Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:20 – Brokeback Mountain, Bicycle Painting, Rebels and Bullitt
00:13:27 – Current Competitions
00:14:24 – Ed reviews the Arcam SA20 integrated amplifier
00:20:13 – Steve’s thoughts on the REL HT/1003 subwoofer
00:33:27 – Mark reviews Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
00:37:18 – Films opening this week – The Festival, Christopher Robin, and The Equaliser 2
00:41:38 – Disc releases this week – A Quiet Place and Tideland
00:43:36 – Upcoming 4K disc releases
00:49:16 – Patrick Stewart to return as Jean Luc Picard in new Star Trek series
00:52:55 – The team choose their favourite aquatic thrillers
01:08:48 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:09:28 | File Size: 100mb | Direct Link

Great fun as always gents, particularly the aquatic movie chat. Criminal to miss out Finding Nemo and/or the Little Mermaid.

REL have always been the go-to recommendation for subwoofers, glad they’re getting themselves on the map again. I remember reading a review of their Stentor model where it said “unless you live 50 yards from a neighbouring property, installing this subwoofer could be deemed somewhat anti-social”. There can be no higher praise.

On a technical note, this episode doesn’t seem to dropping in to Apple Podcasts or Downcast. Listened through YouTube instead.

Latest edition isn't available in the Apple podcast app yet...?

Unsubscribing, and re-subscribing hasn't fixed it. Latest episode is listed as 6th August 2018.

I've just checked it - everything appears to be fine and the xml is error free. Can you try again and report back?

Last edited:
Phil, just refreshed and now its appeared in the iOS podcast app. Wasn't there 2 mins ago, so whatever you did fixed it. Thanks!

@Steve Withers I really like the description of the REL HT (NOT 80!) 1003 subwoofer, Mr Withers! It sounds ideal if I were looking for a smaller subwoofer (which I'm not, not for myself anyway). I'm assuming that it is front -firing, rather than downward, and that it is sealed rather than ported? Any idea of how this would compare with the performances of the SVS SB1000 and PB1000 subwoofers, both of which are £519, for instance at The Movie Rooms? Although I suppose that the PB1000 would be physically larger than the REL HT1003.

By the way, in the discussion of The Equalizer, you mentioned that Denzel Washington was younger than Edward Woodward had been when he did the original role. I'm not sure how old Edward Woodward had been, but Denzel Washington was born on 28th December 1954, so he's now 63!

@Steve Withers I really like the description of the REL HT (NOT 80!) 1003 subwoofer, Mr Withers! It sounds ideal if I were looking for a smaller subwoofer (which I'm not, not for myself anyway). I'm assuming that it is front -firing, rather than downward, and that it is sealed rather than ported? Any idea of how this would compare with the performances of the SVS SB1000 and PB1000 subwoofers, both of which are £519, for instance at The Movie Rooms? Although I suppose that the PB1000 would be physically larger than the REL HT1003.

By the way, in the discussion of The Equalizer, you mentioned that Denzel Washington was younger than Edward Woodward had been when he did the original role. I'm not sure how old Edward Woodward had been, but Denzel Washington was born on 28th December 1954, so he's now 63!
Blimey I had no idea Denzel was that old, he's ageing well.

Yes the HT/1003 is forward-firing and sealed. I have reviewed the PB-1000 and SB-2000, but both those reviews were a few years ago. However from memory I'd say the SVS subs had a bit more brute force, but the REL is a bit more nimble and responsive.

Regarding Picard: So Very Tired

Attachments

• FB82DBA0-A489-4C65-A62F-9C4744754595.jpeg
    FB82DBA0-A489-4C65-A62F-9C4744754595.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 132
Great show like always, Thinking of WW2 I watched Private Ryan in 4k yesterday and for the first time since the cinema. Must admit had a tear in my eye at the beach landing....

Great podcast gents. Steve's comments about his dad weeping (and subsequent fallout) had me in stitches.

I can vouch for the Teen Titans Go movie and think that Mark may have undersold it! As mentioned, it exhibits the same self-awareness and (surprising for a DC title) mockery of superhero tropes that made films like Deadpool so brilliant. Moreover, it has near Ready Player One levels of references, that (as alluded to by Mark) went over the heads of the kids in the audience. I'd say that the majority of laughs came from adults. If you do go (and you should!) - then stay for the mid and post-credits scene.

In an era when DC has gone so far up its own backside with their extended universe, they pull out a gem like this. Take a bow DC!

top podders as per usual,

I think Pacific Rim (the 1st one) is my favourite sea based movie of recent times

How did no-one mention the Poseidon Adventure during the aquatic movie discussion?!?
I'm pretty sure I did mention The Poseidon Adventure, but the less said about Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (which I actually saw at the cinema) the better.

This podcast is quite educational outside of the obvious AV content.

I had no idea that men generally became more weepy in their 40's, but i can certainly admit to it. The final ep of the doc "The Vietnam War" caught me out. The surviving vets talking about the war memorial (and the context of the final episode) had me crying into my pork pie that night.

I also really like the AV banter :D

Thanks again folks.

MB

Thanks for the podcast as always, as I listen whilst driving I never remember the “album of the week” recommendation. Is there a thread or list somewhere compiling the historic ones please?

Ed mentioned in this or a recent previous podcast he would be doing a comparison on HIFI Quality Streaming services. Has this article been published yet as I cannot find it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom