AVForums Podcast: Episode 255 - 4th March 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:36 - What have the team done this week?
00:07:08 - Current Competitions
00:08:58 - Phil reviews the Optoma UHL55 4K DLP Projector
00:24:16 - Steve reviews the Wharfedale Vista 200S Soundbar
00:29:31 - First thoughts on Samsung Q90R TV
00:40:38 - Ed reviews the Rega Planar 8 turntable
00:49:46 - Coming for review this month
00:56:11 - Phil reviews 'Fighting with my Family' at the Cinema
01:02:24 - Films opening this week
01:07:47 - Blu-ray and 4K discs released this week
01:10:09 - Should the BBC Licence fee be scrapped?
01:25:07 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:25:52 | File Size: 134mb | Direct Link

Something seems not quite right. iTunes is saying "Authorization is needed", and clicking on the above "Direct Link" gives a "403 Forbidden" error. Also the embedded player is showing as length 00:00. @Phil Hinton

Not playing for me either, will try and download and try then

I receive a "failed-forbidden" message when attempting to download the MP3 directly.

Strange, I have deleted and uploaded the file again, can you get it now?

Strange, I have deleted and uploaded the file again, can you get it now?

Downloading as I type. Thanks, that's my listening for the commute home sorted.

Thanks guys, very interesting early thoughts on the Samsung. Like the idea of iTunes movies too, removing the need for Apple Tv (or assuming it does).
Completely agree about hdmi version, while I've been banging on about 2.1 to ensure VRR etc, as you mentioned Phil, 2019 LG's may well have 2.1 but may not necessary turn those features on. While 2.0b can handle it, once again, need manufacturers to clarify what will be turned on (wishful thinking I know) for future-proofers before purchase as there aren't too many features that get rolled out once released, but nice to know 4K 120Hz is still possible on 2.0b.

It is really good to hear that Samsung look like they have cracked it instead of just giving in and buying OLED panels in. OK Dolby vision exclusion seems even more nuts now.

I wonder if other manufacturers would have not gone down the OLED route we could have been in this position a few years ago. Samsung have had to do this all on their own.

Thanks guys, very interesting early thoughts on the Samsung. Like the idea of iTunes movies too, removing the need for Apple Tv (or assuming it does).
Completely agree about hdmi version, while I've been banging on about 2.1 to ensure VRR etc, as you mentioned Phil, 2019 LG's may well have 2.1 but may not necessary turn those features on. While 2.0b can handle it, once again, need manufacturers to clarify what will be turned on (wishful thinking I know) for future-proofers before purchase as there aren't too many features that get rolled out once released, but nice to know 4K 120Hz is still possible on 2.0b.
According to Samsung even though the One Connect box only has HDMI 2.0b it can support 4K @ 120Hz 4:2:0 10-bit, Dynamic Metadata, VRR, and ALLM. It could also theoretically support eARC, although Samsung hasn't bothered to add it because currently there isn't any point.

For what it's worth Count "W" Lidl are selling a Sharp 40w wall mountable soundbar for £49.99 including remote control. If you log onto their website and look at their 28th Feb / 6th March "Lidl weekly" booklet you will see all the details on page 25.

By the way the Odeon at Marble Arch is (and has been for some time) no longer. It's been demolished and being replaced by, unsurprisingly, extremely expensive apartments. Only multi millionaires need to apply. A great view over Hyde Park without the need to mow the lawn or do the weeding.

For what it's worth Count "W" Lidl are selling a Sharp 40w wall mountable soundbar for £49.99 including remote control. If you log onto their website and look at their 28th Feb / 6th March "Lidl weekly" booklet you will see all the details on page 25.
Thanks, I'm sure it sounds fantastic.

By the way the Odeon at Marble Arch is (and has been for some time) no longer. It's been demolished and being replaced by, unsurprisingly, extremely expensive apartments. Only multi millionaires need to apply. A great view over Hyde Park without the need to mow the lawn or do the weeding.
That's a shame. At least I've still got my memories of watching Aliens in a packed cinema 33 years ago (gulp).

Thanks for the Poddy guys. :) The enthusiasm and impartiality of all of your content is absolutely first rate. I admired Steve's recent article on the N7 and how honest / balanced it was.

Ed - may I ask which Audio-Technica headphones you have lined up for review please? Or is it a surprise? Personally - I've a huge interest in headphone / earphone reviews. :)

Thanks, I'm sure it sounds fantastic.

Hmm, not quite sure which way to take that comment. :rolleyes: Either way I will stick with my 7.1.4 Kef Ref & Rel sub setup. All I need now (saving up) is an Atmos / DTS:X enabled av amp to go with them. ;)

That's a shame. At least I've still got my memories of watching Aliens in a packed cinema 33 years ago (gulp).

Many years ago I saw Gandhi there on a great big widescreen which might have been true 70mm, and for the time great (analogue) Dolby surround sound. But sadly as mentioned above it's no longer there, the apartments are being built as I type. Before its demise it was internally rebuilt and became a complex with, I think, three screens instead of the one (very) big auditorium although the original large screen may have been left alone. Anyway all gawn now.

20190305_140857.jpg

I was kidding :)

I guessed as much... Naughty man, naughty man. I shall have to consider and deliberate on whether I should be calling you Count "W" anymore. :rolleyes:

Thanks gents and in particular for Steve's reviews of the Samsung TV and the Wharfedale soundbar. The later sounds like a good option for the kids' TV room, whilst I can't help but feel that the Samsung's achilles heal will be the lack of DV.
Whilst you did not recommend any TV programmes this week, can I suggest from the BBC ( ironically in view of the discussion/article ) Williams: Formula 1 in the blood. An excellent documentary for the motoring fraternity. Not sure what was the safer option at some circuits - racing or spectating due to some of the crashes shown. Only 14 days left on the iPlayer!
Look forward to the more detailed video reviews in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom