AVForums Podcast: Episode 250 - 28th January 2019

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 28, 2019.

1. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +528
      @ed_selly thanks it was who I was thinking of and yes fab!

2. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +376
      I had very low expectations for DC Titans, having tried watching DC series content on Sky and Amazon. Also Netflix Marvel is incredible and raised the bar soooooo high.

I was very impressed with Titans. Marvel has some potential competition.

3. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +638
      Thanks for another enjoyable edition gents, you have come a long way since that first edition hosted by Jason Bradbury and which featured a budding film critic called Phil Hinton.

Agree about the need for reviewing suitable TVs above the £500 mark and the reasons outlined. How else will potential new customers be introduced to the wonders of DV, HDR 10+ etc?

Re the snake oil debate and some of the outlandish claims made by manufacturers/dealers, is it not time for Trading Standards to investigate some very deceptive/dubious marketing? I won't name them here, but we could all nominate a couple from the posts in Ed's article.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    4. boabis

boabis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +180
      Great show as always.

I would like to see a rundown/group-test of cheaper TVs, or a “What does £xxx get you?” article. For me, I’m limited by screen size, 50” or above being too big for my living room (for now ;)). When you look at smaller sizes you don’t have the choice of top-spec models with FALD or OLED, so it would be good to know how mid-range models stack up.

Snake oil is a delicate topic as it does bring out the red-faced rage monster :mad: in me when I see the outrageous comedy prices charged for some of it. As Ed hinted at, the only reason to spend a little more than pocket change on wiring up a system is for the durability of the cables, and for ease of connection. I have spent about 30-40 quid on decent quality shrouded banana plugs for my 5.1 system, not for sound quality, but so I can move my speakers to hoover behind them, without having to unscrew binding posts and remove fraying bare wire every time :thumbsup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +376
      -

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    6. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,621
      With a certain Jason Bradbury! With our Phil heading up the film review section. LOTR if I remember correctly?

@Ed Selley What was the TV series you said that was on Hulu? I dont think you mentioned it be name. Steve then said something about it on Amazon?

7. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +376
      E2458ED0-3681-414C-AAC6-6F7FD5E8DF21.jpeg this episode is not showing up on TuneIn.

All previous episodes are available. See above screen shot.

8. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +566
      If i recall correctly trading Standards went after one specific claim made by Russ Andrews for one particular product - and won. RA said that their methodology was flawed and unfair. Not sure what happened after that, if anything.

I have nothing personally against RA, BTW and have some of their "cheap" cables.

MB

9. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +278
      @ed_selley went straight onto deezer and downloaded weezer teal album. I'm in the same boat and can't decide if it is sublime or ridiculous. Each time I listen to another track I change my mind. Apart from No Scrubs as that is just simply sublime :D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    10. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +638
      Listened to the Weezer album on Spotify and must admit I only prefer cover versions when I hear them live and with a pint in my hand :beer:.

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,916
      Have to agree and it strikes me that it is similar to those compilation albums you used to get late 70's and early 80's before the NOW albums became a reality, where they were poor covers of hit songs in the charts at the time. I like the concept, but feel the execution is not quite good enough.

12. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +376
      Let me explain TuneIn since there may not be an understanding here.

TuneIn is a popular way to receive podcasts and internet radio.

On many hi-fi gear such as Bose Soundbars it is available in the software.

So hopefully after this some one from AVFORUMS can comment on the missing episode just as Phil did in response to others highlighting an issue with Apple Podcasts.

13. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +566
      Thought i would do a spot of research and, in the interests of fairness, post this article confirming RA were cleared in this case

Russ Andrews wins ASA case and is cleared of misleading consumers

MB

14. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,916
      We publish an XML RSS everytime a podcast is published and it is this that services like iTunes and others use to pull in the latest episode. I have no idea why it is working on some services and not others. I have run our XML through a checker and there are no errors, so I'm not sure why some people are having issues. You could try unsubscribing and then resubscribe to your service and that may solve whatever issue there may be.

15. Eddy555

Eddy555
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,698
      @Phil Hinton Any thoughts on publishing the podcast to Spotify?

16. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,916
      Request has been made, but no reply from them.

17. ch1z

ch1z

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +129
      Another classic in the WTF is going on?, but great all the same. Really loved the Snake Oil piece. I would be interested in some of the more mid range TV's to be reviewed and here's why. I feel the top end tv's have so little differences between them it is interesting to have a reviewers opinion on the more budget end of the market. As Steve pointed out there are some really cracking TV's out there but it can be a bit hit and miss. I doubt anyone is expecting all the bells and whistles on these TV's but maybe now and again a comparison between 3 Tv's as a similar price could be useful.
      Happy 250 podcast and great that it slipped by relatively unnoticed as it's in keeping with dare I say it the tradition of the podcast which is more loose women mixed with technical insight and the constant disappointment at the Star Wars movies and the promotion of Netflix. Keep up the good work.

18. richardsim7

richardsim7
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,304
      @Steve Withers I wouldn't hold your breath about First Man, unfortunately the bass has been quite neutered in its home release

[​IMG]

19. richardsim7

richardsim7
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,304
      @Ed Selley I've rather enjoyed your recommendations, so I thought I'd give back. Check out a guy called Marc Rebillet on YouTube, he's been blowing up on the internet recently, and for good reason, the guy is a genius. His music is so funky and catchy:

OSCAR AWARD SUES FOR UNWANTED HANDLING

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    20. Eddy555

Eddy555
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,698
      Rebillet is awesome. So much so it's inspired me to buy a Boss RC-505 looper to mess about with. Should arrive today. :clap:
      He has an album on Spotify, but it's really worth watching his videos to see him put the songs together. Really very talented. He's also currently touring the UK.
      And he's also in this infamous video from back in the day
      Last years iPhone Release Some Lady gets burned

21. richardsim7

richardsim7
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,304
      Indeed, was gutted to discover him, find out he's playing locally the next day, and obviously all the tickets were sold out :(

22. Dave5323

Dave5323

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
      Regarding reviewing TV I would be interested in the occasional review of smaller size 42"- 43"
      Always enjoy listening to your podcast

23. Countjedi

Countjedi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +96
      Great pod cast and I really enjoy listening to it on my way to work, thank you.

Budget TV's I think this is a good idea but rather than a regular thing it could be an 3 month update on the best of the best TV's are available and out there for the money, just a thought.

A question is in regards to the Fiat Panda 0-30mph being that fastest car for 5 years. I have looked on the internet and cannot find anything on this I only ask due to a chap I work with is a petrol head ie he spends more time on his car than anything and I mentioned it and I got "raised eye brows", is it true?

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    24. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,048
      Many thanks gents; Ed - I'll check out that Weezer Teal Album immediately.

Regarding films / discs of the month. I agree with Waterworld; such a phenomenal effort from Arrow - especially for bringing the much sought after uncut-extended cut into the land of 1080p.

But... but...! I want to wave the flag for an absolute powerhouse of a film released which had a limited theatrical run earlier this month and has been released just this week on Blu-Ray.

Please gents - may I urge you to watch One Cut of the Dead (released by Third Window films). Also (and this is important) - avoid all reviews and if possible, the trailer. Just when you think you've seen every incarnation of the Zombie genre - you get something like this. It's the most original horror-comedy I've ever seen and I know it's only January, I'll be surprised if it isn't in my top 10 or top 3 of this year.

But I can't emphasise it enough to watch it blind; as many reviews reveal a spoiler relatively early on in the film. It's only a smidge over 90 mins so easy mid-week viewing. And it has a score of 8.0/10 on imdb (make of that what you will).

The blu-ray is on limited release, which is why I'd recommend buying now (the DVD is not limited). So once it's gone, it's gone!

I predict (spoilered as to not influence you), that you guys would grade the film as follows:

Phil:
      7.5/10
      Steve:
      8/10
      Cas:
      9/10
      Ed:
      8/10

Mr Botwright (no point in spoilering this): 10/10 (it's his type of movie). Also get well soon Mr Botwright.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    25. steve a

steve a

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +127
      Thanks for a great podcast as usual, highly amusing and always a pleasure to listen to your knowledge and banter.
      I am also interested in any reviews you may undertake on budget televisions.

26. mrmrh

mrmrh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +85
      I’d be keen of reviews of cheaper TVs, maybe a 3 or 6 monthly lower range shootout, one from each manufacturer below a certain price point with previous years models eligible.

In regards to movie reviews- any chance of “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” it’s from the guys who did the Lego movie Lord and Miller (among others) who not happy with creating arguably the best Batman movie have gone on to great the best Spider-Man movie too ... I’ve heard great things about it and really enjoyed the half I got to watch before my son needed to leave.

27. welshrobbo

welshrobbo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      I think the budget end TV Reviews would be very helpful. Although many on here may not use those as their main TV its good to know that you are picking up a bargain for a second/kids room. For example if there is a 55" TV around the £500 mark like the electriq model then the Smart TV might be truly awful but the picture more than acceptable. In that case as long as you have a firestick or a ROKU then the problem is fixed.

One of the common questions I see on various forums about budget TV's is "Can anyone find a review for this TV?". I love what you do and if you decide to not do it then so be it but I think that even if you could give a basic rating it would be a huge help for many.

28. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103
      Please get Cas to do the competitions more often. 'theres some punishment coming to you' - brilliant :rotfl:
      Also I really think you should swap jobs for a week. Can't wait to hear that podcast :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List