Quantcast

AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Do you know anyone with a 3D printer? If so you could see if there's anything on thinyverse etc that meets your requirements or CAD one up based on the Flexson stand.
Unfortunately not. Will just have to go with the stands. Thanks though.

jouster

Naughty Amazon and Google...

won't be too surprised to see Sonos pulling all Google access to their speakers very soon unless a reasonably large payout gets agreed....looking like Amazon/Youtube thing happening all over again. (Obviously thinking the same could happen with Amazon if they’re going after them next)

Probably goes some way to explaining why the Google/Sonos skills took so long to come to frutiion

Last edited:

jouster

On a separate note, picked up a discounted Flexson ceiling bracket for the super cheap One I got after they bricked my CR100 controller.
It’s been getting very little use since purchase but now I can put it in the en suite and get to use it daily whilst showering and other bathroom activities.

not bad for £53, down from RRP of £100, just because the original box was damaged.

4D20BF5F-C228-4117-9A3C-B4351369670E.jpeg
CB85ECD3-8886-42A9-B2BC-167985A5A4C6.jpeg

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
On a separate note, picked up a discounted Flexson ceiling bracket for the super cheap One I got after they bricked my CR100 controller.
It’s been getting very little use since purchase but now I can put it in the en suite and get to use it daily whilst showering and other bathroom activities.

not bad for £53, down from RRP of £100, just because the original box was damaged.

View attachment 1241847View attachment 1241848
That looks cool! Just realised scrolling through the posts on the Sonos page on a certain website that the pictures looked familiar :rotfl:

BMox81

Distinguished Member
So what do we reckon to all this Sonos/Google stuff then?

Have to be honest and don't feel too over the moon with all this having only just taken the plunge on the Beam and One's....

Desmo

Do you have or would you want any Google stuff? Personally it doesn't bother me one bit.

jamieu

So what do we reckon to all this Sonos/Google stuff then?

Have to be honest and don't feel too over the moon with all this having only just taken the plunge on the Beam and One's....
I guess the danger is Google offer to buy out Sonos to make it all go away and in the process gain Sonos' patents — chump change for Alphabet/Google for all of Sonos' patents. That would also give Google an edge over Amazon ie. if Google own Sonos and in turn all their patents then that puts Google in a strong position to go after Amazon for patent infringement. Maybe this is actually Sonos' game plan / plan b.

From what I have read Google, as part of the initial Google/Sonos deal and before Google had their own speaker range, asked Sonos to provide Google with technical documents showing how Sonos worked under the hood. This was before Google made their own speakers so Sonos didn't feel this was a direct threat, maybe unwise / foolish in retrospect.

Later on when Google released their own speakers, Sonos did some packet inspection on the Google protocol and they discovered it was remarkable similar to Sonos' protocol. If that is true and it can be proven in court then I expect Sonos will have a fairly sound case and Google will have to agree to licence certain technologies from them, which is what I understand Sonos have been asking for privately up till now. It's not like Google don't already licence patents from other companies.

Amazon and Google aren't going to be giving up on selling networked speakers any time soon, so I expect they'll either end up licensing certain patents from Sonos, while simultaneously working to circumvent them in new products.

Also Google and Amazon have enough cash to bleed Sonos dry in court and it's not like either Google or Amazon have a reputation to tarnish anymore. Neither of which bode well for Sonos.

Be interesting to see how it turns out...be surprised if it has any short term effect on Sonos — unless you currently use Google assistant/music or Alexa/Amazon music with your Sonos speakers. But be good to see the little guy win for one!

Last edited:

jamieu

Do you have or would you want any Google stuff? Personally it doesn't bother me one bit.
Well I haven't forgiven them for stopping my Nest thermostat from working with my Harmony remote (after they bought out Nest) ;-)

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Be interesting to see how it turns out...be surprised if it has any short term effect on Sonos — unless you currently use Google assistant/music or Alexa/Amazon music with your Sonos speakers. But be good to see the little guy win for one!
Isn’t that the reason most people buy the Beam or One’s though?

jouster

Well regardless of the Google issue, it sounds like Amazon and a Echo will be next so everyone could be affected

jouster

Well I haven't forgiven them for stopping my Nest thermostat from working with my Harmony remote (after they bought out Nest) ;-)
Mine still works with my Harmony, but I haven't switched over to Google from Nest

jouster

Should we be worried? Are Sonos struggling? :eek: :(
I doubt they are "struggling" but I do think they have rested on their laurels for a bit too long and just hoped that their growing fan base will excuse their lack of innovation of late.

jouster

as usual the Sonbos Fanboys (almost worse than Apple now...dont get me wrong I love both but come on) see them doing no wrong whilst they continue to buy Sonos HT thinking it is better than anything wired....regardless of what Sonos HT is missing.

Hopefully Sonos start to realise they are no longer the only system out there...whilst Im not sure 24 bit audio is the most threat to their system in general...they certainly need to bring a bit more to the table

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I hate that about the Sonos forums, the people who just don't let anyone say anything bad about Sonos. I'm starting to think that it's an American thing, you mustn't say anything bad about American companies and their products, whereas us in the UK take delight in bashing our own companies :D

jouster

it is quite amazing how so many people have become so blinkered. I've been a long time fan of Sonos but certainly, see where they have fallen short for myself and many other users.

Amazon and Google have come along and picked up the people who just didn't want to spend "200 on a single speaker. Even Apple with their HUGE fanbase couldn't convert people with their speakers so it shows how the price is still king a lot of the time.

And to tell users they cannot use their systems in a way other than they are told (no Airplay 2, for example) and "forcing" users to upgrade

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Indeed they don't seem to mind having to alienate some of their customers these days.

They started with binning the CR100 controller (admittedly I got a free Sonos One speaker from them for moaning about it!). There were quite a few people who had several CR100 controllers and overnight they were deemed useless.

Then came the withdrawal of playing from iphones and ipads to certain speakers. I think they blame Apple for that but it still doesn't help those who only bought speakers so they could play stuff from their phones.

Now there's the fuss about the trade up scheme. I personally have no problem with this and may take advantage of it as I haven't been able to sell my ZP90 units for a decent price. BUT it has hit quite a few websites over the Christmas break and Sonos are being made to look like villains for doing this - even the BBC news website jumped on the bandwagon.

Like has been said above, there seems to be a certain arrogance that 'we are Sonos and we do what we like'. This makes people a bit jittery about what units they might be making obsolete next. I'm dreading the Play1 being made 'redundant' as I have 4 of them.