AVForums Podcast: Episode 242 - 5th November 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:
00:00:22 - Phil survives man flu, Mark makes hats and Ed photographs an angry cat
00:11:47 - Competitions
00:12:55 - Phil reviews the Philips 803 and Sony AF9 OLED TVs
00:41:53 - Ed Explains why he thinks electronic music should get more respect
00:54:31 - Red Dead Redemption 2 review
01:03:49 - Cinema releases this week
01:07:26 - Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray releases this week
01:09:26 - What are our favourite movies about bands?
01:22:16 - We need a bombshell to finish on...

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:23:49 | File Size: 120mb | Direct Link

Regarding the film about the Rave scene @Phil Hinton , are you thinking of Human Traffic?
That's one of my all time favourites that perfectly captured a crazy year I spent going to Manchester clubbing. Shame it's only available on DVD, it really could do with an upscaled version of it.

Other films about musicians that come to mind include Searching For Sugarman is well worth a watch. Amy also gave a great insight into the life of Amy Winehouse and made me much more sympathetic to her.
There's another movie that I can think of, but can't remember the name at the moment. The chap died recently, but it was a really fascinating story (been a few years since I saw it though).

Last edited:
Regarding the film about the Rave scene @Phil Hinton , are you thinking of Human Traffic?
That's one of my all time favourites that perfectly captured a crazy year I spent going to Manchester clubbing. Shame it's only available on DVD, it really could do with an upscaled version of it.
That's the one! Would like to watch it again and see how badly it has aged.

What film list were you referring to?

Spinal Tap is superb, and in a similar vein I’d recommend Still Crazy.

Phil great indepth review on the Phillips & Sony Oled, very much looking forward reading your Sony review.
Interesting to read if the high Sony price tag is justified, compared to what's out there already especially after the firmware update Panasonic have just released.

The discussion about testing music reminded me of the day I went into a London hifi shop a short distance off Oxford Street. By coincidence I’d just been into HMV and bought some records.

I asked if I could get a demo of a certain record player, and the helpful assistant wired it up to a high end amp and a pair of speakers each about the size of a large fridge. Let’s have one of your records he asked.

An older beardy hifi buff positioned himself between the speakers keen to also hear the demo. As side 2 of The Eagles Hotel California started playing the classical sounding Wasted Time Reprise made the buff smile and nod. He wasn’t ready for the next track Victim Of Love, the start of which almost blew him backwards like Marty McFly in Back to the Future. He quickly left the shop, and I left with with the record player.

I certainly hope that all Sony TVs introduced from CES 2019 onwards will use the new Mediatek processor with enough memory installed. I don't have high hopes of my XE90 suddenly becoming a race horse with just the Android Oreo.

Philips should also update their platform to match Sony ASAP, as they seem to be using the same Mediatek SoCs anyway.

I might be very interested in a hypothetical stand-up-straight Sony AG8 OLED with X1 Ultimate.. However, I *am* a little worried that the always-on dynamic tone mapping will not be perfect and there will be the occasional annoying fluctuation in extended use. Also, the updated motion processing seems to be less tunable than before, which does not sound great.

@Phil Hinton did you experiment with the Sony AF9 as a center speaker? If so, how did you get on with it?

@Phil Hinton did you experiment with the Sony AF9 as a center speaker? If so, how did you get on with it?
Sadly I didn't have time to do that. I only have a multichannel audio set up in the cinema room and not in the TV testing room.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is the perfect antidote to some of the more “worthy” music biopics like Ray & Walk The Line.

I heard good things about “After The Screaming Stops” about the reunion of Bros after 28 years of barely speaking to each other, it played Fantastic Fest and a review I heard described it as almost a real life mockumentary.

Supersonic which follows the early years of Oasis is worth a watch.

Does anyone use Acast to listen to their podcasts? The latest episode still hasn't appeared on this app for me.

This week:
00:12:55 - Phil reviews the Philips 803 and Sony AF9 OLED TVs

Great podcast as usual chaps but Phil.........WTF is Hyper Bowl?????? :facepalm::eek::confused::clap:

Great podcast chaps.

I immediately went off and listened to Boards of Canada, Music has the Right to Children. I even said out loud in my car the track Ed was about to refer to, Telephasic Workshop just before did!

I would be quite interested to see a top 5 list (or top 50!) of Ed's 'go-to' reference electronic music. I quite enjoy any old reason to have a look through the collection. Thanks again.

The Great Rock n' Roll Swindle from 1980 and The Filth And The Fury from 2000. Both directed by Julien Temple.

It was nice to give my ears a rest from Steve W.'s vocal fry on this week's podcast.

Bring back the Withers I do miss him, but don't stop taking the pi$$ out of him, I think he secretly likes it!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom