Quantcast

AVForums Podcast: Episode 207 - 29th January 2018

Amar1

@Steve Withers what was better Dolby Cinema or IMAX with Laser? Or are they broadly comparable?

How is the Dolby Atmos in a Dolby Cinema compared to the IMAX with Laser 12 channel sound system?

Saw Blade Runner 2049 at the Imax with Laser at the Empire Leicester Square. First time watching 3d that I forgot I was wearing the glasses as the brightness was exceptional. They have also updated the glasses as I did not see any reflections inside the glasses, as experienced when I first saw the Force Awakens there in Dec 2015.

Last edited:

nathanhh

Standard Member
So JJ has already written episode 9? My logic being the next movie is due to come out in same 2 year cycle. They must be getting ready to start pre production right? And he wrote TLJ in isolation of the events of TFA? Sorry, Rian Johnson statement smacks to me of back tracking.
I suppose he could by lying. Listening to him describe the writing process, working on Ep 8 using a draft of JJ's Ep7 script before Ep 7 was complete, then with Lucas Film on approvals during the drafts process, hearing about when different segments were created, and the other details of the timeline, all seem very coherent, and I found them interesting.

After listening to the details, it provided a lot of food for thought, even if it didn't ultimately change my opinion of the movie. And it was fascinating to hear about how he really took a lot of the reaction to heart and felt really bad about it.

Regarding your question about what JJ is doing, I don't recall him talking at all about Episode 9's status. I may have missed that detail. Did you hear him mention something like that?

Filming started on Episode 8 in Jan 2016 so I think it’s reasonable the he wrote the script before Episode 7’s release.

I suspect Colin Trevarrow would of had or would have been working on a script when he was fired ; so JJ certainly will be behind the curb.
JJ can dance with the best of 'em. I am curious to see what he comes up with.

SteveeJ

Not heard anything yet about what JJ is doing. My point is I’m very surprised these two movies were apparently being developed in isolation - based on what Marcel have been doing to arrive at Infinity War Disney appear to have an overall plan. I forgot they sacked Colin, maybe his creative differences came from being handed TLJ back story.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hi

On the Dolby cinema experience, how did you think it compared to the domestic projection systems, such as the JVC 7900 or the JVC Z1, was there more HDR impact. I saw a movie at a Dolby cinema in New York in 2016 and the quality blew me away. Was it less impact to you as you have everyday experiences of more up to date kit.

Kevin
The commercial laser projectors used in cinemas are in a completely different league, for one thing they use direct laser light rather than reflected laser light, so they're brighter and have a wider and more precise colour gamut. They're also the size of a small car and cost about £500,000, so there really is no comparison.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
@Steve Withers what was better Dolby Cinema or IMAX with Laser? Or are they broadly comparable?

How is the Dolby Atmos in a Dolby Cinema compared to the IMAX with Laser 12 channel sound system?

Saw Blade Runner 2049 at the Imax with Laser at the Empire Leicester Square. First time watching 3d that I forgot I was wearing the glasses as the brightness was exceptional. They have also updated the glasses as I did not see any reflections inside the glasses, as experienced when I first saw the Force Awakens there in Dec 2015.
This is purely based on memory but I'd say they were broadly similar.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Not heard anything yet about what JJ is doing. My point is I’m very surprised these two movies were apparently being developed in isolation - based on what Marcel have been doing to arrive at Infinity War Disney appear to have an overall plan. I forgot they sacked Colin, maybe his creative differences came from being handed TLJ back story.
I'd say JJ's got his work cut out considering how The Last Jedi ends and he must be smarting at the way Johnson treated The Force Awakens. To be honest I just don't care any more, although I'm looking forward to seeing how much of train wreck Solo is when the trailer goes up on Monday.

SteveeJ

I'd say JJ's got his work cut out considering how The Last Jedi ends and he must be smarting at the way Johnson treated The Force Awakens. To be honest I just don't care any more, although I'm looking forward to seeing how much of train wreck Solo is when the trailer goes up on Monday.
Yes that might turn out to be a bit of mess too.

nathanhh

Standard Member
We don’t need to speculate about what JJ and Lucasfilm's plans are or what they thought. Rian is pretty forthcoming about their approaches to the trilogy story arc and interactions between the people involved in that interview.

I’m not saying I like it but he lays it all out and no one is getting blindsided or acting without coordination or consultation. They actually discuss the similarities to the writing process for the original trilogy and how JJ diverged from the Lucas outline, and what that outline was like.

Jokerr

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire, I should point out that Rian Johnson recently did a podcast where he addresses most of the points raised here about TLJ.

/Filmcast Ep. 451 - An Evening with Rian Johnson, Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi – /Film

Or direct link: https://traffic.megaphone.fm/PPY2742138537.mp3

Of particular interest was that he wrote the script when TFA was still in production. That is, he was building on a script and not what we saw in the theaters nor fan reaction when making those story decisions. And they ask him about every single choice during this interview and he is quite candid, and doesn’t dismiss fan criticism.

So, for example, he was definitely constructing a f*** you moment in the parental lineage discussion but it was pointed at the character in the scene, not the fans, as a way to construct the most challenging arc for that character's development. “What was the hardest thing for Luke to hear about his lineage? That his arch enemy was his father?” So, what’s the hardest thing for the character in TLJ to hear?....

I’m not saying any of that will change your mind but at least you’ll get the data from the author, since a whole bunch of this episode of the avforums podcast contained speculation about the author's intent...and he is quite happy to tell us his intent for each story decision, and not in a way that dismisses fans who dislike those choices, which is nice.

Thank you for this catch and i listened to it all via iTunes Podcasts App.

Rian J is very American sounding with so much American slang lingo.
‘Kinda, kinda, kinda’, ‘you know, you know, you know’,’like, like, like’.
For me he is very difficult to listen to, but I endured it for this 90minute Podcast. Certainly he lacks articulation skills compared to many other Directors such as Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppala.

The sense I got from the Podcast is that Rian is probably a terrific Director, but I think he should not have been involved in Story Line decision making.

I don’t think he has a strong, clear Vision for Starwars after listening to this Podcast and is riddled with uncertainties. Hence the TLJ disjointed catastrophe is of no surprise.

SteveeJ

We don’t need to speculate about what JJ and Lucasfilm's plans are or what they thought. Rian is pretty forthcoming about their approaches to the trilogy story arc and interactions between the people involved in that interview.

I’m not saying I like it but he lays it all out and no one is getting blindsided or acting without coordination or consultation. They actually discuss the similarities to the writing process for the original trilogy and how JJ diverged from the Lucas outline, and what that outline was like.
Why don’t we need to speculate?

meltonboy

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire, I should point out that Rian Johnson recently did a podcast where he addresses most of the points raised here about TLJ.

/Filmcast Ep. 451 - An Evening with Rian Johnson, Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi – /Film

Or direct link: https://traffic.megaphone.fm/PPY2742138537.mp3
I would encourage those interested in TLJ to listen to this interview with RJ (if you have 1h50' to spare). As @nathanhh says, it can't make you enjoy something that you didn't but it does illustrate that quite a lot of thought was involved over story decisions, even if you didn't agree with those decisions. He seems pretty genuine on this podcast.

MB

quantaca

Standard Member
Just the talk about all those things luke wouldn't do ... 20 year old luke may not have done them but why wouldn't 60 year old luke do them, the world is full of miserable old sods who where once bright and idealistic, people change through their experiences and usually not for the good. And this luke was just tired of watching people die (like a lot of old soldiers) and being betrayed by his own feelings/fears.