Quantcast

AVForums Podcast: Episode 263 - 13th May 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
00:01:01 - What have the team been doing this week?
00:11:58 - Current Competitions
00:14:15 - Steve's 'In Memoriam' section
00:19:10 - Samsung Q90R 4k TV Review
00:32:58 - Subwoofer review round-up
00:38:25 - Nuraphone headphone review
00:43:38 - High End Show Munich - report
00:54:44 - Long Shot film review
00:58:42 - Cinema and streaming releases this week
01:04:22 - 4K and Blu-ray disc releases this week
01:06:11 - Spoiler heavy Avengers: Endgame review
01:33:16 - Goodbyes Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Cas Harlow and Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:34:00 | File Size: 184mb | Direct Link

mclingo

guys, I remember you saying a while back you'd be producing more videos, this doesnt seem to be happening and I cant help feeling this is reflected in your relatively low you tube subscriptions, are you going to step this up at all, maybe get someone in just to do videos for youtube?

cooperda

Just into the section of actors lost - and then reading Doris Day has sadly died - all be it at age 97 :)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
guys, I remember you saying a while back you'd be producing more videos, this doesnt seem to be happening and I cant help feeling this is reflected in your relatively low you tube subscriptions, are you going to step this up at all, maybe get someone in just to do videos for youtube?
Yes, this is happening, but it requires a lot of work behind the scenes to get up and running. I have around 10 review videos all in various stages of production as we speak and almost at the stage where the workflow means there will be a steady stream of videos appearing. It's also a team of one.

mclingo

excellent news Phil :)

mclingo

spot on with Wandering earth, sets and effects were top notch, just let down with editing and acting. A decent 6.5/10 scifi

Toon Army

Thanks gents and good to hear all of you again. Any tips on how to avoid screenings with subtitles?

Sandyb01

Yes, this is happening, but it requires a lot of work behind the scenes to get up and running. I have around 10 review videos all in various stages of production as we speak and almost at the stage where the workflow means there will be a steady stream of videos appearing. It's also a team of one.
They're worth waiting for, don't worry.

If I literally had any skills to offer, I would....

Gilbers

@Steve Withers - "Silence Mode" on the BenQ projectors just switches of the pixel shift, so the trade-off is that you only get a 1080p image.

From the W2700 manual:

"Minimizes the acoustic noise. It is suitable for the need of watching movies that requires an ultra-quiet environment so that you won't be disturbed by the noise of the projector. When this mode is used, the following menu functions will be automatically changed to the designated settings and grayed out. • Off: To turn on XPR (The display resolution will be 3840 x 2160.) • On: To turn off XPR (The display resolution will be 1920 x 1080.)"

Last edited:

charles

The review/ comparison of the latest Samsung is still not on line Phil!

SonOfSJ

You seem to be forgetting that in post #5 Mr Hinton had said:
It's also a team of one.
Considering that we are getting steady stream of AV and film reviews on this site with no effort on our part (not to mention absolutely FREE), I think that we should be damned grateful. I'm sure that Mr Hinton will do the Samsung review when he can. Give the man a break!

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I had to check out the new Apple app and airplay, which appeared just as I was finishing the video review, to see if it is worth talking about or if it causes any issues. The review will be up tomorrow now.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
@Steve Withers - "Silence Mode" on the BenQ projectors just switches of the pixel shift, so the trade-off is that you only get a 1080p image.

From the W2700 manual:

"Minimizes the acoustic noise. It is suitable for the need of watching movies that requires an ultra-quiet environment so that you won't be disturbed by the noise of the projector. When this mode is used, the following menu functions will be automatically changed to the designated settings and grayed out. • Off: To turn on XPR (The display resolution will be 3840 x 2160.) • On: To turn off XPR (The display resolution will be 1920 x 1080.)"
Thanks, that was ultimately the conclusion I came to, although it would have been quicker and easier if I'd just looked in the manual!

John

@Ed Selley after god knows how many years you have saved my sanity.
I had seen the Jag pootling along Skimpot Road in Luton years ago, but could I find anyone else that had seen it , nope !

Jokerr

Although the Nuraphone headphone is not quite for me due to unusual base effect, i do compliment them for challenging traditional design.

Maybe next iteration will be more widely accepted.

The so called custom profiles are based on preset that best fits, so it is not truly custom. That technology is still in infancy. Not developed by Nuraphone but another Company/s who supply it to many headphone manufacturers = Sony, Beyerdynamic, etc.

I tried it out on a £600 Beyerdynamic Bluetooth headphone at Canjam London and it was not a good experience. Sounded better turned off.

Last edited: