AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

GarryPearson

Established Member
Reaction score
The brand new Sonos Zoneplayer S5 is now out after being kept under wraps. New product from Sonos, details released today.

Ideal for iPhone and iTouch owners.

We are taking pre-orders for the next two weeks which is when it will be in stock from in the UK. First come first served basis!.

£349 inc VAT. Free shipping.

5 integrated speakers powered by 5 dedicated digital amps and an all-digital sound architecture. Crystal-clear, room-filling sound that rivals much larger audio equipment.

Built-in carrying handle making it easy to move anywhere for an impromptu party and a headphone jack for single room listening.

Contact me for more details!.
Garry. 01254 268850.
Multi Room Systems. www.multi-roomsystems.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard this in action on the Sonos trade day a couple of weeks ago at the Emirates Stadium, and it really is a great addition to the Sonos Range!

Further details on the Sonos web site and on ours too!

Now if they could get Spotify access I might be tempted...:thumbsup:

It's being worked on! :smashin:

I hope so, Spotify is one of the few tech ideas that Mrs Dan highly approves of so I could justify implementing a multi room setup if she could play whatever she likes in any room even if I don't buy the CD;)

I wish they'd releae their already finished iPhone app then I'd be tempted. The iphone functionality is the icing on the cake for me especially the Spotify offline function - no more burning CD's for the car!

That is bloody brilliant and perfect for the kitchen.

Just for the avoidance of any doubt, will this integrate within an existing Sonos network?

Well the S5 sorts out the dilemma I had of extending the sonos network in my house to the littlun's bedroom! And as for the napster app, get it sorted for my iPhone!

Has anyone compared the Napster catalogue to Spotify's?

Spotify is the only streaming service I've ever used so not sure what they're all like content-wise.

Should add that I have just ordered a BU250 a new S5 from Garry and once they arrive I will let everyone know what the S5 is like.

I originally had a Sonos system back in 2005 so looking forward to having it back again.

Should add that I have just ordered a BU250 a new S5 from Garry and once they arrive I will let everyone know what the S5 is like.

I originally had a Sonos system back in 2005 so looking forward to having it back again.

I'm in contact with Garry at the moment about a potential purchase and the S5 is an option. It'd be good to know what you think about it, as it's doubtful I'll get a demo anywhere soon. :)

Thanks for the plug inkinoo! :thumbsup:

Integrates fine with all other Sonos Zoneplayers by the way. Sonos is releasing Sonos Software v. 3.1. Allows the S5 to work seamlessly with any existing Sonos products. And it also includes Twitter integration so you can tell friends and followers what you are listening to on Sonos, right from any Sonos Controller. Nice idea!.

Simply plug the S5 in, press 2 buttons and it’s instantly part of your Sonos system. Perfect for the kid’s room, kitchen, guestroom, even the garden (but its not weather proof).

Hmmm, S5 weatherproof version like the 'Outcast' wireless speaker by Soundcast....good idea do you think?.

Menthel - fancy pre-ordering an S5? :D

Might be worth you taking a look at the newly launched Sonos S5 Zoneplayer with in-built speakers, out today for pre-order with us at £349 inc VAT. Ideal for iPhone & iTouch users, just grab the free Sonos controller app. The S5 is portable too.

Its on our website per link below:
Sonos ZonePlayer S5. Pre-Order Now!

Can somebody explain to me why this is more "ideal for iPhone & iTouch users" than the other Sonos ZPs?
I believe the only reason they do this marketing blab is because otherwise they would have to include the price of a controller into their "entry level" offering since it has no means of controlling it without one...

So in fact it's more like: ONLY good for existing Sonos or iPhone/iTouch users, all others are in for a £700 kitchen radio...

Last edited:
Every Sonos zoneplayer comes with free desktop controller software as a means of control. Including the S5.

Its more ideal for iPhone owners in that you dont need anything else to get going with a Sonos system, the S5 has in-built speakers and iPhone owners already have a handheld controller once the free Sonos controller app is downloaded.

With a ZP90 or ZP120 if you dont want to use the free desktop controller software then a CR200 is an option.

£700 kitchen radio???

Its more ideal for iPhone owners in that you dont need anything else to get going with a Sonos system, the S5 has in-built speakers and iPhone owners already have a handheld controller once the free Sonos controller app is downloaded.
Still don't get it. Why are built-in-speakers better for iPhone owners than for other users?
The free Sonos controller App works very well with my ZP90 as well, why is the ZP90 less well suited for my iPhone?
With a ZP90 or ZP120 if you dont want to use the free desktop controller software then a CR200 is an option.
...or the free Sonos App for iPhone.
OK, forgot about the desktop app, don't use that a lot.
£700 kitchen radio???
S5+CR200

Yes I think it's a bit of marketing hype to try and claim that it's more iPhone friendly. I imagine they also fail to mention that people who don't already own Sonos gear will need to buy either the bridge or a wired Sonos player.

Yes I think it's a bit of marketing hype to try and claim that it's more iPhone friendly. I imagine they also fail to mention that people who don't already own Sonos gear will need to buy either the bridge or a wired Sonos player.
The S5 has two Ethernet ports :thumbsup:

I do find it amazing, given this is AVForums, how so many people are critical of Sonos.

Still don't get it. Why are built-in-speakers better for iPhone owners than for other users?
The free Sonos controller App works very well with my ZP90 as well, why is the ZP90 less well suited for my iPhone?

...or the free Sonos App for iPhone.
OK, forgot about the desktop app, don't use that a lot.

S5+CR200

Because with a ZP90 you still need an amp and some speakers. If you are ALREADY an iPhone owner then an S5 is all you need to be up and running, hence "ideal for iPhone users". No other expence needed. It may be marketing hype but it does make sence.

In terms of how the S5 performs, I was very pleasantly surprised by a) the volume level it produces, and b) the quality of the sound, it really did fill up a very large area within the Emirates Stadium (no not pitchside!!). Of course any device of this type is not going to have subwoofer levels of bass, but the S5 is more than capable in this area for it's size and price. Ideal IMO for bedrooms, dining rooms, and kitchens.

If anyone is in or near NW London, we will have an S5 available for demo soon, let me know if you want a dem, and I can let you know when it's in and hooked up.

Sorry if I came across as critical, it wasn't meant. I'm still debating which system to buy yet :D
I was merely thinking the same about the marketing, it's like if they mention iPhone or iPod then it makes it much more of a desirable item !

Sorry if I came across as critical, it wasn't meant. I'm still debating which system to buy yet :D
I was merely thinking the same about the marketing, it's like if they mention iPhone or iPod then it makes it much more of a desirable item !

Well I can see why they mention the iPhone. Yes you can control the S5 from your PC but the main selling point of the Sonos is the wireless control of your music, which you get from either your iPhone or Sonos controller.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom