Reaction score
00:00:20 – Lost cards, the Christmas rush, hat making, and beanie's in bed
00:10:32 – RIP Nic Roeg and Bernardo Bertolucci
00:14:30 – Current Competitions
00:17:18 – Phil interviews Danny Tak from Philips
00:40:36 – Steve reviews the Marantz AV8805 AV processor
00:48:44 – Ed’s album, vinyl, and playlist of the month
00:57:58 – Films of the month
00:58:55 – Films opening this week – Sorry to Bother You, Tulip Fever, and The Old Man and the Gun 01:01:03 – Discs of the month
01:02:00 – Disc releases this week – Ant-Man and the Wasp, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Hotel Transylvania 3, Westworld Season 2, Fear the Walking Dead Season 4, The Big Lebowski, and The Lion King
01:07:20 – TV shows of the month
01:19:37 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:20:15 | File Size: 117mb | Direct Link

Great podcast as usual, and really interesting to here from Danny Tak. This kind of insider insight is very useful in understanding the technical decisions made by manufacturers for their products and something that I think AVF could be an ideal position to get more of if you can.

For info, NHK is broadcasting some content in 8K in Japan already. There's an 8K version of 2001: A Space Odyssey, see if you can get hold of that for testing :-D
NHK will broadcast 8K from December 1st - Newsshooter
Space Odyssey launches first 8K TV channel

I had no idea about the so called "live action" remake of "The Lion King" by Disney (but it's all cgi!!!) :confused: but I can't deny that from a technical view point it does looks quite amazing, and it's nice that James Earl Jones is still doing the voice of Mufasa. They are also remaking "Dumbo" but this one has actual humans in it so at least it can be called "live action" in the true sense of the word / description.

Now somewhat :offtopic: and a bit long-ish.... but.

Re: Thefts by moped. It's great that the police are knocking them off their chosen mode of transport. The only thing is if the mopeds themselves are stolen some poor bu**er has had their property damaged and it will also effect their insurance through no fault of their own therefore I feel sorry for them. But as far as the scrotes are concerned, and as Count Withers said, reverse back over them.... then imo go forwards again and over them of course, then stop rev up and smother them in either petrol or diesel fumes, er unless you have an electric vehicle.

Recently there have been a spate of attacks on London taxi drivers at the Lisson Grove Estate which is in the Lisson Green area of central London which is very near to Marylebone Station and close to Regents Park. These lowlifes (I refuse to say scumbags as I feel that scum has a purpose in life) say to the driver that they need ramps for a relative who is in a wheelchair, as the driver gets out to put the ramps in place (all London taxis are wheelchair accesible) they steal the drivers money and other valuables from the front. There has also been drivers who have had their (expensive) purpose built taxis damaged with projectiles. One driver who has the brand new hybrid taxi (the TXE-City) at £55.599 and this is with the government £7.500 grant, therefore £63ks worth and is the only taxi one can buy new at the moment, had £5ks worth of damage done to it as he escaped. I have now put a message up in my cab as to why I will not drop anyone in or very near to this estate.This advice was also given to drivers by the biggest licensed taxi organisation in the UK the LTDA (Licensed Taxi Drivers Association) which I belong to, and any complaint made by (unreasonable) customers to the licensing authority they will take care of, so have assured us not to worry. Be assured I won't be.

Now I couldn't believe this but I had one customer (aka a tw*t) after reading my note say to me that I would of course be breaking a hackney carriage regulation by refusing a customer to this area if it was under the legal acceptance limit from the point of where the fare was originally accepted. I stated that I was an honest man and I guessed that he would accept that as being a virtue, he agreed. So I then told him that I couldn't give a toss what he thinks and apart from anything else as he wasn't going there what's it got to do with him anyway. I also told "it" that I don't need to be educated on London hackney rules and regulations after being a London taxi driver of over 43 years. I then said that I have every legal right to refuse any fare regardless of the distance to protect myself and my property... so there. He left the taxi saying ok, ok I get your point.... what an a-hole. By the way an enjoyable poddy as usual guys looking forward to the next one. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Potential for a 49inch OLED, now that is interesting!

I actually enjoyed Ant Man & Wasp more than infinity war, which I found had too many characters as an occasional marvel viewer.

Thanks for another good listen, chaps

MB

Shame you didn’t put Philips to task regarding the ISF picture modes on the 55oled903 (Like you experienced with your demo set) as when switching the tv on the settings are all wrong. Having to constantly switch modes is a right pain especially after paying so much money on this flagship model.

excellent podcast as per usual great mix of info and humour and interesting to have the Philips guy in to talk about their TVs, the only issue for me was that i spent hours after thinking in a dutch accshent :D

Potential for a 49inch OLED, now that is interesting!
MB

This was excellent news. Once they get the yields right, and costs down, smaller screens should be forthcoming.

The first OLED display I ever saw was on a Kodak digital camera in about 2002, about 1.5 inches. That looked amazing then, so I’ve been waiting a long time for a sensible-sized OLED TV!

Looking forward to CES after listening to Danny's interview. Thanks for the podcast.

One film that is released this week at the cinema is Sony's Spider-man film. Spider-man: Into the Spider Verse. Although I'm not sure if it's previews only? I have tickets for this Thursday anyway.

Reviews for this have been overwhelmingly positive with many claiming it to be this year's best superhero comic book adaptation. Several tech journalists on my twitter feed (Steve May in particular) have been praising the animation quality and writing in particular. It's fair to say that the hype is big but I can't wait.

Looking forward to CES after listening to Danny's interview. Thanks for the podcast.

One film that is released this week at the cinema is Sony's Spider-man film. Spider-man: Into the Spider Verse. Although I'm not sure if it's previews only? I have tickets for this Thursday anyway.

Reviews for this have been overwhelmingly positive with many claiming it to be this year's best superhero comic book adaptation. Several tech journalists on my twitter feed (Steve May in particular) have been praising the animation quality and writing in particular. It's fair to say that the hype is big but I can't wait.
Those are previews, the film doesn't open until the 12th of December. I'm looking forward to this one, as you say the advanced word is good and I'd like to see Lord & Miller have the last laugh after getting sacked from Solo.

I might be confused, but was the reference to "the Phillips event", a separate event to CES ? I thought i heard late Jan mentioned ?

MB
Yes, a separate event from CES, held in Amsterdam around the 22nd of January.

Great podcast as always.

Only issue is I now picture Steve looking like this after the hat talk:
hqdefault.jpg

Great podcast as always gents (Steve - if I had any knitting skills to speak of I'd get straight on that pink noggin warmer for you).

The chat with the Phillips rep was very interesting - excited at the prospect of OLED prices coming down (they seem to be approaching more reasonable levels at sale this year), even more enticing is the likelihood of getting a 49 inch model.

Interesting that Phillips were a bit coy about Dolby Vision - might they become the first company to support both DV and HDR10+ on their sets? Speculate, speculate...

Look forward to the eventual AVF coverage/reportage of CES in January.

Great podcast as always gents (Steve - if Interesting that Phillips were a bit coy about Dolby Vision - might they become the first company to support both DV and HDR10+ on their sets? Speculate, speculate...

Look forward to the eventual AVF coverage/reportage of CES in January.

Me too, yeah, I am wondering will they be joined by Panasonic, if they have a new HCX Pro processor they may have added DV support (I am assuming they used the same SoC (or tweaked one for 2018) over the last 2 years and said from the start of 2017, DV would never be supported with their SoC, but we will keep an open mind...). Speculate, speculate... :)

Thanks gents and especially for the Danny Tak interview. Whilst I'm not interested in a Philip's OLED, his comments about the technology and the industry were very interesting. Pricing and smaller screens would introduce OLED to the masses.
Also enjoyed the usual rambling at the start of the podcast which is more like a male version of Loose Women. Great stuff.

Guys.....Is there going to be a write up review of the Marantz AV8805 at all....?

Yes, it's all ready to go.

Thanks Steve. Look forward to reading it even though I recently bought one on impulse after hearing it. An avforums assured dealer offered it me for a cracking price......plus, I'm easily led astray when it comes to AV.......!!! :D

As a result of the podcast I watched 'Don't Look Now' yesterday evening. You guys were right that it has a shocking and slightly bonkers end!

Thank you for the Podcast.

There are only 5 HDR programs left on my Amazon Prime Service.
Suddenly top shows such as Homecoming, Golliath, American Gods, and many more have all vanished from Prime Video. They are only available in normal HD.

I talked to Amazon Services but unfortunately Customer Services did not understand what HDR is.

I checked on 2 x LG OLED’s and 2 x Apple TV4K devices.
If you look at 4K UHD, there are only 5 programs left.

Last edited:
Thank you for the Podcast.

There are only 5 HDR programs left on my Amazon Prime Service.
Suddenly top shows such as Homecoming, Golliath, American Gods, and many more have all vanished from Prime Video. They are only available in normal HD.

I talked to Amazon Services but unfortunately Customer Services did not understand what HDR is.

I checked on 2 x LG OLED’s and 2 x Apple TV4K devices.
If you look at 4K UHD, there are only 5 programs left.
Which HDR shows have you found? I add any I find to my watchlist from the outset to save hunting it down later.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom