00:00:30 – Nasal rinses, Christmas crackers, reviewing TVs, and toasters
00:11:14 – Current Competitions
00:13:13 – Products of the year
00:59:04 – Albums of the year
01:06:42 – Films of the year
01:10:02 – Discs of the year
01:13:54 – Games of the year
01:16:00 – Steve reviews Mortal Engines and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
01:20:36 – Films opening over Christmas – Mary Poppins Returns, Bumblebee, and Holmes & Watson
01:23:23 – Upcoming disc releases – BlackkKlansman, The Spy who Dumped Me, Mechanic: Resurrection, Threads, and Black Mirror Season 4
01:25:17 – TV shows of the year
01:33:39 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:34:52 | File Size: 151mb | Direct Link

Not sure what to think of this episode... first time I got the quotes (In my defence I have two little girls so I have been forced to watch Mary Poppins over and over again) and I am deeply saddened by the Christmas pudding bashing

Thanks folks for both this week's edition and all the great stuff over the year. I will listen to this episode over the xmas period whilst sitting in the armchair and enjoying a large brandy.

Thanks for all the effort this year creating these informative and amusing podcasts.

Music recommendations noted - have had some great ones this year!

Christmas puds are lovely (when drowned in cream), we eat them throughout the year - kids love them.

With you on Fallout, great film, amazing stunts - the extra features are worth a watch, the effort the team go into to make this are unbelievable (especially the Halo jump).

Yet to watch Roma on Netflix, assuming it will be great.

I'd have been happy to continue listening to more of your ramblings, especially for a Christmas special :D

You are very wrong on Christmas puds, love them and had a delicious one the other night. Yeah I could eat them all year round, but it's nice to keep some things special for Christmas :)

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Still very intrigued by the "snake oil" topic that's incoming.

Owwwwa! I wanted snake oil!

Thanks for another great year of podcasts guys, it's been thoroughly enjoyable and has given me plenty of things to look out for and enjoy throughout the year. And plenty of warnings for things to avoid too. :eek: Lifesavers!

Away from AVF I'll be really glad to put this bloomin' awful year behind me and looking forward to new challenges and opportunities in 2019.

Thanks again, and have yourselves a ruddy good time! See you in the New Year :D

@ AVForums, Merry Christmas and thank you for all your efforts this year. Christmas pudding too heavy and stodgy, give me a decent savoury item any day.

WOW! I never knew AVForum podcast presenters were wimps, you need to man up and get that Christmas pud down yer. :)

Anyway thanks for all the podcasts this year, (Hopefully they will be just as entertaining next year) I always look forward to hearing them. (How about a show featuring all the bloopers that are edited out)

Have a good Christmas (Plenty of Christmas Pud covered in brandy & cream) and a happy new year.

Bill

Super podcast (never put a foot wrong all year in my view) and a great end to the year, looking forward to the snake oil discussion and of course next year.

Thanks

I’ve listened to every podcast this year in places as diverse as an NHS hospital bed to a sun lounger on a tropical beach, and have enjoyed every moment.

I’m probably going to replace our lounge telly in the January sales, and your expert opinions have guided my decision.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the AVF team and all my fellow listeners.

Nice end of year review guys, looking forward to your return in the new year. No mention of Aquaman Steve? Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that/

Many thanks Phil, Steve, Ed and Mark for the 2018 Podcasts and Reviews.

Both educational and entertaining at the same time. I look forward to the banter which is always in good taste.

Merry Christmas.

My films of thd year:
Avengers Infinity War, Ready Player One, Sicario 2.

Don't forget Cas!

Don't forget Cas!

Yes, sorry. Superb Reviews and intelligent input from Cas.
My favourite review is his recent one for Netflix ‘Roma’.

I wish someone in the AVFORUMS Team could edit a 2 hour Specail ‘Best of 2018 Banter cuts for Podcasts’. I like it when Steve made a coffee and had no idea how to respond to Phil’s question about Bluetooth.

Thanks to all the team for this podcast and for all the work this year.

Sadly, I've had very little time for any actual AV type activities and can't remember that last piece of kit I've bought, but these podcasts keep me up to speed.

By pure chance i'm also well informed about: hats, steam rollers, martial arts, soups, bike frames, heating options for annexes, mustangs and many many more....

Are you not entertained...?

Wish you all a good chrimbo break :thumbsup:

MB

Great podcast again, with you on the Christmas Pudding debate. Really interested in the snake oil feature (I once paid £20 for a CD cleaning gizmo that me and a friend were convinced made a clear difference, but we later conceded didn't in any way)

Looking forward to the CES coverage.

Have a great Christmas

@Ed Selley - would you mind linking to the £2,400 earphones you referenced in this podcast please? I tried searching in what I thought you said the brand were but I’m having no joy. Thanks!

Also, thanks to all of the podcast crew for a great year of content. This is now my joint favourite weekly podcast and makes my sometimes arduous work related car journeys all the more bearable.

@Ed Selley - would you mind linking to the £2,400 earphones you referenced in this podcast please? I tried searching in what I thought you said the brand were but I’m having no joy. Thanks!

Also, thanks to all of the podcast crew for a great year of content. This is now my joint favourite weekly podcast and makes my sometimes arduous work related car journeys all the more bearable.

I am guessing he refers to Audeze LCDi4. LCDi4 In-Ear Headphone by Audeze

I have listened to them several times at Headphones events, including Canjam London this year.

In Ear Monitors like these which have a fixed shape do not suit everyone. It depends on the compatibility seal based on your ear shape. Left and right are different.

Really better are those which create a mold for your ears fir perfect fit, however most of those available don’t have the superb resolving planar magnetic drivers of these LCDi4.

I prefer the sound from full size over ear open headphones such as Focal Clears = only £1,499. I got them for £1,250.

The HD800S which Ed mentioned are highly regarded over ear headphones, but too bright for many. Others love them and I prefer the closed back version HD820.

Highlight of the year, discovering the headphones used on the podcast had a volume control.

Thanks gents for another year of excellent podcasts! Hope you all have an excellent Xmas and New Year.

I heard talk during the podcast of Hisense OLED TV's not making it to Blightly, the Series X was released into the Australian TV marketplace this year. The Hisense has earnt decent reviews with reviewers adding a better user experience is found with LG, Panasonic and Sony TV's for for the same money. The VIDAA U 2.5 smart TV OS needs some work.

Given the competition, the 65" Series X has been discounted by 27% off the recommended retail price and the 55" is being sold at a 35% discount off the RRP.

This podcast got me through a crap journey in the car this week, thanks guys (who knew @Ed Selley was actually so funny?)

(Apart from Ed himself)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom