AVForums Podcast: Episode 241 - 29th October 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:23 – Phil runs, Ed experiments, Mark strikes, and Steve YouTubes, before the team discuss the new hosts of Top Gear
00:15:26 – Current Competitions
00:17:05 – Steve reviews the Denon AVC-X6500H AV amplifier
00:27:58 – What is IMAX Enhanced?
00:41:19 – Ed’s album, vinyl release, and playlist of the month
00:49:21 – Phil and Steve review Bohemian Rhapsody
01:00:44 – Films of the month
01:01:15 – Films opening this week – Slaughterhouse Rulz and Peterloo
01:03:33 – Discs of the month
01:04:52 – Blu-ray releases this week – Sicario 2, Rebels Season 4, Candyman, The First Purge, The Expanse Season 2, Rushmore, The Fog, and They Live
01:05:44 – 4K Blu-ray releases this week – Sicario 2, The First Purge, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Matrix Trilogy, The Fog, and They Live
01:07:18 – TV shows of the month
01:15:18 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:16:03 | File Size: 109mb | Direct Link

Cheers Lads – another great pod.

Interesting comments over the last few pods on audio downsizing. I have thought about it as the speaker size does take away from the living room aesthetic (as it’s not a dedicated cinema room) and Steve’s review on the Samsung N950 sound-bar did intrigue me, but I would assume if you have half decent speakers, you would notice the audio loss more than the aesthetic improvement?

I was slightly disappointed after the few weeks’ worth of Rami hype that Rhapsody is scoring average reviews, glad to hear it’s still a great watch and that Rami deserves the hype. The trailer looks great (as does the trailer mix), especially the Live Aid part (the first day of the shoot I believe).

Thanks Mark for the Snowfall series 2 shout out, didn’t know they had made a second series – really enjoyed the first so that’s me sorted once I finish S2 Ozark.

Another great Podcast, always look forward to them.

Regarding AV processors a new AV processor is on the way from Emotiva, which will have 16 channels at a price that will undercut anything to date as well as being totally upgradable for any new features that come out. (Naturally all inputs/outputs are fully assignable as well as including Dirac)

RMC-1

Emotiva products are available in the UK, so should be interesting to see the price when it comes over here.

Bill

Another great Podcast, always look forward to them.

Regarding AV processors a new AV processor is on the way from Emotiva, which will have 16 channels at a price that will undercut anything to date as well as being totally upgradable for any new features that come out. (Naturally all inputs/outputs are fully assignable as well as including Dirac)

RMC-1

Emotiva products are available in the UK, so should be interesting to see the price when it comes over here.

Bill
Yes, the Emotiva products look very interesting.

Excellent podcast as always.

A question I have is a good while back you said you would do some articles on the site on Home Automation. Is that going to happen anytime soon?

I’m interested in various aspects and would like to read what you make of it. Most interested in various home automation hubs/server software and the like as well as how they interact with modules for existing lights (hue and Alexa are well known to most, I’m more interested in going deeper with a retroactive kit-out as the house has 80+ GU10 downlighters and it’d be much easier/cheaper to upgrade at the switches themselves).

Ant-Man and the Wasp not make the cut for Disc of the month Steve?

Thanks gents for this week's edition and the various recommendations.
Good luck with the training Phil. Look forward to seeing you recording some actual activities on Strava - a great training tool.
IMAX enhanced - thanks but no thanks.
My recommendations include The Little Drummer Girl which has just started on BBC. It's John le Carré so do I need to say more? House of Saud which also starts this week on BBC should also be interesting especially in view of recent events in Turkey.
Can you suggest any specific motoring shows on YouTube?

Hi guys enjoyable poddy as usual.... "IMAX" enhanced.... hmm pass. Even "THX" is not what it used to be now, in fact it's hardly applied to the majority of av amps / recievers nowadays and although I have it (THX) on my "Denon AVCA11XV(A) that only works on BD lossless sound anyway.

Sometime next year i'm hoping to go for the AVC-X8500H for the latest surround codecs although, as you said, the "IMAX" enhanced will be available on this model whether you want it or not. My main concern though is the quality of the two channel reproduction. One of the reasons I purchased my 11XV was the high level of its stereo reproduction which was given very good reviews including one from "Hi-Fi News & Record Review who rarely review AV equipment, although they concentrated on its two channel abilities. By the way what do other AV forumites owners of this behemoth feel about that as well as your good selves especially Steve?

Regarding "Last Chance Lawyer NYC" which I find fascinating as well as very funny, is that Howard must be doing something right.... have you seen his home. :eek: Boy-o-boy you could have a hellova home cinema there. :love: I'm in the wrong job. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Car stuff I tend to watch on YouTube:
Goonzquad
Carfection
-with Henry and Alex the best presenters, sadly they just employed Rory, so probably watch less now
Motortrend
Head2Head
Ignition
Driven
House of Muscle
Roadkill
Seen Through Glass
Mr JWW
Greatest drag races ever

and I dip into the lesser known YouTubers now and again

Car stuff I tend to watch on YouTube:
Goonzquad
Carfection
-with Henry and Alex the best presenters, sadly they just employed Rory, so probably watch less now
Motortrend
Head2Head
Ignition
Driven
House of Muscle
Roadkill
Seen Through Glass
Mr JWW
Greatest drag races ever

and I dip into the lesser known YouTubers now and again

Can suggest the following:

Doug DeMuro
Hoovies Garage
Car Throttle
Petrolicious
Smith & Sniff
Harry’s Garage
Honest John
Regular Car Reviews

Been a couple of weeks since the Sony AF9 and Philips 803 reviews were teased on the podcast - since the Philips review is now up, could I dare to expect the AF9 review this week too?

Great podcast as always - love it on a Monday with my dog walk!
Variable aspect ratios - I really wish they wouldn't do this. My projector screen is a scope screen and I use lens memory to set correctly for each movie. Multiple aspects just drags me right out of the experience!

Great podcast (so far) still listening but I wanted to say thanks for the cool shout out about Cliff Young I was immediately intrigued and had a quick look at his story - what a man :)

Ok back on with the podcast....

@Phil Hinton Regarding your nostalgia for big old pre-power amplifiers and receivers, this combination should do the trick: Denon pre-amp and especially this one Denon power amp. Together they cost £13,700 in September 2010, review here. They, but especially the power amplifier, make my poor old Denon AVR-4810 receiver that I'm still using in the parlour look quite puny! :) In fact the power amplifier measures 434 x 297 x 530 mm and weighs 60kg!! You're right, they don't make them like that any more .....

Last edited:
Great podcast as always - love it on a Monday with my dog walk!
Variable aspect ratios - I really wish they wouldn't do this. My projector screen is a scope screen and I use lens memory to set correctly for each movie. Multiple aspects just drags me right out of the experience!
I quite understand if you have scope this must be annoying but I’ve really enjoyed the variable ratio films I’ve seen on “proper” Imax (Waterloo) and have no issues with the format on Blu Ray (Batman Dark Knight etc) as my pj isn’t scope?

I quite understand if you have scope this must be annoying but I’ve really enjoyed the variable ratio films I’ve seen on “proper” Imax (Waterloo) and have no issues with the format on Blu Ray (Batman Dark Knight etc) as my pj isn’t scope?
Yes I can totally understand that. When I built the bat cave and made a screen I couldn't decide which way to go. My thoughts were as I watch mostly movies the majority being scope it made sense.

Can suggest the following:

Doug DeMuro
Hoovies Garage
Car Throttle
Petrolicious
Smith & Sniff
Harry’s Garage
Honest John
Regular Car Reviews
I find Harry’s Garage quote entertaining if a little long-winded and was brought up reading Honest John in the Saturday Telegraph, but was unaware it had moved to YT

@Ed Selley I was intrigued by your recommendation that “contagion” was one of the best original soundtracks of recent times (paraphrasing). But damn. You were SO right. A dangerous path, but I fully intend to listen more closely to your suggestions, even if they lead, inevitably, to the dark side.

Oh. And thanks sir, Contagion OST is a wonderful discovery. I love how the soundtrack at key moments IS the virus.

I know I am a long way behind the curve, but how can you copy a tidal playlist into soundiz without a Tidal account? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom