AVForums Podcast: Episode 231 - 30th July 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:32 - What have the guys been up to this week?
00:04:16 - Competitions
00:05:07 - Are Samsung going to release a MicroLED TV in 2019?
00:15:29 - Amazon add Dolby Atmos to Prime Video
00:22:19 - Upcoming reviews in August
00:37:18 - Movie of the month
00:37:57 - Mission:Impossible - Fallout review
00:47:22 - Ant man and the Wasp released this week
00:50:02 - 4K Blu-ray of the month
00:52:55 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
00:55:28 - 4K Blu-ray announcements and news
00:57:51 - Clone Wars is back and SDCC update
01:04:16 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:04:54 | File Size: 94mb | Direct Link

Great fun today, even if it was just the Two Ronnies :D

Looking forward to seeing Samsung’s new display tech come to market, even if it as a few years away from being mass-market. We were saying the same about OLED not that long ago.

What’s the betting Samsung launch it as micrOLED?

At 35:22 minutes Mr Withers says: "I've got the REL80 1003, which is a £499 subwoofer. People are complaining that I've looked at really expensive subs recently so I thought I'd get something a bit more affordable in. And also, I've got to say, I'm very relieved to say, a lot smaller and easier to move!"

You'll never hear me complaining about reviewing expensive or big subwoofers, even though I myself can accommodate only the space-saving SVS cylinder models ........

My first proper separate subwoofer was not a REL, but my now-retired Tannoy TS10, see here Tannoy TS10.

Well done to Messrs Hinton and Withers for making it through to the end, despite having the manpower of only two-thirds of Genesis's final makeup (was that their final lineup .....?). And well done to the 56-year-old Tom Cruise for continuing to do all his own stunts!

By the way, I didn't realise that in A Quiet Place, the writer, director and actor John Krasinski, who plays Lee Abbott, the husband of Evelyn Abbott (played by Emily Blunt) is Emily Blunt's real-life husband! See clip of them from Graham Norton here. The film sounds intriguing.

At 35:22 minutes Mr Withers says: "I've got the REL80 1003, which is a £499 subwoofer. People are complaining that I've looked at really expensive subs recently so I thought I'd get something a bit more affordable in. And also, I've got to say, I'm very relieved to say, a lot smaller and easier to move!"

You'll never hear me complaining about reviewing expensive or big subwoofers, even though I myself can accommodate only the space-saving SVS cylinder models ........

My first proper separate subwoofer was not a REL, but my now-retired Tannoy TS10, see here Tannoy TS10.

Well done to Messrs Hinton and Withers for making it through to the end, despite having the manpower of only two-thirds of Genesis's final makeup (was that their final lineup .....?). And well done to the 56-year-old Tom Cruise for continuing to do all his own stunts!

By the way, I didn't realise that in A Quiet Place, the writer, director and actor John Krasinski, who plays Lee Abbott, the husband of Evelyn Abbott (played by Emily Blunt) is Emily Blunt's real-life husband! See clip of them from Graham Norton here. The film sounds intriguing.
Yes he is Emily Blunt's husband, lucky blighter!

Just to clarify, I've got the REL HT 1003 in for review.

I listened to the clip in the broadcast seven times, and I still thought that "REL HT" was "REL 80" .....

Last edited:
Not sure the MI6 movie deserves all the critical fuss it's getting and the box office isn't great.

I thought it was very average, nothing I hadn't seen in Bond or Bourne or other action movies before and many scenes looked like direct copies

The twists were obvious to anyone with half a brain, felt like I'd seen it all before tbh.

Tom Cruise is looking Puffy faced and fat, hence no shirtless scenes and Simon Pegg frankly looked ill!

Henry Cavill was good, but everyone else pretty much phoned in their parts,

Tom Cruise is just so Tom Cruisey at times it gets annoying though he can obviously carry a movie

I've watched the others more than once can't say I'd watch this again

BRING ON THE MEG!

Thanks again lads.

Been wanting to see a Quiet Place for some time, your Atmos comments have increased my interest. Loved how the audio was used in Annihilation, especially that certain quiet scene with the animal whaling. A Quiet Place sounds like the audio can really add to the tension.

Miffed I missed part 1 of the Trump doc - The Fourth Estate , I see iPlayer still have parts 2-4 for a short while. Hopefully parts 2-4 are as good as the opener.

Not sure the MI6 movie deserves all the critical fuss it's getting and the box office isn't great.

I thought it was very average, nothing I hadn't seen in Bond or Bourne or other action movies before and many scenes looked like direct copies

The twists were obvious to anyone with half a brain, felt like I'd seen it all before tbh.

Tom Cruise is looking Puffy faced and fat, hence no shirtless scenes and Simon Pegg frankly looked ill!

Henry Cavill was good, but everyone else pretty much phoned in their parts,

Tom Cruise is just so Tom Cruisey at times it gets annoying though he can obviously carry a movie

I've watched the others more than once can't say I'd watch this again

BRING ON THE MEG!

Come on mate, I'm a 42 year old fit runner and I find it hard to keep the mid life belly fat off, at Toms age i think he’s pretty impressive.
I thought it was great, has it not surpassed MI2 in box office?

Come on mate, I'm a 42 year old fit runner and I find it hard to keep the mid life belly fat off, at Toms age i think he’s pretty impressive.
I'm 54 and the same weight I was at 19, with a 29/30 inch waist....the guy is a movie star with every advantage to help him.....sly is still rocking it in his 60s!

I'm 54 and the same weight I was at 19, with a 29/30 inch waist....the guy is a movie star with every advantage to help him.....sly is still rocking it in his 60s!

Right, I need some tips then ;)

I’ll admit Sly bar his facial work is looking decent.

Right, I need some tips then ;)

I’ll admit Sly bar his facial work is looking decent.

80% of it is managing your intake of food all the time and staying in an overall calorie balance to maintain your weight. Plus of course exercise to maintain muscle mass and cardiovascular health.
As peeps age they get lazy, train less eat more, plus your metabolism slows down a bit....hence middle-aged spread

If you want to lose weight you have to get into a caloric deficit either by eating less or moving more......preferably both

Its not easy with so much access to food and comfy lifestyles

Yeah, after its weekend release internationally, Box Office Mojo has it projected to take $700 million, so it's doing very well.

The Fourth Estate was a great doc, just wish there were more episodes!

Steve mentioned that there was no competition live, but if you are very quick, then the Hughes competition is still live until midnight tonight!

Its a big one too.... with a chance to win a Samsung QE55Q6FAM QLED which retails at £879

Win a Samsung TV! | AVForums

Great podcast,thanks Steve and Phil. It's great to listen to the podcast in one sitting lying on a bed near the pool in sunny Lanzarote rather than 3 or 4 sittings at bedtime because I get up at 4am usually.
I am a Tom Cruise fan and I am looking forward to watching this film next week, he is a brave man doing most of his own movie stunts.
My first and only sub (still have and use) is a Paradigm pdr10. My 12 year old Sony 5.1 amp has recently died, so that is my next AV purchase.

Have you guys heard of the Hisense mini led with 5300 zones that was shown in early July I think ?

Thanks gents for another interesting podcast. Hope you are paid overtime covering for the others.
Good to hear your thoughts on the latest MI film and now on my watch list.
Any thoughts on the long-term strategy of Disney etc in relation to Dolby Atmos and DV being available on disc and streaming services? Are they trying to steer consumers towards the later with the best audio and picture?

Possible solution to the Disney Low-level soundtracks/Dolby Vision issues. Find out the name of the person calling the shots with their home video strategies and check their Twitter feed. If they have any off dodgy jokes, they can be fired.

It happened to James Gunn and he made hundreds of millions for Disney.

So this week instead of a highsome fivesome, or an awesome foursome, or the gleesome threesome we have been reduced to, dare I say, the gruesome twosome. I can live with that.... nice poddy guys... love from LT. The single winkle.... :love: ;)

By the way I still use my (as new) rosewood finished REL Storm 111 which was my second sub after a Yamaha of which I can't remember the model number except the front matched my main floor standers, a pair of KEF 104.2's which are still going strong. :thumbsup:

I hope Phil didn't pay the current price at Amazon for A Quiet Place 4k UHD (£31.62) when he could have got it from Zoom for £18 with code!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom