household.
seeing their devices is one thing. being able to control devices in another is a little far reaching i think.

seeing their devices is one thing. being able to control devices in another is a little far reaching i think.
I kind of agree, but these are people in the same household so in theory you're still just controlling things in your own house.

You haven't got a Sonos CR200 have you? To phase them out Sonos started to implement annoying bugs, one of which was to trigger the current playlist to start at random times. Mine used to start at around 4am on the Play5, which is loud! Sonos blamed it on cats jumping up and pressing buttons on the controller.

The other thing is Spotify, are you sharing Spotify accounts? Spotify can control your Sonos remotely. Before I had Spotify myself some friends were round and one added his account details to start a playlist. The next morning (early) when we were asleep, we were awoken to the house shaking. He had tried to listen to some music on his headphones and when not hearing anything, turned up the volume, up and up, not realising he was still connected to our Play5 miles away! Scared the **** out of me :)

Oh, and another cheap Sonos deal......

Last edited:
You haven't got a Sonos CR200 have you? To phase them out Sonos started to implement annoying bugs, one of which was to trigger the current playlist to start at random times. Mine used to start at around 4am on the Play5, which is loud! Sonos blamed it on cats jumping up and pressing buttons on the controller.

The other thing is Spotify, are you sharing Spotify accounts? Spotify can control your Sonos remotely. Before I had Spotify myself some friends were round and one added his account details to start a playlist. The next morning (early) when we were asleep, we were awoken to the house shaking. He had tried to listen to some music on his headphones and when not hearing anything, turned up the volume, up and up, not realising he was still connected to our Play5 miles away! Scared the **** out of me :)

Oh, and another cheap Sonos deal......
no...thats about the only Sonos device I've never owned and we have separate Spotify accounts.

Whilst I agree with what some others have said regarding an Amazon Prime account staying inside a single home/house....I putting this down to some sort of bug.

I did initially think of Spotify Connect as well.

That is a good deal on the Ikea speakers...glad IM not closer as id probably be snapping a few of those up...even though I really dont need them

@dave77 Did you see my last post on the Sonos Forums about the Move battery life when switched off? It contains a detailed description from support of how to switch it off completely. I wondered if that is what you did when you did your battery drain test?

@dave77 Did you see my last post on the Sonos Forums about the Move battery life when switched off? It contains a detailed description from support of how to switch it off completely. I wondered if that is what you did when you did your battery drain test?

Just reading now, that's what I did. Mine didn't seem to drain as much as the other guy's though.

Just wondered if anyone has tried one of these.

Tempted to stick one in the bathroom for the ceiling speaker
BC6B537B-FFB8-4B27-8226-CF564FD6DDF4.png

Yeah, they're great for the price, although you do need the Tradfri gateway, or some other zigbee hub. I have mine connected to a Hubitat hub.

The remote is £15, sometimes you can get £5 off the gateway with a family card, so £35 bought seperately.

Nice one, And I assume its a simple turn of the device to increase/decrease volume?

Nice one, And I assume its a simple turn of the device to increase/decrease volume?

Yeah that's right, single tap on/off, double tap is skip, triple tap is back a track. Mine is stuck to my fridge (magnet).

Mine doesn't seem to work when the assigned speaker is grouped, not sure if it's because i'm not using the tradfri gateway though.

Not sure if all stores are same but I had to order for factory collection, they weren't on the shelves, so take the product code with you.

Last edited:

Tempted to stick one in the bathroom for the ceiling speaker

I'll second dave77 comments, they work REALLY well. I use mine all the time now, so much easier than using a phone to quickly adjust volume. Often I come it and just press it once to continue the last playlist it was playing, I've even got used to double clicking it to skip forward a track.

*** :mad:

that incredible

WOW! Grab it while you can! Amazing price so I don’t think it will hang around long!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom