This week:

00:00:28 – And then there were three...
00:12:11 – Current competitions
00:13:58 – Steve reviews the Samsung QE65Q9FN QLED TV
00:31:55 – Phil reviews the electriQ 55-inch OLED TV
00:43:05 – Phil and Steve’s thoughts on the LG C8 OLED TV
01:04:42 – Avengers: Infinity War is doing quite well at the box office
01:09:40 – Films opening this week – Deadpool 2 and Allure
01:12:57 – Disc releases this week – The Greatest Showman, All the Money in the World and Molly’s Game
01:19:00 – Upcoming 4K disc releases
01:21:43 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:23:52 | File Size: 107mb | Direct Link

Phil, what about the electriQ with a Lumagen? That could be interesting, or is it a lost cause. What was it like for banding?

Thanks fellas interesting and thought provoking

Ok $1 m question

Which is the better TV the Q9 or the C8 ? Both potential reference Tv's :lease:

It would be really handy if you could add that topic index along with functional chapter markers to the podcast's description.

Thanks fellas interesting and thought provoking

Ok $1 m question

Which is the better TV the Q9 or the C8 ? Both potential reference Tv's :lease:
Personally I'd probably go for the C8 because it's all about movies with me, but if I was a big football fan or a massive gamer, I might prefer the Q9FN. The best approach is to go and look at both TVs for yourself and ultimately make up your own mind.

For info: the new 70mm screening of "2001" is showing at Southampton Westquay, in June, along with a few other venues, but not at my local new Odeon complex in Bournemouth, as far as I know - bummer... Won't be a Cinerama screening though, I'm guessing ?

Phil, what about the electriQ with a Lumagen? That could be interesting, or is it a lost cause. What was it like for banding?
You'd have to be nuts to buy a cheap OLED and then get an expensive processor like a Lumagen. Just buy a B7/C7 for £1,499 – job done!

For info: the new 70mm screening of "2001" is showing at Southampton Westquay, in June, along with a few other venues, but not at my local new Odeon complex in Bournemouth, as far as I know - bummer... Won't be a Cinerama screening though, I'm guessing ?
Thanks, I think a trip to Southampton is in order.

Just a heads up on the ElectriQ. There was an update that hadn't been applied to the TV OTA but instead was there for download. This was missed when testing initially and has been added. It has changed the performance parameters from those I tested it with, so it will be reassessed ASAP, to see if it improves the scoring of the review. We are also talking to them direct to see if there are other areas we found that they can improve, so nice to see a company responding to feedback.

Great podcast as always chaps, keep up the good work as it’s always appreciated.
Any chance in future podcast to take forum questions?
I would love to know what equipment each host uses.

Thanks.

Great show, the in-depth chat and honest reviews are what I’m here for.

Might have missed it, but will there be a HiSense TV in the long-term shootout?

Great pod as usual.

Glad to hear the C8 is doing well this year too, will keep the Oled fans on the Samsung thread happy, can't recall a review kicking off so much my tech is better than your tech discussion (and bizarrely, those who read the full review would have sensed the LG was going to go ref anyway).

Have you guys seen the E8 wall mounted? I cannot find a pic anywhere, I was wondering once you remove the stand are there holes punched through the glass/plastic base? I'm not buying, just curious :)

Great pod as usual.

Glad to hear the C8 is doing well this year too, will keep the Oled fans on the Samsung thread happy, can't recall a review kicking off so much my tech is better than your tech discussion (and bizarrely, those who read the full review would have sensed the LG was going to go ref anyway).

Have you guys seen the E8 wall mounted? I cannot find a pic anywhere, I was wondering once you remove the stand are there holes punched through the glass/plastic base? I'm not buying, just curious :)
No I haven't seen the E8 wall mounted I'm afraid.

Is it possible that BFI flicker is more noticeable in Europe?

First of all, 50 Hz BFI would surely flicker more than 60 Hz BFI... but also 60 Hz BFI content could flicker more when you are in a room with lights that tend to flicker as a multiple of 50 Hz?

Is it possible that BFI flicker is more noticeable in Europe?

First of all, 50 Hz BFI would surely flicker more than 60 Hz BFI... but also 60 Hz BFI content could flicker more when you are in a room with lights that tend to flicker as a multiple of 50 Hz?
LG's BFI works at 60Hz and still flickers at night with all the lights out.

Thanks gents - almost finished this week's edition which has been a good listen, especially in relation to TVs.
Does the Mustang know there is a " third person " ( The C8 ) in Phil's life now?
Think the Black Friday sales/speculation threads will be replaced by the AVForums TV sale of the long term test models.

Would highly recommend Cobra Kai for future TV viewing/podcast talk. The first 2 episodes are free on YouTube. Suprised the site doesn't have a review up already (I suppose Kaz does sleep sometimes). An exercise in how to capture nostalgia correctly:

Last edited:
Great podcast as always chaps.
A note on smart TV platforms and the impact on my future choices for a TV as a Panasonic DX902 owner I'd be definitely looking at LG instead for my next TV. The DX902 has disappointed me with problems with
  • the Amazon app not selecting the correct picture mode for HDR content,
  • problems with the iPlayer app not working on the TV for many months for many users now
    BBC iPlayer Help - Why is BBC iPlayer not loading on my Panasonic TV?
    Only just updated to say it's a problem when a program is being recorded.
  • iPlayer HLG test and Blue Planet 2 not correctly triggering HDR on the TV
  • Apps crash out when a TV recording starts from Freeview, and will repeatedly crash out
These issues and the poor response from Panasonic to fix these issues have led to me buying a Roku SS+ to get my streaming services working properly. The TV has a great picture for sure, but as a whole package the smart platform really lets it down, as does Panasonic support.

Thanks, I think a trip to Southampton is in order.

I had the pleasure of a 70mm screening of 2001 a few years ago. It is sensational and I may try and go again this year. You're going to love it and it's definitely worth the round trip to see this projected.

There are a few (although not many) 70mm venues left in the UK. Another film doing a fresh 70mm tour this year is Sound of Music.

Great poddy as always. Food for thought regarding the TVs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom