AVForums Podcast: Episode 229 - 16th July 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week
00:01:06 - What have the team done this week?
00:11:20 - Competitions
00:11:54 - Our final thoughts on the BBC 4K HLG tests with Wimbledon and the World Cup 2018 00:24:56 - Ed reviews the Monitor Audio Monitor 50 Speakers
00:35:02 - Cas reviews Mission Impossible - Fallout
00:44:41 - Phil reviews Skyscaper
00:51:31 - This week's cinema releases
00:54:19 - This week's 4K and Blu-ray releases
00:56:16 - Phil confesses to having never seen... Bullitt (1968)
01:06:50 - Mark praises public transport and Goodbyes Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Mark Botwright and Ed Selley

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Sponsor link: Lifestyle | BOTB

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:08:18 | File Size: 93mb | Direct Link

Last edited:
The Monitor Audios sound like a bargain.

I’d love a group test/guide for people looking to step up to “proper” home cinema, the first step up from soundbars and own-brand HTIB kits. What does £500 get you in terms of a budget AVR and speakers?

Pretty sure Ed's reviewed the Monitor Audio MONITOR 50's rather than the Monitor Audio Studio (of which there is no '50')...being picky I know, sorry! But there's quite a price difference between the two!

Pretty sure Ed's reviewed the Monitor Audio MONITOR 50's rather than the Monitor Audio Studio (of which there is no '50')...being picky I know, sorry! But there's quite a price difference between the two!
You're correct, I have changed the text, many thanks.

Sorry Lads this was a boring podcast, i hate sport and cars which have nothing to do with AV. Yes you were discussing HLG within sport but the podcast need to be shortened 30-40mins seem to be getting longer. Probably a quiet time for movies,hardware but just stick to AV.

Sorry Lads this was a boring podcast, i hate sport and cars which have nothing to do with AV. Yes you were discussing HLG within sport but the podcast need to be shortened 30-40mins seem to be getting longer. Probably a quiet time for movies,hardware but just stick to AV.
you can always jump the sections you are not interested in as there is a running order

The natural witty banter and the occasional off topic discussion is what makes this the entertaining fun and informative listen that it is...…..My 2 cents of course

^^ general question.. I assume there's a technical issue to prevent podcasts having chapter markers ? I've never seen them but think they would be really useful sometimes.

MB

PS Thanks for this week's banter !

Great Podcast. Missed Steve.

Really enjoy listening to Cas insights into Movies and he can do that without spoilers. That is a skill in itself.

1 minor criticism- the microphone Cas is using seems to be sibilant and harsh sounding. Painful.

@Spike_UK thanks for that, fascinating to watch and the costs would make a reel to reel follower spit their coffee out. I had heard of the anamorphic LD phase towards the end, but wasn't aware of MUSE at all.

There's been quite a lot of high-end AV recently, so personally I was fine with this podcast rambling a bit, including Mark's traveliing on the No. 16 bus: "As it hits the potholes and your head hits the ceiling .." :) I almost didn't notice that my man Mr Steve Withers was absent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom