AVForums Podcast: Episode 253 - 18th February 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
00:02:13 - What has the team done this week?
00:10:11 - Current Competitions
00:12:02 - Phil and Steve discuss the recent Samsung QLED TV launch event and the models coming this year
00:37:38 - Phil reviews the IOTA AVXP1 seven-channel power amp
00:45:58 - Ed reviews the Bluesound Node 2i network audio player
00:54:34 - Ed's music box
01:14:11 - What is Finding Drago?
01:17:54 - The past week's best TV shows
01:26:46 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:27:02 | File Size: 134mb | Direct Link

2011nigelh

Standard Member
Well I have to say you all sound awesome tonight as I'm treating myself to a listen via the Uniti Star and B&W's as opposed to the car stereo on the way to work on a Monday morning!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Great pod again guys, was a nice little treat when it popped up yesterday 10 mins before boarding a plane!
Will be interested to see how the Samsung’s review once you get your hands on them.
Very interested to read/hear thoughts on Panasonic’s show Today !

Last edited:

gindy

Hi Phil,

Seriously interested in the Iota, In terms of the Iota set-up, I’m also running at 3050 but in 5.2.4 mode, hence the question how best should use it? Just the base layer?

Thanks

Gindy

Eddy555

Fun as always, thanks for the music recommendations, I've added those to my ever increasing list of albums to listen to but will get onto them right now. The White Lies - Five album is great, well worth a listen.

I finished Nightlflyers last night and wasn't totally taken with it in the end. I feel there's some iffy acting/direction at points, and it tends to reveal things too quickly without giving a chance for some mystery to develop.
The Expanse is superb though and am going to dive into season 3 next.

Abduction In Plain Sight is highly recommended, I watched it with my folks and we were all yelling at the screen.

Habanero

It seems the quotes last week were from
Breakin'2: Electric Boogaloo
and this week are from
Beat Street
Is this connected with Mark's bad back?

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Great podcast as always guys. Always good a good listen when you change things up a bit.

Some good music shoutouts by @Ed Selley. Don't have Tidal anymore, but Kel Assouf is on Spotify. Wow, this is, awkward to categorise. But love it! Desert Electro Funk? Yeah not far off.

mikeysthoughts

I haven't had time to listen to the podcast yet, but the picture of Deep Heat rub on the link reminds me of the time I mistakenly used Deep Heat spray instead of Old Spice deodorant after a football match.

I don't know which was worse; the sting, the stink or the ribbing I got all night at the pub for a) aforementioned smell, and b) the fact that I used Old Spice as a 30 year old in 2017.

Attachments

Rockets

With the new Samsung range what I would be interested in is the Q70R with this years range bringing in the 49" screen. Last year I think it was limited to the 60 range which is only edge-lit.

This appears to be the only near premium TV that goes under 55" due to LG only doing OLED 55"+.

The question is then can the QLED Q70R compete with OLED and if it does at last there is a TV available under the 55" size that people can get excited about.

Last edited:

Jessica Noir

I'd like to give @Mark Botwright a big HAND for offering RELIEF that someone on the podcast watched Abducted in Plain Sight. I don't think I've had to pick my jaw off the floor more times than watching that film.

durera

I don't suppose there's a written record of the music recommendations given out over the course of the podcast in the past -- "show notes" or somesuch?

I've often thought "Sounds interesting, I'll search that out later" when I'm listening on the drive to work, but always forget by the time I get home ... until yesterday/today when I finally remembered and found some new favourites thank's to the pod.

Eddy555

I don't suppose there's a written record of the music recommendations given out over the course of the podcast in the past -- "show notes" or somesuch?

I've often thought "Sounds interesting, I'll search that out later" when I'm listening on the drive to work, but always forget by the time I get home ... until yesterday/today when I finally remembered and found some new favourites thank's to the pod.
A Spotify playlist would work really well for this :smashin:

EddK

@Phil Hinton I just finished the "Finding Drago" podcast, it was spectacular.

It's funny and just keeps getting better and better. Also weirder and weirder.

Loved it, thanks for the tip.

durera

A Spotify playlist would work really well for this :smashin:
Good idea. Seeing as no such thing exists today it seems I created one, and intend to revisit last year's pods to dig up the recommendations from those as well, if I find anything else new that's half as good as Feral Roots it'll be well worth the time!

Google doc to track things as I go ... AVForums Playlist

Spotify Playlist for music mentioned this week: AVForums Playlist (18 Feb 2019), a playlist by David on Spotify

Albums
  1. Scenery (Emily King) / Special mention: Forgiveness
  2. Five (The White Lies) / Special mention: Tokyo
  3. Ladytron (Ladytron)
  4. 80s Symphonic (Various Artists) / Special mention: Let’s Dance - Nile Rodgers’ String Version
  5. Feral Roots (Rival Suns)
  6. Caer (Twin Shadow)
Playlists
  1. Desert Electric “North African Guitar Music” / Special mention: Alyochan (Kel Assouf)
Singles
  1. Give Stupidity a Chance (Pet Shop Boys)

Last edited:

Eddy555

Good idea. Seeing as no such thing exists today it seems I created one, and intend to revisit last year's pods to dig up the recommendations from those as well, if I find anything else new that's half as good as Feral Roots it'll be well worth the time!

Google doc to track things as I go ... AVForums Playlist

Spotify Playlist for music mentioned this week: AVForums Playlist (18 Feb 2019), a playlist by David on Spotify

Albums
  1. Scenery (Emily King) / Special mention: Forgiveness
  2. Five (The White Lies) / Special mention: Tokyo
  3. Ladytron (Ladytron)
  4. 80s Symphonic (Various Artists) / Special mention: Let’s Dance - Nile Rodgers’ String Version
  5. Feral Roots (Rival Suns)
  6. Caer (Twin Shadow)
Playlists
  1. Desert Electric “North African Guitar Music” / Special mention: Alyochan (Kel Assouf)
Singles
  1. Give Stupidity a Chance (Pet Shop Boys)
You star, good effort dude. This will come in really useful

Jokerr

Is there a Podcast this week?
I couldn’t find it.

LicensedTaximan

Is there a Podcast this week?
I couldn’t find it.
Phil did say on the last bit of the previous poddy (18th Feb) that they would, hopefully, be here next week. So i'm guessing that they're either late or the "hopefully" bit might mean that this weeks might not happen. But it's certainly isn't here..... yet.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This weeks is coming soon. We have changed to a Sunday evening recording which means it will now get edited on a Monday morning and released later in the day on the Monday.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom