AVForums Podcast Live 10th May 2020 - Craig Cunningham interview from Samsung, Soundbar review, 50 albums for lockdown and more...

Yes I would, but as I said to Craig on the podcast Samsung will still lose sales due to a lack of DV support.
thanks for that, i may upgrade this summer as it looks like the holiday's off! and its good to know if i bought a top end Samsung, the lack of DV would not be an issue

Steve - Is there a recommended minimum nit brightness level whereby DV etc are not so important?
I don't know for sure, but if a TV can deliver at least 1000nits and 100%of DCI-P3 (full colour volume), then that eliminates the need to actually tone map the majority of HDR content. However, even now achieving those specs remains difficult.

Really enjoyed the podcast, watched slightly later on Sunday night while cleaning up, audio quality was very good.
Shame of missing out as I would love to have asked Craig if the 2020 32” Frame is coming to the UK/Ireland.

I don't know for sure, but if a TV can deliver at least 1000nits and 100%of DCI-P3 (full colour volume), then that eliminates the need to actually tone map the majority of HDR content. However, even now achieving those specs remains difficult.
But surely it’s just a matter of time before content will be mastered at 4000nits. I know it won’t be that soon (esp with content creators knowing the limits of OLEDs), but in time the screens will get brighter given the push from Samsung, as well as TCL and Visio in the States.

Some already are mastered to 4000 nits.

Last edited:
Some already are mastered to 4000 nits.
Wow - Warners weren't messing about with the US release of Blade Runner 2049.

Craig said in the podcast that the update requires the One Connect box, which restricts it to the Q85 and Q90.
Hey Steve! Still no eARC update from samsung regarding q85r or q90r. I actually dichted my 82” q70r for a 75” q85r beacause Craig confirmed it would get eARC which makes it as good as q90t/q95t.

What did you want me to do about it mate? I don't work for Samsung!
Yeah yeah I know! :) just thought you might be able to raise the issue to another level? A lot of forum members complaining about this but Samsung does not give any response at all, not even a yes or no, just silence :/

Yeah yeah I know! :) just thought you might be able to raise the issue to another level? A lot of forum members complaining about this but Samsung does not give any response at all, not even a yes or no, just silence :/
I'll give Craig a nudge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom