AVForums Podcast: Episode 236 - 10th September 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:36 - What have the team been doing since our last podcast?
00:08:36 - Competitions
00:09:34 - Samsung HW-N950 Atmos/DTS:X soundbar review
00:17:23 - Samsung Q8DN 4K HDR TV review
00:32:05 - Ed's thoughts on multifunction high-end AV and Hi-Fi
00:45:42 - Ed's best of the month? or perhaps not...
00:51:02 - Film of the month
00:51:41 - Films released this week
00:58:51 - Disc of the month
01:02:41 - Blu-ray and 4K discs released this week
01:08:03 - TV shows of the month
01:18:19 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Mark Botwright and Steve Withers

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:19:13 | File Size: 114mb | Direct Link

Great podcast everyone.

Does the new Samsung tv auto switch mode (so turns to game mode) work through an AVR or is it direct only ?
Hope this rolls across all manufacturers soon.

I was looking at UHD preorders too, Phil, Braveheart is finally getting a UK release in November and it’s not badly priced.

Jack Ryan has been great, my mrs loves the series too.
Looks and sounds great in DV/atmos, I hope Amazon start to provide more UK content in DV.

Primes Patriot is also a good watch, missed this initially, it’s a dark humoured modern espionage tale mainly shot in Prague. There will be a season 2, so S1 ending may slightly disappoint but beautifully shot and great soundtrack.

Last edited:
Another great podcast guys :)

With regard to what Ed was saying about hifi becoming more complicated and people moving back to boxes that are multi function, I was also thinking about this recently when considering if I should chop in my Naim seperates for one of the Unity range.

The one box solutions have a lot of appeal, and I'm sure wives and girlfriends like the idea of reducing the number of large black boxes sitting in the living room. The one thing that puts me off slightly is the unknowns of software. If you are buying one of these and a big part of the reason for that is streaming services like Tidal then what happens if or when that platform changes and the software in the device is no longer supported? or worse the company goes under. It's hard to know if in five years time it will still be doing exactly what it says on the tin.

I'm still siding towards a simple device but a one box is quite tempting and sound quality wise they sound great.

Good shout about the trend to all-in-one, which can really be traced to streaming music. When you had to have physical transports for your vinyl/CD/cassette/minidisc/DCC/DAT/Tefifon, then separates were the best way to have the best quality components at every stage.

Now we are all pulling Hi-Res music out of the ether, it’s just a tiny chipset which can easily be squeezed in to a small form factor case, leaving plenty of room for a decent D/A converter and amplification.

A set of Kef LS50 Wireless active speakers and a Chromecast Audio is probably a good enough system for 90% of people.

Good stuff as always guys.

@philhinton - you mention you're getting a Panasonic FZ802 Oled in for long-term testing. Would be very interested in your observations, I recently returned one due to stutter in 24p content (blu-ray and streaming) - identical to the issue that EZ users are experiencing.

Also for long term testing of TVs do you plan to check the calibration of them over the course of testing. I'd be interested to see how OLEDs and LCDs change over time/use.
Yes, that is the plan.

Good to have you all back this week, got me through my Monday commute as always :thumbsup:

No mention for Better Call Saul for TV of the month, sure atleast Steve (i think) had said before he was watching, this seasons been great and well worth checking out

I purchased "Sausage Party" used from "cex" recently and after viewing it I will be selling it straight back to them. Without sounding prude in anyway and having an idea of what it was all about which is with regards to food being sold and the consumables thinking it was a matter of nirvana to them and not to be eaten alive.... was absolute total foul mouthed cack. Food shagging and swearing everywhere!!! give me a break and I though it was going to be funny. Even in the "extras" you've got Seth Rogan laughing at the other voice artists saying rude words including the "c" word with his extremely annoying staccato type laugh... ugh. Anyway that's my informed opinion. :thumbsdow By the way nice poddy guys. :smashin:

Last edited:
Plus one for the forged in fire vote, love it.

Good to have you all back this week, got me through my Monday commute as always :thumbsup:

No mention for Better Call Saul for TV of the month, sure atleast Steve (i think) had said before he was watching, this seasons been great and well worth checking out
Agreed. This season is already shaping up to be the best yet.

Good to hear the full team back together again, albeit Steve went " walkabout " at one stage.

I have no problem with one box systems so long as quality is not compromised. I am definitely considering one for our study in the future where space will be a premium. My first music centre back in the day was such a beast, albeit they were slightly different all those years ago.

D21A80EE-4616-4742-93FF-65024D1CEDAC.jpeg
Excellent Podcast. My favourite part was when Steve came back from making the coffee and the banter which followed.

I am a Predator movie fan.

Just purchased the 3 Predator Movie bundle which is HDR10 and 4K, for only £12.99 on iTunes. Bargain.

this podcast got me hooked on Forged in Fire....or as I call it Bake Off with Knives'
Is there a test where by you need to cut Paul Hollywood in half with as few strokes as possible?

Happy to see Amazon adopting DOLBY VISION here in the UK with that new Tom Clancy TV show. This plays in DOLBYVISION on my LG OLED.

However on Apple TV 4k it plays in HDR 10. So perhaps others devices and TV’s require an update?

On another point, there are only 27 shows I counted on Amazon in HDR format. Considering you can video in HDR Format on all the flagship mobile phones why are filmmakers so slow to progress.

So guys... when is the Sony ZF9 or AF9 review coming? Really interested in hearing your views on the new chipset and the usability of Android TV with it.

yeah, so I also got hooked on goonzquad too, no idea why...just makes compelling viewing even if you only have a passing interest in cars or like me no real interest at all.

I did also like watching Wheelerdealers though.

There was a brief mention of blutooth ie how it used to be rubbish in a hifi context and not so anymore. Does this mean that BT earphones are actually worth looking at now? I must admit to being sniffy about them, despite only using them on an iphone for compressed music and (of course) fantastic podcasts !

Thanks

MB

real world bandwidth has always been the issue, max achievable for BT4XX didnt allow anything like lossless qualilty, if you are buying any new phones you'll need to make sure they are APTX-HD

aptX - Wikipedia

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom