Quantcast

AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

paulrw

Yeah. Your tracks are played from "my music" from sonos app, after you have added GPM to sonos as a source.
I uploaded my itunes library to GPM from my pc first. After that google play music manager will upload any new tracks you rip to itunes automatically.
You do have to create a GPM account first, linking credit card, but don't worry it is not used unless you buy music from GPM, storing your own tracks is FREE.
Android devices can stream to sonos directly from GPM app, and not use the sonos app at all.

By the way, if GPM recognizes your track it gives a link to the track and does not actually upload yours. Only if you have tracks GPM does not, does it actually upload a copy to its servers.

Last edited:

paulrw

Alex works with tunein radio as well, and spotify paid for account.
Should work with apple music later this year.

Alps

Yeah. Your tracks are played from "my music" from sonos app, after you have added GPM to sonos as a source.
I uploaded my itunes library to GPM from my pc first. After that google play music manager will upload any new tracks you rip to itunes automatically.
You do have to create a GPM account first, linking credit card, but don't worry it is not used unless you buy music from GPM, storing your own tracks is FREE.
Android devices can stream to sonos directly from GPM app, and not use the sonos app at all.

By the way, if GPM recognizes your track it gives a link to the track and does not actually upload yours. Only if you have tracks GPM does not, does it actually upload a copy to its servers.
Brilliant. And how about voice control to select a song from the iPhone? Is that possible? Or is it old fashioned method by physically selecting the song from the phone?

Alps

God help us if we actually have to press a button on a remote control ;)
Haha! But hands-free does help when you're in the kitchen, hands are filthy from cooking and the cr4ppiest song comes on and you either have to cook through it or wash your hands and change it! :facepalm:

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Just a shame Alexa can’t control your NAS tunes else I’d be all over this. Shouldn’t be that hard if Siri can read your local iOS library without issue.

wass1985

So just to confirm this, Alexa on the Sonos doesn't just work with Amazon Music? You can actually ask it to play music from any of the above streaming services?

breadmaker6

Haha! But hands-free does help when you're in the kitchen, hands are filthy from cooking and the cr4ppiest song comes on and you either have to cook through it or wash your hands and change it! :facepalm:
This. Plus my son with SEN finds it really simple to use and has fun with Alexa telling him jokes as well!

Alps

And is there a way i can listen to my ITunes library on it?
Yes. The Sonos app links to your iTunes library on your iPhone or iPad. The only thing is you can't voice control selection of a song. You've got to choose it manually on the phone. You can adjust the volume. But to change track you've got to go back to your phone or iPad.

I don't know if you can voice control itunes library via the Google Music App.

jouster

Seems there was a glitch on amazon allowing me to buy two Sonos Ones for £300. It’s not dispatched yet so will see what happens. Seems it’s been fixed now though

paulrw

My daughter gets apple music for £4.99 as she is a student.
Look out for 1st 3month free offers.
Amazon prime £79/year gets you the grand tour as well ;O)

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Is there any streaming service where you can have two accounts or a family package with 2 different addresses?
Both Spotify and Google play music will let you add anyone to your family plan. I've added my best mate to my family plan so get all 4 of my family for a tenner and my mate contributes the extra fiver it costs above my previous single account.

wass1985

Both Spotify and Google play music will let you add anyone to your family plan. I've added my best mate to my family plan so get all 4 of my family for a tenner and my mate contributes the extra fiver it costs above my previous single account.
But i thought they all have to be in the same household?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
But i thought they all have to be in the same household?
I couldn't find any mention of that in the t&c for GPM, I've not checked Spotify.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Just had a quick Google. You're right the requirements are different for Google music and Spotify.

Spotify is 5 members who live in the same household.

Google music is 6 members, the only stipulation is the 6 are in the same country and not already in a different family group, no restrictions on the same address at all.

paulrw

You can use the one account on several devices, just not at the same time. So i can play GPM music at work on my pc, but then have to stop if someone at home uses sonos and GPM.
If you want music at same time, on more than one device, then a family account is needed.