Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:40 – Phil’s turning into a vegetarian
00:05:40 – Current competitions
00:06:15 – Samsung launches their 2018 QLED TV range
00:18:30 – LG confirms their 2018 OLED and LCD TV line-up
00:21:20 – Sony announces availability and pricing on the XF90
00:27:23 – Have calibration features on TVs improved over the years?
00:38:00 – Is CD really dead or just poorly?
00:54:37 – Films opening this week – Peter Rabbit and Tomb Raider
00:58:36 – Mark reviews Black Panther and The Shape of Water!
01:06:41 – Disc releases – Paddington 2, Only the Brave and The Florida Project
01:07:56 – Upcoming 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc releases
01:09:35 – What did we think of this year’s Academy Awards?
01:19:28 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:20:32 | File Size: 121mb | Direct Link

The Post (like most of Spielberg’s films these days) is very well made, but not worth repeated viewings.
While similar to All the Presidents Men, it’s not in the same league and even with Hanks & Streep, the chemistry & acting is so much better with Redford & Hoffman. I hope The Post helps us get a 4K presentation of AtPM.

It is a little worrying about UHD releases within the UK v US, I hope this trend doesn’t increase.

I’ve always found the awards from Bafta made more sense compared to Oscar, and agreed, Deakins is long overdue an award. Looking though his filmography, every film of his that I've seen stays with me, he is a true artist!
While I am praising Bafta, it always annoys the hell out of me when they cut cinematography out of the main presentation and we get a 10 second “other awards won earlier”, why should it not be up there with director/editor..???

Completely agree on the cinematography point and delighted that Roger Deakins was finally recognised for his brilliance.
Cheers for another interesting podcast and for making Mondays more bearable.
PS Happy birthday @PhilHinton

Thanks for the podcast as usual

I find all the Oscar films a bit meh Inc 3 billboards which was so contrived and over hyped,

My best films were Dunkirk, THOR and Death of Stalin...

Thanks again for a terrific podcast everyone, always a great listen.
Were the quotes from Tomb Raider at all?

Last edited:
Entertaining as always.

Raised an eyebrow when Ed referred to CD as a 7-inch disc, which would surely lead to disappointment when you whip out the 4.7 incher.

Standard CD at 120mm is the same size as the most popular computer cooling fan standard, which I've aways found handy to visualise the size of computer components, so it sounded off immediately.

We still use floppies in work, saved my bacon a few times (old raid configs for old unix systems saved on them), so the cd may last a while longer....

Entertaining as always.

Raised an eyebrow when Ed referred to CD as a 7-inch disc, which would surely lead to disappointment when you whip out the 4.7 incher.

Standard CD at 120mm is the same size as the most popular computer cooling fan standard, which I've aways found handy to visualise the size of computer components, so it sounded off immediately.

Yes- I realised I'd got that wrong about 20 picoseconds after I said but didn't then have the presence of mind to correct myself. Go me.

Happy Birthday Phil.

C68600D0-AEC5-4820-AB93-35485F026DC8.jpeg

Question about Sony's positioning of the ZD9 and XF90, clearly the 2 year old ZD9 is somewhat of a placeholder until either the lower-cost options outperform it or when (if) Sony release a new super-premium LCD. With Sony demoing 10,000 nit prototypes it doesn't look like they are consigning their highest-end models solely to OLED, but with the ZD9 looking to lose the HDR brightness crown, not only to Samsung but also hisense, could we see a late year replacement for the ZD9 once Hdmi 2.1 chipsets are available, say between 2 and 4 thousand nits and 120hz to compete?

Or are we looking at 2019 before Sony move their LCD game forward?

Steve had a good point about not needing a dedicated CD deck as so many other devices play CDs just fine.

The exception to this is the PS4, which doesn’t! Caused me to buy a dedicated CD deck for the first time ever!

Steve had a good point about not needing a dedicated CD deck as so many other devices play CDs just fine.

The exception to this is the PS4, which doesn’t! Caused me to buy a dedicated CD deck for the first time ever!

I've got upwards of 20 devices that play cds if I count all my old games consoles, dvd/blu ray players, laptops, external drives etc! It will be a long time before none of those work!

Andy

Last edited:
Taking a CD out of case, inserting it into a CD drive and pressing an actual play button Is almost the equivalent of playing vinyl!

give it a few years and a few hipsters with beards and tattoos will try and make it cool again at 10 x the price

Great podcast again. Years ago, when me and my mates went to rent a video (then later a DVD!) we always steered well clear of anything that said "Oscar Winner" However now with monthly payment TV I'm more likely to try an Oscar winner (if I don't have to pay extra)

Thanks folks.

Do these new TVs genuinely have AI, or just a fast processor? Are they passing the Turing test, or just more marketing waffle?!!

MB

How come Mark Botwright is always a special guest and the others!!!! :confused: o_O. Yours and always LT....
upload_2018-3-13_16-40-45.png

TOMB RAIDER

In the original Game based Tomb Raider, the female lead had significantly large breasts. This actress or actor does not fit true to the original game.

This is probably due to political correctness where women are now supposed to look less like women.

With such a direction Hollywood is pushing based on sexist fear, we can expect in 5-10 years that Actors Men and Women will be indistinguishable. Women(if that word still exists then) will look like Men and Men(if that word still exists then) will look like Women.

Perhaps also through technological biophysical advancements Humans will be able to engage in Asexual reproduction. Simply because the alternative will be deemed as sexist and morally offensive.

TOMB RAIDER
Perhaps also through technological biophysical advancements Humans will be able to engage in Asexual reproduction. Simply because the alternative will be deemed as sexist and morally offensive.

And then we can all go and F ourselves ;)

Only just caught up with the Pod last night.

@Phil Hinton - you really need to catch up with Popstars, the songs are superb....google the Bin Laden song if you haven't already seen it :)

TOMB RAIDER

In the original Game based Tomb Raider, the female lead had significantly large breasts. This actress or actor does not fit true to the original game.

This is probably due to political correctness where women are now supposed to look less like women.

With such a direction Hollywood is pushing based on sexist fear, we can expect in 5-10 years that Actors Men and Women will be indistinguishable. Women(if that word still exists then) will look like Men and Men(if that word still exists then) will look like Women.

Have you seen Jennifer Lawrence in Red Sparrow?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom