AVForums Podcast: Episode 207 - 29th January 2018

Phil does seem to deliberately pick stills where I'm making a stupid face.

Oh o_O you mean the picture on the right (which I purposely selected) isn't your normal look then? :confused: :rolleyes:

The Last Jedi. I saw it twice because I promised a freindvI would see it with them, but otherwise would not have bothered watching it a second time.

I agree with Phil in that they made some odd decisions.

At the Core the Writer/Director just did not respect or have an idea about the previously carefully crafted Concept of the Force.

Thank you Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright for another top Podcast. Entertaining, informative and gets ths blood boiling a bit.

upload_2018-1-30_10-41-29-jpeg.972923
By the way Steve what's happened to your "movie wrap" with or without your half cocked semi inebriated type face "still" taken at the wrong moment from the poddy. Plus while i'm "at it" where has Chris McEneany gone?

Last edited:
By the way Steve what's happened to your "movie wrap" with or without your half cocked semi inebriated type face "still" taken at the wrong moment from the poddy. Plus while i'm "at it" where has Chris McEneany gone?
The Movie Wrap might be back soon, in one form or another, it's just a question of finding the time. As for Chris, sadly personal and work commitments got in the way and he hasn't been involved with AVForums for a couple of years.

Enjoyed the podcast.

I have fairly similar views on Star Wars TLJ, I think they just misjudged so much of it. I can't believe that they did it to ostracise portions of the audience, I just think they don't really understood what they had. There were so many glaring plot holes, clearly no-one was giving sufficient levels of critique to the story and its use of much loved characters. I was so exciting after enjoying Rogue one, but now....I am just willing myself not to buy the disk. If we want things to change, we cannot buy this stuff.

.... As for Chris, sadly personal and work commitments got in the way and he hasn't been involved with AVForums for a couple of years.

I realise its been quite some time now I just wanted to know why. I hope the "sadly personal" (or sadly "personal") bit is nothing bad but rather just awkward to do it any more apart from his "work commitment" bit. Thanks LT.

Last edited:
When you take your 10 year old Son....who is presumably part of the 'alleged' future demographic to watch a movie....TLJ and he has informed you that his 3 top favourite films are
1st : Pacific Rim
2nd: Transformers 4
3rd: All the Other Star Wars Films (Esp eps 4,5 and 6)

he owns about 10 replica light sabres, 5 different large star wars Lego sets, loads of other star wars merchandise to numerous to mention.....including a remote control R2D2

you know the film isn't up to much when 30 mins after watching he starts finding fault with it ..the glaring plot holes and now just jokes about how rubbish it was......They didn't get it right .....AT ALL

"I'm all for equal opportunities". No Steve it's clear you're not. You really should steer clear of gender issues. At best you sound like Alan Partridge, at worse like an MRA/Redpiller.

You would think AVForums would be welcoming to all. But Steve's continued problems with the female gender blight what should be an enjoyable tech podcast. And continue to make it sound like AVForums is only interested in an audience of one half of the population.

Women in the movie industry are finally able to tell the truth. Fight back against the abuse done to them. And Steve's opinion is "maybe it's going too far". This is a garbage hot take.

Despite the nonsense Steve posted before Christmas about Star Wars being ruined by a "feminist agenda" I was prepared to see this as a blip and give AVForums another go. But no, he's at it again and I deleted the podcast a few minutes in.

Clearly Steve isn't going to change on this rubbish. But the rest of the editorial team need to take a good long look at this and decide which side of common decency they want to be on. Back in my days as an editor I certainly wouldn't let the immature prejudice of one of my team blight the rest of the our websites - both for reasons of decency and commercial considerations.

Blimey... I assumed Steve was simply reiterating what he's said prior regarding gender bias in movies and not much more. How you went from that to all the above in your post is astonishing really. I do find it rather funny, however, that Steve suggested "maybe it's going too far", and then you came flying in extrapolating so much from so little, and in many ways, a very good example of "going too far". Well done.

"I'm all for equal opportunities". No Steve it's clear you're not. You really should steer clear of gender issues. At best you sound like Alan Partridge, at worse like an MRA/Redpiller.

You would think AVForums would be welcoming to all. But Steve's continued problems with the female gender blight what should be an enjoyable tech podcast. And continue to make it sound like AVForums is only interested in an audience of one half of the population.

Women in the movie industry are finally able to tell the truth. Fight back against the abuse done to them. And Steve's opinion is "maybe it's going too far". This is a garbage hot take.

Despite the nonsense Steve posted before Christmas about Star Wars being ruined by a "feminist agenda" I was prepared to see this as a blip and give AVForums another go. But no, he's at it again and I deleted the podcast a few minutes in.

Clearly Steve isn't going to change on this rubbish. But the rest of the editorial team need to take a good long look at this and decide which side of common decency they want to be on. Back in my days as an editor I certainly wouldn't let the immature prejudice of one of my team blight the rest of the our websites - both for reasons of decency and commercial considerations.

0BA47A3C-387A-4BDF-8B36-F586D1CBCF49.jpeg

BTW Steve great passion about the TLJ - I was gutted when I read your review and score of 7 - either you did well to mask your true thoughts or you’ve just had time to think about it more. I came out of the movie unsure of what I’d just seen, that has turned to just apathy. They had 4 years to come up with the story for Luke and as Tony Stark once said, they screwed the pooch hard. The significance of the Leia holo hadn’t really registered so you’ve ruined it even more for me. Cheers boys:rotfl:

I realise its been quite some time now I just wanted to know why. I hope the "sadly personal" (or sadly "personal") bit is nothing bad but rather just awkward to do it any more apart from his "work commitment" bit. Thanks LT.
I meant sad in the sense that he he doesn't have time for AVForums these days, rather than anything more serious.

Apologies if I missed it but will Steve buy the TLJ UHD disc when it's released?
I'm struggling with that very decision right now. Do I just give in and buy it as part of my Star Wars collection or do I let go of 41 years of fandom and accept that Lucasfilm no longer want someone like me as a fan.

Blimey... I assumed Steve was simply reiterating what he's said prior regarding gender bias in movies and not much more. How you went from that to all the above in your post is astonishing really. I do find it rather funny, however, that Steve suggested "maybe it's going too far", and then you came flying in extrapolating so much from so little, and in many ways, a very good example of "going too far". Well done.
I never said anything about gender bias in the movies in general, I was specifically referring to The Last Jedi, and despite someone accusing me of having a problem with the female gender, that also isn't true. Once again, I have a problem with The Last Jedi which, come to think of it, was written by Rian Johnson, who's a man. So if anything I have a problem with the male gender or rather, one man in particular.

I'm struggling with that very decision right now. Do I just give in and buy it as part of my Star Wars collection or do I let go of 41 years of fandom and accept that Lucasfilm no longer want someone like me as a fan.

Just pretend it was all a bad dream and star wars ended after episode 6

Going on past form, I think you will crumble......I might as well. We must be strong!

Can you please point me to the correct podcast ? I was looking for the one where @Steve Withers insults all females in the film industry ? I could only find one with comments about the characters in a SW film.

Thanks for the podcast. Really enjoyed the SW review. It will be interesting if it really was a transition of tone or just a one off.

MB

Hi

On the Dolby cinema experience, how did you think it compared to the domestic projection systems, such as the JVC 7900 or the JVC Z1, was there more HDR impact. I saw a movie at a Dolby cinema in New York in 2016 and the quality blew me away. Was it less impact to you as you have everyday experiences of more up to date kit.

Kevin

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire, I should point out that Rian Johnson recently did a podcast where he addresses most of the points raised here about TLJ.

/Filmcast Ep. 451 - An Evening with Rian Johnson, Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi – /Film

Or direct link: https://traffic.megaphone.fm/PPY2742138537.mp3

Of particular interest was that he wrote the script when TFA was still in production. That is, he was building on a script and not what we saw in the theaters nor fan reaction when making those story decisions. And they ask him about every single choice during this interview and he is quite candid, and doesn’t dismiss fan criticism.

So, for example, he was definitely constructing a f*** you moment in the parental lineage discussion but it was pointed at the character in the scene, not the fans, as a way to construct the most challenging arc for that character's development. “What was the hardest thing for Luke to hear about his lineage? That his arch enemy was his father?” So, what’s the hardest thing for the character in TLJ to hear?....

I’m not saying any of that will change your mind but at least you’ll get the data from the author, since a whole bunch of this episode of the avforums podcast contained speculation about the author's intent...and he is quite happy to tell us his intent for each story decision, and not in a way that dismisses fans who dislike those choices, which is nice.

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire, I should point out that Rian Johnson recently did a podcast where he addresses most of the points raised here about TLJ.

/Filmcast Ep. 451 - An Evening with Rian Johnson, Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi – /Film

Or direct link: https://traffic.megaphone.fm/PPY2742138537.mp3

Of particular interest was that he wrote the script when TFA was still in production. That is, he was building on a script and not what we saw in the theaters nor fan reaction when making those story decisions. And they ask him about every single choice during this interview and he is quite candid, and doesn’t dismiss fan criticism.

So, for example, he was definitely constructing a f*** you moment in the parental lineage discussion but it was pointed at the character in the scene, not the fans, as a way to construct the most challenging arc for that character's development. “What was the hardest thing for Luke to hear about his lineage? That his arch enemy was his father?” So, what’s the hardest thing for the character in TLJ to hear?....

I’m not saying any of that will change your mind but at least you’ll get the data from the author, since a whole bunch of this episode of the avforums podcast contained speculation about the author's intent...and he is quite happy to tell us his intent for each story decision, and not in a way that dismisses fans who dislike those choices, which is nice.
So JJ has already written episode 9? My logic being the next movie is due to come out in same 2 year cycle. They must be getting ready to start pre production right? And he wrote TLJ in isolation of the events of TFA? Sorry, Rian Johnson statement smacks to me of back tracking.

Filming started on Episode 8 in Jan 2016 so I think it’s reasonable the he wrote the script before Episode 7’s release.

I suspect Colin Trevarrow would of had or would have been working on a script when he was fired ; so JJ certainly will be behind the curb.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom