AVForums Podcast: Episode 257 - 18th March 2019

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 18, 2019.

1. beechy06

beechy06

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +292
      Great podcast as usual guys,

On test tracks one i’ve liked for testing out subs / bass on speakers is:

Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip

Got introduced to it some 15 years ago in my car audio days but still like to give it a blast now and then!

2. Monkeyjunk

Monkeyjunk
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      I'm still having issues with last week's podcast downloading instead of this week's. I've tried unsubscribe and resubscribe and deleting and reloading the podcast. It seems to be a tenacious error using Pocket Casts app across multiple devices.

3. Giggles

Giggles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      I don’t know much about Projectors, but expect that new flat screen technologies might superceed many products in the future.
      For example, that Sony Clitoris Wall looks impressive even though it is probably years away.

By the way, when I did a Google search for Clitoris Wall it revealed some strange images which look like the Predators mouth. Odd.

4. Habanero

Habanero

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +569
      On the subject of demo disks:

My favourite surround sound test is the scene from Heat when the gang exit the bank, and the police are waiting outside. The massive gunfight, smashing glass and distant sirens is great.

On vision, I like the scene from Oblivion where Morgan Freeman's face appears in a cave lit only by a candle. When I first saw it on an OLED in a fairly dark room, it was quite spooky as it just seemed to hanging in the air.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    5. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +948
      It seemed to resolve itself the day after. Thanks for the response.

6. Giggles

Giggles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      Phil mentioned in this podcast or last weeks that a topic would be 2018 TV deals vs new 2019 TV’s. I look forward to that.

7. Giggles

Giggles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      Marvel Gurdians of Galaxy vol 2 been added in DOLBYVISION & ATMOS format to Netflix. This is a big deal as might be first non Netflix Movie to be on Netflix in such high quality format. Unusual timing as Disney in USA already announced the withdrawal of Marvel Movies from Netflix.

I bet Netflix has agreed to share some data viewing stats on this movie in this format and in return Disney given rights to show it on Netflix.

8. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +664
      Re demo disks, I always enjoy the opening scene of The Dark Knight with the bank robbery. Usually turn up the volume and bass for it.

9. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,904
      Thanks guys. I have been called many things over the years, but that may be the first time I have been called a "star".:)

The marketing at Benq are very good, and if you were to believe all the DLP marketing, they would all do HDR well. What makes the likes of Sony and JVC different is the level of adjustment we get over the gamma curve which is used to cover the EOTF. JVC works at 8 bit, so 256 steps, and Sony works at 10 bit so over a 1000 points. This gives much greater flexibility, compared to the limited adjustment you get on DLP.

Interesting to see the Benq quote the P3 specs, but we will see how they have done this, as if they have altered the colour wheel too much it could cause too many problems with over-saturation etc with Rec.709. The other problem DLP has is with native contrast, and in particular the black level. It is fine in higher APL (average picture levels), but on the lower APL scenes i.e. star scenes with lots of black, they are not of the same level as most of the other technologies, and it can spoil enjoyment for some.

Definately worth looking into this :lesson:, if you are into your bass, have good subwoofers, and are quite tech savvy. @paulst10 tipped me off on this thread late last year (we are constantly learning in this industry and this includes digesting information from customers), and it has made a big difference in our demo room.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix, you could try raising the picture tone within the gamma section, but this is very course, and can cause more problems than benefits. Custom curves will help with the issue you are seeing.

Definitely not a recommended search on Google for some. Not sure Sony through the name through that well:rotfl:

I took a look at the Samsung 'wall' again earlier this week, and it is might impressive, but there are a few things that hold it back i.e. price, joins, depth etc. All these will come down with time, but the biggest issue is likely to be that you do not want to watch everything at that size, i.e. BBC news, soaps, catch-up etc, as the artifacts would be horrendous, and this is where projectors have the advantage, as people will often retain their 55"-65", and then use a drop down screen to drop down in front of the TV, which could be 130" plus for the main events. What may change this is when LG master rollable OLED at large sizes, but that is some time off, I would think.

The dark knight has a lot of good demo scenes. We often use the underpass chapter, as it shows the strengths in black levels.

Lone survivor, and Lucy are also regular demo discs, and still one of my favorites is Mad Max 4K HDR. Whilst the image is quite 'noisy' when you reach the outback scene at the beginning, the sound in Atmos is still some of the best that has been produced for making full use of the speakers (and we now use a 9.1.6 system). It is surprising that many demo scenes people use (i.e. Ready Player One Race Scene) do not even use more than 2 height channels in the mix.

10. paulst10

paulst10
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,249
      Ah, @Rickyj @ Kalibrate has been adding secret BassEQ sauce to his demos :D I like it :)

You wouldn't fit a black box to a supercar, why limit the capabilities of a decent Subwoofer? :devil:
      BassEQ is the future :)

11. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,904
      In all honesty it is quite awkward to do for lots of 5-10 min clips, but if the demo is purely around subwoofers, or for the initial clip, it is could be used. :)