AVForums Podcast: Episode 250 - 28th January 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:29 - New cars and driving in Milton Keynes, webcam personal time, reviewer exercise and multi-movie glasses.
00:14:50 - Current Competitions
00:17:13 - Philips TV launch event
00:34:11 - The last drop of Snake Oil
00:51:35 - Ed's vinyl, album and playlist of the month
00:55:22 - Film of the month
01:00:53 - Cinema releases this week
01:05:20 - Disc releases this week
01:10:24 - Discs of the month
01:13:57 - Hot 4K discs coming soon
01:19:17 - TV shows of the month
01:28:59 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:29:47 | File Size: 129mb | Direct Link

May I congratulate you on the 250th Podcast. A very Auspicious and even some what Suspicious occasion.

The number 250 was very lucky for the ancient extinct civilisation of ‘Yaaag’, residing in now long gone ‘Gumberland’.

Looking forward to Philips 2019 TV model reviews.

Always think of this as the Top Gear cast for AV enthusiasts, with the banter and rants that go in to each episode. Well done Phil in reaching a milestone. Must have a listen to the first to see how its developed.

@Phil Hinton I'm on andriod and use player FM for podcast. It is telling me that I'm up-to-date and that there are no new podcasts. Seems like President Trump has infected my player as it is reporting fake news. Must some sort of andriod lag. im sure iOS users dont face this issue.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get the iPhone podcast - mine, too, tells me I'm up to date. I did notice that last week's 21st January podcast has been re-dated to 28th. I thought I was going loopy so "<<RWD" to the beginning and it is, indeed, 21st. I'm guessing an upload SNAFU?

I'm trying to get the iPhone podcast - mine, too, tells me I'm up to date. I did notice that last week's 21st January podcast has been re-dated to 28th. I thought I was going loopy so "<<RWD" to the beginning and it is, indeed, 21st. I'm guessing an upload SNAFU?
Oh the plot thickens. @Phil Hinton any ideas??

Can you try again? Not sure if there was an issue or not.

"In our day, the playgrounds were solid concrete. - Yeah, remember the spikes installed at the bottom of the slides. - Luxury! We had poisoned spikes..." I think it was inevitable - there must be a podcasting rule that after 250 episodes the nostalgia takes over :p

Congrats on the milestone, 2013 seems like a very long time ago already. Plasma was on its last legs, OLED was not yet a reality, nobody was even making FALD LCDs...

Just to clarify, it's 250 episodes of the weekly podcast we started a few years back. The podcast has actually been running in one form or another for 497 episodes since 2006. So, if we remember we can celebrate 500 soon ;)

When it comes to high frame rate, I assume the smaller changes between each frame will help with compression efficiency - so it will probably take quite a bit less than double the bandwidth to broadcast football or something like that.

‘Provided that you avoid collisions with Hadrian’s Wall you’re fine & Steve never exceeds 17mph’

Quote of the podcast right there from Ed :laugh::rotfl::laugh::rotfl:

If it’s any help, at 9.30am roughly, iTunes wasn’t delivering the podcast when refreshed, and was showing last weeks episode as the latest. By early afternoon refresh still didn’t work, but the iTunes Store was showing the latest episode, which I could manually ‘get’. Oddly though, the podcast for the 21st was missing from the store.

Congratulations on reaching episode 250! (weekly!)

Regarding reviewing mid-range / sub £500 TV's, I do think there is a want for this. I agree the average punter buying their TV from Tesco/Currys based purely on price is not going to do a lot of research and read reviews on TV's. I think there is a want from people like myself who are looking for a second TV for another room such as a study or bedroom, who care about quality but need something cheaper and importantly smaller than the primary TV in the living room.

Recently I bought a Philips 43" 7303 for my study in the black friday sales at £399, the primary reason was for 4K gaming on my XBox One X, but also it was to serve as a second TV so wanted something fairly decent. The room could not accommodate anything larger than 43" and I found a real lack of reviews on the internet for this TV size / price point. I had to take a bit of a punt on it in the end but really wish there had been a model round up at this price point/size that I could have used for research.

Last edited:
Gosh i remember the change from separate topic monthly podcasts to the combined weekly one. Was it really 250 episodes ago ?!! Well done anyways !

I enjoyed the snake oil article (especially the photos !) and the "delicate" way you dealt with it on the podcast :thumbsup:

Cheers

MB

You guys make my Mondays

Here to another 250 :thumbsup:

@Ed Selley - as requested I just went and listened to the previews of the Weezer Teal album on iTunes. It reminded me of the "Top Of The Pops" albums that Woolworths used to sell in the days before "Now That's What I Call Music" decided that people might actually want the original artists version.

Regarding mid-range TVs, there are also people like me who do care about AV quality yet are financially compromised. We can't all afford 65" OLEDs. And the market we are in is a bit trickier because of compromises we have to make. I recently bought an LG49SK8500 which is a TV that would horrify the dark-room viewing OLED crowd. However my use and financial situation it's a fabulous TV - for dim(ish) and daylight viewing it's a very bright HDR capable TV and excellent for gaming.

Onto snake oil and the like. Folks can spend whatever they like for features and looks, I've no beef with them, as long as they realise that £100 will get you a DAC that will sound as good as absolutely any other, £200 will get you an amp with a distortion level as good as anything else. By all means spend more on bells and whistles, but the idea that you need to spend £500 to get a transparent DAC is nonsense, they cost pennies these days. Also, bell wire works great for speakers. And all masters being equal (which obviously is quite a factor) anything over 16bit/44Hz is unscientific nonsense for listening.

Just to clarify, it's 250 episodes of the weekly podcast we started a few years back. The podcast has actually been running in one form or another for 497 episodes since 2006. So, if we remember we can celebrate 500 soon ;)

Can you make a suggestion on how to celebrate, please?

@Ed Selley - as requested I just went and listened to the previews of the Weezer Teal album on iTunes. It reminded me of the "Top Of The Pops" albums that Woolworths used to sell in the days before "Now That's What I Call Music" decided that people might actually want the original artists version.

I'm going to suggest this as the quote sticker to go on the front of the CD. It'll fly off the shelves.

I'm going to suggest this as the quote sticker to go on the front of the CD. It'll fly off the shelves.
For me, I just ended up wondering what the artistic "point" of it was - it's not bad, it just doesn't do anything interesting with the material (and there are some cracking songs there, obviously). I generally feel that if you're going to do covers, particularly of really well-known stuff, then make them suitable different (e.g. Cake's version of I Will Survive, or Marilyn Manson's Tainted Love).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom