AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

I thought sonos would always use a wired connection if it's available over sonosnet,
I struggle to connect my play 5 to a smart tv as the delay makes it unwatchable.

Thanks! But unfortunately the play 1s do not have an aux port and therefore can't be wired directly. The Heos speakers do however and they have been getting brilliant reviews... Has anyone tried them?

Just purchased (89p) and installed SonoSequencr. An iOS app that allows you to set up macros / sequences to control your Sonos setup. I have created sequences for:

Bedtime: un group my Sonos's, select the bedroom speaker, play a radio station at low volume and set the sleep timer for 30 mins

Play a radio station on all speaker: group all the speakers, set the volume at 50%, play the radio station

Highly recommended especially if you have a multi room setup
596b80bc92b701ea78f630970424cf8e.jpg

Just purchased (89p) and installed SonoSequencr. An iOS app that allows you to set up macros / sequences to control your Sonos setup. I have created sequences for:

Bedtime: un group my Sonos's, select the bedroom speaker, play a radio station at low volume and set the sleep timer for 30 mins

Play a radio station on all speaker: group all the speakers, set the volume at 50%, play the radio station

Highly recommended especially if you have a multi room setup
596b80bc92b701ea78f630970424cf8e.jpg
Very handy! Thanks will give it a try

wonder if that is just a Christmas sale price or the sign of a new model around the corner in 2016?

I'm guessing with an updated play 5 it won't be long before we see a new play 1 and 3?

Wonder if they weren't selling many of the starter pack so thought they'd try the single approach. Had my play 5 a week now and loving it. The sound is awesome but what seals the deal is the interface on the app. I've never had a good music app and I totally love the way I can now search for anything in my library and its so quick. I see why people quickly expand their systems. I think at least one play 1 will be bought within a month.

I very much doubt that the Play1 will be updated any time soon, compared to the others they've only been out a very short time.

I very much doubt that the Play1 will be updated any time soon, compared to the others they've only been out a very short time.
I agree. More likely that Play3 will get an update next. But I am still hoping they update the Playbar first as I am REALLY struggling with my desire to buy one with a sub again!

I agree. More likely that Play3 will get an update next. But I am still hoping they update the Playbar first as I am REALLY struggling with my desire to buy one with a sub again!
I imagine the next version of the Playbar is years away yet!

Hi all,

After researching the Denon stuff, the Bose, and all the other competition, I've thrown my hat in with Sonos and purchased two Play:1s today [especially considering the £20 price drop!].

Setting them up was incredibly easy, like the reviews said. Am struggling to find the Equaliser but I'm sure I'll get there on that front. Have also signed up for Spotify to take advantage of that too.

Question: Is there anything I should do first up with these / any noob guides I should read [like finding the Equaliser!] or any other guides you experts recommend?

Cheers in advance!

Double click the play button on a Sonos to skip forward to the next track, triple click to skip back a track.
I use the alarm function every day to wake me up and go to bed listening to the radio and set the sleep mode.
Use the TuneIn add on for radio stations and listening to podcasts.
See my post on the previous page re SonoSequencr iOS app. Very useful.
Enjoy your purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps. I've give all that a good read. Cheers.

triple click to skip back a track.

This doesn't appear to work on my Play 1s, and I can't find any documentation of it doing do on any. So does this really work and on which devices?

To confirm - double click does work, triple just skips forward on the 2nd click.

New to sonos and the bug has bit already, Just got a playbar this week, and have got 2 play 1's being delivered tomorrow to be used as surround speakers, has anyone else got this set up? If so is it worth the extra for the sub? Expensive game this sonos malarkey ;-)

New to sonos and the bug has bit already, Just got a playbar this week, and have got 2 play 1's being delivered tomorrow to be used as surround speakers, has anyone else got this set up? If so is it worth the extra for the sub? Expensive game this sonos malarkey ;-)

You will love the sub! Expensive I know but worth it!

You will love the sub! Expensive I know but worth it!
I've come from a yamaha ysp2200 which had a separate sub, and I thought I'd find the playbar lacking somewhat, but it's surprisingly good for bass, not heart thumping bass like a separate sub gives you but good none the less, I think I already knew the answer to my question when I asked about the sub, but does it warrant it's £500+ price tag is the question!!

I also came from a ysp a few years ago. Can't remember what model but it was top of the range at the time. Immediately got the playbar and sub when it was first released and it trounced all over the Yamaha for music and films. And that was before adding the play 1 surrounds. Now have the same set up in another room too. So yes, Sonos can be an expensive habit!

I also came from a ysp a few years ago. Can't remember what model but it was top of the range at the time. Immediately got the playbar and sub when it was first released and it trounced all over the Yamaha for music and films. And that was before adding the play 1 surrounds. Now have the same set up in another room too. So yes, Sonos can be an expensive habit!
At the minute I'm finding the playbar alone is nowhere near as good as the yamaha was for films, but alot better for music, accessibility and sound wise, this might change tomorrow with the addition of 2 play 1's,not sure I can get it past the missus that in 1 week I need a playbar, 2 play 1's and a sub!........ my only gripe I can see is that the sonos doesn't decode dts

Good deals still on the play 1 double pack so a good time to add so I'm sure The Mrs would approve! Yeah shame about DTS but I watch films in a dedicated room so not an issue for me. Did have to buy a small hdmi switch to get Dolby Digital optical out linked to 4 hdmi devices and that works a treat too.

Great setup for music lovers and as you say convenience and a wire free surround solution for films :)

Good deals still on the play 1 double pack so a good time to add so I'm sure The Mrs would approve! Yeah shame about DTS but I watch films in a dedicated room so not an issue for me. Did have to buy a small hdmi switch to get Dolby Digital optical out linked to 4 hdmi devices and that works a treat too.

Great setup for music lovers and as you say convenience and a wire free surround solution for films :)
Yeah I got the play 1 starter pack from Peter Tyson for £296, could have got it a little cheaper than that but Peter Tyson give you 3 years warranty and everywhere else was 2, I'll see how the play 1's slot in tomorrow, was already thinking of buying another starter pack to put a play 1 in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom, I can see this is going to be a expansive habit/game :)

Have you got a link to the hdmi switch, I'm pretty sure my 4k oled passes dolby digital through the optical and not just stereo but would be good to have a back up in place if that's not the case

The sub is at its best when used with a playbar IMO. Really adds depth and stage to the sound.

I would buy the set up in a minute if it wasn't as convoluted to get it to work with multiple HDMI sources.

I'll post a link to the HDMI switch when I get home and details of my set up. Works a treat and highly recommended. Very small too and is hidden behind the TV in both set ups

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom