AVForums Podcast: Episode 254 - 25th February 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:01:25 - Changes to podcast recording day and release time
00:01:52 - What has the team done this week?
00:07:07 - Current Competitions
00:09:09 - Phil & Steve discuss the Panasonic Convention
00:35:16 - Steve and Ed discuss the Bristol Show
01:00:53 - Ed's playlist, album and vinyl of the month
01:04:51 - Films released this week
01:06:17 - Film of the month
01:11:53 - Disc of the month
01:19:14 - Discs released this week
01:23:53 - TV Shows of the month
01:35:49 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:37:02 | File Size: 139mb | Direct Link

Wow 137mins, I see the beer is taking effect! But I honestly love the longer podcast we have been getting.

This is two days worth of commuting!

Not only that but Ed's vinyl of the month wont be skipped since I think I'm about to take the plunge.

This weeks quotes are from
BMX Bandits

Just for a laugh I tried using Bing, and ended up with no answer but some good deals on buying walkie talkies.

The Orville shadowing the next generation good pick up.

I did notice in series one though that some story lines shadowed the original Star Trek series.

Seriously not sure how @Ed Selley can believe Genelec monitors are ugly :). My 8040s are gorgeous, far superior in design and aesthetics to your average boxes. My architect wife approved.

Also: active monitors are great (if you like that sort of thing).

Took Phil's recommendations from last week

Love The Defiant One's and the office think I'm the village idiot as I can't stop laughing listening to Finding Drago

Thank you for the Podcast.

Competitions - How do you select the Winners? Is it completely random or based on political correctness like the Oscars, joking.

The Panasonic GZ000 with Atmos speakers is the TV I am most looking forward to in-terms of 2019 TV reviews.

When it comes to Music Streaming Services all of them pretty much have availability of the latest Music releases. And you get a choice of higher quality from Tidal and Quobuz.

So why is it we have not seen a MOVIE Subscription service which features the latest digital released movies and available in 4K HDR[DOLBY VISION, HDR 10] DolbyAtmos? I don’t mind paying for it even if £20 a month = sames as Tidal HIFI subscription.

I hope such a service could be launched this year on March 25th.

Good one gents and would not expect anything less. Enjoyed the Panasonic and Bristol shows reviews. Glad I did not go to Bristol this year and had David Attenborough turned up, he would have been a relative youngster based on my experience of the crowds at previous shows.
Thoroughly recommend The Defiant Ones after watching the first two episodes. Loved Dr Dre's story about driving around LA whilst firing a paint gun at other vehicles and the reaction of his manager after being arrested.

Last edited:
When it comes to Music Streaming Services all of them pretty much have availability of the latest Music releases. And you get a choice of higher quality from Tidal and Quobuz.

So why is it we have not seen a MOVIE Subscription service which features the latest digital released movies and available in 4K HDR[DOLBY VISION, HDR 10] DolbyAtmos? I don’t mind paying for it even if £20 a month = sames as Tidal HIFI subscription.

I hope such a service could be launched this year on March 25th.

Don't you mean "this year after March 29th"? :D

Did i hear it correctly that Sony had an AV processor on show? (like the 1080 receiver , without amplification) If so, any additional info on this?

Did i hear it correctly that Sony had an AV processor on show? (like the 1080 receiver , without amplification) If so, any additional info on this?
No, they had a budget AV receiver at the Bristol show.

Ahhh great. Sounded too good to be true ;) thanks for clarifying.

Regarding Headphones at Bristol. Like it was said in the podcast it is more of a hi fi show.

For headphones the big event is Canjam which I attend every year.
The biggest, badest and best headphone manufacturers globally exhibit, including:
1. Audeze.
2. Hifi Man.
3. Sennheiser.
4. Beyerdynam9c.
5. Meze.
6. Focal, etc.

The headphone audience and enthusiasts compared to hi fi are much younger.

Took Phil's recommendations from last week

Love The Defiant One's and the office think I'm the village idiot as I can't stop laughing listening to Finding Drago

Seconded. Finished The Defiant Ones and found it fascinating - learned a lot too.

As for "Finding Drago" one the one hand it's so frivolous, pointless even - but it's so addictive and fun. I'm 4 in and i can't wait to get to the conclusion !

Thanks for this weeks podcast. Enjoyed the show / convention reports especially.

MB

Great podcast guys. As I said 1st post, love the length (fhnar)

@Phil Hinton don’t forget that The Grand Tour also drove north on the Kylesku Bridge instead of south according to their route. TBF every car show films it like this. Something to with preferring the cars coming towards the camera and if they shoe it southbound then you get the “awful” car park. And I don’t blame them missing out John o’ Groats. Blurgh.

But then you have them filming the same section with them going north and south!!! Why?!!!!! They have a budget of millions per episode and while I liked the shots in general it made it look like they had 50p to spend.

Loved seeing my country and I must get up there again, but this has me twitching something awful

Great podcast guys. As I said 1st post, love the length (fhnar)

@Phil Hinton don’t forget that The Grand Tour also drove north on the Kylesku Bridge instead of south according to their route. TBF every car show films it like this. Something to with preferring the cars coming towards the camera and if they shoe it southbound then you get the “awful” car park. And I don’t blame them missing out John o’ Groats. Blurgh.

But then you have them filming the same section with them going north and south!!! Why?!!!!! They have a budget of millions per episode and while I liked the shots in general it made it look like they had 50p to spend.

Loved seeing my country and I must get up there again, but this has me twitching something awful

This is hardly unique to this piece though. Any chase through London (or even a documentary drive through) is chopped up and non linear and I imagine this is the case for anywhere. It's going to come down to;

Photogenic locations
Weather (shots from drones will be affected more than the pricier helicopter ones
Availability of aerial cameras and the overall schedule
Editing afterwards- everyone wants their show/film to flow and this will mean creative license being applied.

As you keep mentioning it in the podcast, I've been meaning to get The Orville at some point and pulled the trigger on Amazon Prime as it's £5 for season 1 on HD which is way cheaper than anywhere else. I would've preferred it on BluRay, but the studio in their infinite wisdom only released it on DVD, so digital will have to do.

These Podcasts are making my commutes so much easier, the M62 is almost bearable.

Phil,
Were there any new Panasonic recorders on show ? I have been waiting for a UK Freeview version of the German/Swiss DMR-UBC80 since 2017

Also is there a reason the podcast mp3 has the genre 'blues' ???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom