AVForums Podcast: Episode 243 - 12th November 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:43 - No Podcast next week, Philips OLED Shoot-out event, Steve visits the Mary Rose and Ed wants a steamroller
00:10:18 - Current Competitions
00:12:00 - Phil reviews the ViewSonic PX747-4K and Sony VW570ES 4K Projectors
00:29:06 - Steve reviews the B&W 700 Series speakers
00:38:39 - Ed reviews the Wharfedale D320 speakers
00:45:19 - Steve reviews Overlord at the cinema
00:50:12 - Cinema releases this week
00:53:41 - Blu-ray releases this week
00:55:48 - 4K Blu-ray releases this week
01:00:18 - New TV series
01:08:34 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley and Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:09:06 | File Size: 101mb | Direct Link

brilliant podcast as always

really got into the Netflix Star Trek series but cant stand Orville, tried it a few times and it just grates on my nerves (I tried watching when the 1st series was new too) - starting to watch New Generation for the 1st time and really enjoying it (although Q really drives me bonkers).

also invested in a LG B8 (65") last week - on a really good deal so looking forward to having that delivered this week, so mark another success to all your chatter about LG's from the whole team in the last year or so.

Importing UHD's from the states is now making them more expensive than over here thanks to the change in how they are charging taxes now - majority of new releases are around £35 now even before p&p which is about £10 more than it used to be (from same supplier). Obviously going to be a few US releases as you mentioned that are delayed / not planned for Euro release , but then I buy 5- 6 at once to cover the cost of p&p

As always thank you for the podcast, nice to hear Seven Oaks Sponsoring this. Most of my kit has come from them over the years and I've found them to be very good. (To be clear I have no connection with the business, just a satisfied customer).

If you need the room heating up, just re-review that old Denon AVCA1-XVA after it's been playing heavy rock for several hours ! No need for any C/H !

Hope you guys are able to upload podcast with chapters info soon - very useful feature and this the only podcast in my feed without the info...

I agree with Steve about 'Overlord' being a guaranteed demo-worthy disc, it was my first thought watching the opening :p - which by the way, was like a mix between the intro to Unbroken + Edge of Tomorrow ;)

I had no idea what the movie was about when I saw it, all I saw was the poster and the short description on imdb, which funnily enough, seems to have changed now. It used to say: "The story of two American soldiers behind enemy lines on D Day."

It now says: "A small group of American soldiers find horror behind enemy lines on the eve of D-Day."

But yeah, I had no idea it had a horror element to it, so that was quite a surprise when the story veered off into "fictional" territory. But was very enjoyable, loved it. The gun sounds throughout were incredible :eek:

It's basically Wolfenstein: The Movie in all but name :D

:offtopic: Hmm a steamroller.... :lesson: if I can get the London taxi and PHV (private hire vehicles) licensing authority to pass one for the COF (conditions of fitness) then I can flatten all the PHV's on London's road including those who drive for the operator you know "U". :clap: Thanks Ed. :smashin: Oh nice poddy as usual by the way guys. :thumbsup: Hear from you in two weeks time.

Oh by the way Phil - you must have very steady hands - the LG magic remote is the biggest pain in the *** you can come across (but the B8 itself after a few hours of use is fabulous) - haven't seen any option method in accessability or elsewhere to use a more standard method of selection.

Oh by the way Phil - you must have very steady hands - the LG magic remote is the biggest pain in the *** you can come across (but the B8 itself after a few hours of use is fabulous) - haven't seen any option method in accessability or elsewhere to use a more standard method of selection.
Just push up/down/left/right

Agadoo doo doo push pineapple grind coffee
To the left to the right jump up and down and to the knees
Come and dance every night sing with a hula melody…

I did try that last night and it didn't appear to work at all
thinking about it, I wonder if remote has to be still for this method to work - ie someone like me with slightly shaky hands has to put it down and then use the arrow keys otherwise the OS thinks you are trying to use the "magic" way......

I did try that last night and it didn't appear to work at all
thinking about it, I wonder if remote has to be still for this method to work - ie someone like me with slightly shaky hands has to put it down and then use the arrow keys otherwise the OS thinks you are trying to use the "magic" way......

Just pressing the direction buttons and using the scroll wheel works for me. The remote can use a combination of both the navigation keys and its "Magic" remote abilities simultanrously. If your remote's navigation keys are not functioning then I'd suggest a faulty remote. The navigation keys don't move the cursor, but do select the various items. Maybe you are expecting the keys to control the cursor's location?

Last edited:
not exactly , but would expect the cursor to disappear and the "next" box/ choice to light up on the corresponding push of an arrow key - in normal operation the arrows appear to work (as I was thinking the same as you) but no selection seemed to be obvious after a few key presses of just the arrows

Scroll is definitely working used that several times ok - anyway will double check that tonight cheers for the confirmation / added detail

Dynasties doesn't seem to trigger HLG on my C8. Anyone else have any luck?

Dynasties doesn't seem to trigger HLG on my C8. Anyone else have any luck?
Just watched some of it on a ZF9 and it is in HLG. I have a C8 and Philips OLED903 here but it is not easy to set up at the moment due to other review items being used, but I'll try and test as soon as I can.

Old stuck in the mud 1080p watcher here. Is BBC 4K coverage still limited to stereo only (my understanding down to bandwidth?) as if you don’t watch it in 5.1 you are missing out as it puts you in the centre of the Chimp action and was very good (through our 7.1 system) in my humble?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom