Quantcast

AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

jouster

In the short term, it's not really going to be a problem for anyone. But what if, in 6 months time, Spotify for instance change some of their API/software meaning SONOS now need to update theirs to keep it all working. With my legacy speaker, I can't update. Or I do the update and chuck a Play 5 in the bin. It's ridiculous.

Just let the Play 5 be a slave in the system. It doesn't need to talk to Spotify (or another music service), it just needs to receive music from my "modern" speakers.
Totally agree...however, if they failed to allow people to pair non matching speakers with the Sonos OS...I cant see how they will do what youre asking....hopefully a third party app or add on witll allow this

jouster

here is a reply that someone got when emailing Sonos

Your Sonos devices will continue to work as long as the hardware allows even when the Sonos app updates, and we expect no immediate impact from the end of software updates. Over time, some features and functionality will be impacted by changes to technology, particularly by music service and voice partners. As we move forward, we will provide ways to separate your legacy and modern products so that modern products can still receive updates, and legacy products can still be used. We'll have more details in May.

jouster

it's also rather comical the number of calls for Sonos to go bankrupt NOW...which would I assume render all devices dead in the water almost instantly for everyone

Desmo

Distinguished Member
People do like to get a little over excited and not think things through :laugh:

k-spin

here is a reply that someone got when emailing Sonos
We'll have more details in May.
You'd have thought they might have been a little bit better prepared for the inevitable backlash and requests for further information...

jouster

at the same time, it is a little small-minded of Sonos in this day of Social media where everything mentioned online is amplified (no pun intended) again and again. Twitter and Facebook book are hitting this hard and this is just 4 or 5 hours since the emails droppped......Will be interesting to see how Sonos stock does over the next week or so and in the run up to May

jouster

You'd have thought they might have been a little bit better prepared for the inevitable backlash and requests for further information...
Oh totally....to say they are going to let people know in May...which I guess is when the changes will happen, is incredibly short-sighted...having a full set of answers now AND a well planned software upgrade in place to allow harmonious existence of legacy and modern devices would have had them in a much better place

k-spin

Yeah, I wouldn't have been remotely bothered if they said my Connect wouldn't receive all the new functionality they're rolling out to newer devices (I'm frankly not really interested in any of the new voice stuff etc they've released over the past couple of years) but the uncertainty of not knowing for how much longer I'll be able to stream files from my NAS and listen to Spotify, and what the implications of adding further devices to my system at a later date might be, is frustrating.

jouster

I don't believe the music library streaming of your own music will be affected as this is controlled by Sonos themselves...it is a thing like music streaming from the likes of Apple, Amazon and Spotify which could be cut off with a security update from their end that will have the most impact....

jouster

not totally shocked to see the American users already throwing around the Class action lawsuit threat...

jouster

lots of "I'm going back to wired systems...they sound better anyway"

jouster

I don't believe the music library streaming of your own music will be affected as this is controlled by Sonos themselves...it is a thing like music streaming from the likes of Apple, Amazon and Spotify which could be cut off with a security update from their end that will have the most impact....
I actually sue the Music Library function a lot and have done since I started using Sonos (when it was really the main way to use it)....Although I have Spotify and other streaming access...and even have my music stored on Google Music Servers AND on my own Plex server for "anywhere, anytime" access....I still find myself often going "old school" and using the app or a computer to access my own collections...much of which isnt available on any streaming services (not saying anyone else would want to listen to some of the garbage I like)...but I can't imagine my kids (9 and 4) would ever go that way as voice-controlled is just what they know ...or dad, can you play.....)....

Mr X

Distinguished Member
very clever that they announce this just after putting their prices back up to the normal rates again.
Hardly encouraging people to upgrade especially after their “recycling” approach has hit the media for the wrong reasons.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Ignoring the rants on that Sonos thread (now up to page 42!) there's a couple of things I take from reading quite a few posts and they reflect my current feelings.

1) People like to decide for themselves when they're going to ditch hardware and get something newer.
2) A lot of people have just lost all confidence and trust in Sonos as a company and so don't feel like replacing their 'old' hardware with something new from Sonos.

Before this broke I was either going to sell my ZP90s or I was going to trade them in for something else maybe a Beam and a Move. It was more than likely going to be the trade-up route because I've tried to sell them on here before and got stupidly low offers for them. But neither of those units are cheap and they both have some issues. So then I looked at the new version of my ZP120 but as soon as I saw the price of that thing I decided against it. Even with the 30% discount it is too much in my opinion. Maybe you could argue that the prices of the units are higher than other brands because it includes lifetime support as well but as we are now seeing, Sonos can decide when that support ends.

But now I feel that I would just be digging myself deeper into a Sonos hole where I'd be more reliant on them as a company to keep my devices going. I rarely use Spotify (free version) and 99% of my Sonos listening is internet radio and streaming my FLAC files from my NAS . I don't want voice control either so my preferred option will be to stop getting software updates come May. Then if any of my devices do expire, I just won't replace them.

Last edited:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I also read someone posting that they have many of the Play5 gen 1 speakers and they were saying that as well as paying a fortune to replace them with gen 2 speakers, they would also have to replace the flexson stands as they are not the same. If they decided to do this with the Play1 speakers I'd have 4 Flexson stands that would need replacing if I decided to trade in. The cost just keeps going up!

nicka099

I’m not happy with this announcement, having a mix of old and newer equipment.

Many people are stating they are done with Sonos and going to something else, but I’m curious what better options there are ? At the cheaper end, I doubt google/amazon will support old devices much beyond 5 years. Going higher, I would also have concerns about Yamaha, Denon, Bose and Bluesound and wouldn’t be surprised if they take same approach.
Realistically, if you want a multi-room system with good sound, streaming support, voice activation, some AV offerings, no dropouts and pretty decent support when things go awry, what other options are there which will also support those devices over many years ???

jouster

Totally agree with the lack of trust. Going forward, it's the not knowing when the same could happen to any other devices.

I predict they will find a way to have legacy products working with modern ones and this should appease most people.

That said there will still be those upset that there ten years old device can't have new features so there will always be those unhappy

If they do this right, legacy products will continue to have a market for those happy with where the system is currently, but in my opinion, they don't want there to be a secondary marketplace and this is why they brick devices that had been upgraded.

Watch this space.

jouster

I’m not happy with this announcement, having a mix of old and newer equipment.

Many people are stating they are done with Sonos and going to something else, but I’m curious what better options there are ? At the cheaper end, I doubt google/amazon will support old devices much beyond 5 years. Going higher, I would also have concerns about Yamaha, Denon, Bose and Bluesound and wouldn’t be surprised if they take same approach.
Realistically, if you want a multi-room system with good sound, streaming support, voice activation, some AV offerings, no dropouts and pretty decent support when things go awry, what other options are there which will also support those devices over many years ???
I think there are no other options to completely replace a Sonos system and guarantee anything past 5 years. That's why Sonos has been so popular for so long.

This is the funniest point of so many of the posts on the Sonos forums. So many are dumping their products (which are now worth less anyway) to move to another ecosystem which either doesn't exist, will cost more or will more than likely also be bricked in another 5 years as many other ecosystems just don't have as long a lifespan.

dave77

I read Sonos were getting a lot of flak as they only supported 2.4Ghz b/g, not n. Could it be that the newer models do support n but can't use it alongside older models?

jouster

I read Sonos were getting a lot of flak as they only supported 2.4Ghz b/g, not n. Could it be that the newer models do support n but can't use it alongside older models?
Possibly but in truth 5ghz works over shorter distances (this is why the HT setups DO use 5gHz to community between themselves)

If the average home has a handful of Sonos devices, 5ghz would like not be useful anyway.

jouster

The backlash continues with more stating they are going back to wired systems...which have always sounded better in truth...but the whole fully integrated home system isn't as easy to replicate.

So the story continues

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
The backlash continues with more stating they are going back to wired systems...which have always sounded better in truth...but the whole fully integrated home system isn't as easy to replicate.

So the story continues
People are now arguing that something costing £500 in 2014 isn't old. So price is now a factor for determining something's age?

So my £400 Galaxy S2 must still be current tech then...

Do people not understand that technology moves fast!

I think people are really misunderstanding what is being said by Sonos. But unfortunately Sonos started it with loose information.

dave77

People are now arguing that something costing £500 in 2014 isn't old. So price is now a factor for determining something's age?

So my £400 Galaxy S2 must still be current tech then...
That's the society we live in today, if you told someone 20 years ago that we'd be spending ~£300 per year on phones (each!) and potentially upgrading TV's every few years, you'd be considered mad :)

indus

Distinguished Member
My ZP80s are probably almost 15 years old so I'm not too upset that they can no longer be updated and potentially used. I've got a lot of use out of them.

What annoys me is that if they are in the system than that means my more recent acquisitions like Ones and bar will also not be updated.

I was using my ZP80 just last night to stream apple music to my dac. I have a Simaudio Moon streaming dac that for some reason doesn't support apple music.

jouster

That's the society we live in today, if you told someone 20 years ago that we'd be spending ~£300 per year on phones (each!) and potentially upgrading TV's every few years, you'd be considered mad :)
£300 a year on phones????...many spend £1000+ on a new phone each year