Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AVForums Podcast: Episode 207 - 29th January 2018

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      Great podcast guys.

2. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      The Movie Wrap might be back soon, in one form or another, it's just a question of finding the time. As for Chris, sadly personal and work commitments got in the way and he hasn't been involved with AVForums for a couple of years.

3. rosscouk

rosscouk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +74
      Enjoyed the podcast.

I have fairly similar views on Star Wars TLJ, I think they just misjudged so much of it. I can't believe that they did it to ostracise portions of the audience, I just think they don't really understood what they had. There were so many glaring plot holes, clearly no-one was giving sufficient levels of critique to the story and its use of much loved characters. I was so exciting after enjoying Rogue one, but now....I am just willing myself not to buy the disk. If we want things to change, we cannot buy this stuff.

4. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +647
      I realise its been quite some time now I just wanted to know why. I hope the "sadly personal" (or sadly "personal") bit is nothing bad but rather just awkward to do it any more apart from his "work commitment" bit. Thanks LT.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    5. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +546
      Apologies if I missed it but will Steve buy the TLJ UHD disc when it's released?

6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +984
      When you take your 10 year old Son....who is presumably part of the 'alleged' future demographic to watch a movie....TLJ and he has informed you that his 3 top favourite films are
      1st : Pacific Rim
      2nd: Transformers 4
      3rd: All the Other Star Wars Films (Esp eps 4,5 and 6)

he owns about 10 replica light sabres, 5 different large star wars Lego sets, loads of other star wars merchandise to numerous to mention.....including a remote control R2D2

you know the film isn't up to much when 30 mins after watching he starts finding fault with it ..the glaring plot holes and now just jokes about how rubbish it was......They didn't get it right .....AT ALL

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    7. neologan

neologan
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Blimey... I assumed Steve was simply reiterating what he's said prior regarding gender bias in movies and not much more. How you went from that to all the above in your post is astonishing really. I do find it rather funny, however, that Steve suggested "maybe it's going too far", and then you came flying in extrapolating so much from so little, and in many ways, a very good example of "going too far". Well done.

8. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +201
      0BA47A3C-387A-4BDF-8B36-F586D1CBCF49.jpeg

9. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      BTW Steve great passion about the TLJ - I was gutted when I read your review and score of 7 - either you did well to mask your true thoughts or you’ve just had time to think about it more. I came out of the movie unsure of what I’d just seen, that has turned to just apathy. They had 4 years to come up with the story for Luke and as Tony Stark once said, they screwed the pooch hard. The significance of the Leia holo hadn’t really registered so you’ve ruined it even more for me. Cheers boys:rotfl:

10. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      I meant sad in the sense that he he doesn't have time for AVForums these days, rather than anything more serious.

11. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      I'm struggling with that very decision right now. Do I just give in and buy it as part of my Star Wars collection or do I let go of 41 years of fandom and accept that Lucasfilm no longer want someone like me as a fan.

12. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      I never said anything about gender bias in the movies in general, I was specifically referring to The Last Jedi, and despite someone accusing me of having a problem with the female gender, that also isn't true. Once again, I have a problem with The Last Jedi which, come to think of it, was written by Rian Johnson, who's a man. So if anything I have a problem with the male gender or rather, one man in particular.

13. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +984
      Just pretend it was all a bad dream and star wars ended after episode 6

14. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      The annoying thing is that I really liked The Force Awakens but The Last Jedi just takes a giant dump all over the earlier film.

15. rosscouk

rosscouk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +74
      Going on past form, I think you will crumble......I might as well. We must be strong!

16. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +522
      Can you please point me to the correct podcast ? I was looking for the one where @Steve Withers insults all females in the film industry ? I could only find one with comments about the characters in a SW film.

Thanks for the podcast. Really enjoyed the SW review. It will be interesting if it really was a transition of tone or just a one off.

MB

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    17. linnasak

linnasak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      Hi

On the Dolby cinema experience, how did you think it compared to the domestic projection systems, such as the JVC 7900 or the JVC Z1, was there more HDR impact. I saw a movie at a Dolby cinema in New York in 2016 and the quality blew me away. Was it less impact to you as you have everyday experiences of more up to date kit.

Kevin

18. nathanhh

nathanhh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      At the risk of adding fuel to the fire, I should point out that Rian Johnson recently did a podcast where he addresses most of the points raised here about TLJ.

/Filmcast Ep. 451 - An Evening with Rian Johnson, Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi – /Film

Or direct link: https://traffic.megaphone.fm/PPY2742138537.mp3

Of particular interest was that he wrote the script when TFA was still in production. That is, he was building on a script and not what we saw in the theaters nor fan reaction when making those story decisions. And they ask him about every single choice during this interview and he is quite candid, and doesn’t dismiss fan criticism.

So, for example, he was definitely constructing a f*** you moment in the parental lineage discussion but it was pointed at the character in the scene, not the fans, as a way to construct the most challenging arc for that character's development. “What was the hardest thing for Luke to hear about his lineage? That his arch enemy was his father?” So, what’s the hardest thing for the character in TLJ to hear?....

I’m not saying any of that will change your mind but at least you’ll get the data from the author, since a whole bunch of this episode of the avforums podcast contained speculation about the author's intent...and he is quite happy to tell us his intent for each story decision, and not in a way that dismisses fans who dislike those choices, which is nice.

19. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      So JJ has already written episode 9? My logic being the next movie is due to come out in same 2 year cycle. They must be getting ready to start pre production right? And he wrote TLJ in isolation of the events of TFA? Sorry, Rian Johnson statement smacks to me of back tracking.

20. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +516
      Filming started on Episode 8 in Jan 2016 so I think it’s reasonable the he wrote the script before Episode 7’s release.

I suspect Colin Trevarrow would of had or would have been working on a script when he was fired ; so JJ certainly will be behind the curb.

21. Amar1

Amar1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +79
      @Steve Withers what was better Dolby Cinema or IMAX with Laser? Or are they broadly comparable?

How is the Dolby Atmos in a Dolby Cinema compared to the IMAX with Laser 12 channel sound system?

Saw Blade Runner 2049 at the Imax with Laser at the Empire Leicester Square. First time watching 3d that I forgot I was wearing the glasses as the brightness was exceptional. They have also updated the glasses as I did not see any reflections inside the glasses, as experienced when I first saw the Force Awakens there in Dec 2015.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    22. nathanhh

nathanhh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      I suppose he could by lying. Listening to him describe the writing process, working on Ep 8 using a draft of JJ's Ep7 script before Ep 7 was complete, then with Lucas Film on approvals during the drafts process, hearing about when different segments were created, and the other details of the timeline, all seem very coherent, and I found them interesting.

After listening to the details, it provided a lot of food for thought, even if it didn't ultimately change my opinion of the movie. And it was fascinating to hear about how he really took a lot of the reaction to heart and felt really bad about it.

Regarding your question about what JJ is doing, I don't recall him talking at all about Episode 9's status. I may have missed that detail. Did you hear him mention something like that?

JJ can dance with the best of 'em. I am curious to see what he comes up with.

23. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      Not heard anything yet about what JJ is doing. My point is I’m very surprised these two movies were apparently being developed in isolation - based on what Marcel have been doing to arrive at Infinity War Disney appear to have an overall plan. I forgot they sacked Colin, maybe his creative differences came from being handed TLJ back story.

24. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      The commercial laser projectors used in cinemas are in a completely different league, for one thing they use direct laser light rather than reflected laser light, so they're brighter and have a wider and more precise colour gamut. They're also the size of a small car and cost about £500,000, so there really is no comparison.

25. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      This is purely based on memory but I'd say they were broadly similar.

26. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      I'd say JJ's got his work cut out considering how The Last Jedi ends and he must be smarting at the way Johnson treated The Force Awakens. To be honest I just don't care any more, although I'm looking forward to seeing how much of train wreck Solo is when the trailer goes up on Monday.

27. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      Yes that might turn out to be a bit of mess too.

28. nathanhh

nathanhh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      We don’t need to speculate about what JJ and Lucasfilm's plans are or what they thought. Rian is pretty forthcoming about their approaches to the trilogy story arc and interactions between the people involved in that interview.

I’m not saying I like it but he lays it all out and no one is getting blindsided or acting without coordination or consultation. They actually discuss the similarities to the writing process for the original trilogy and how JJ diverged from the Lucas outline, and what that outline was like.

29. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +201

Thank you for this catch and i listened to it all via iTunes Podcasts App.

Rian J is very American sounding with so much American slang lingo.
      ‘Kinda, kinda, kinda’, ‘you know, you know, you know’,’like, like, like’.
      For me he is very difficult to listen to, but I endured it for this 90minute Podcast. Certainly he lacks articulation skills compared to many other Directors such as Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppala.

The sense I got from the Podcast is that Rian is probably a terrific Director, but I think he should not have been involved in Story Line decision making.

I don’t think he has a strong, clear Vision for Starwars after listening to this Podcast and is riddled with uncertainties. Hence the TLJ disjointed catastrophe is of no surprise.

30. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      Why don’t we need to speculate?