AVForums Podcast: Episode 205 - 18th December 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 17, 2017.

Tags:

1. oxfordyankee

oxfordyankee

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +378
      Re: Chewie's Meat Eating
      I didn't take it as a swipe against eating meat, generally. Just a Porg not wanting him to eat one of its mates.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +555
      That's how i took it as well mate.

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,224
      Exactly and for the sake of a stupid joke (or possibly an anti-meat eating message) they made Chewie out to be a complete jerk who was prepared to kill, cook and eat a Porg in front of another Porg. Just inexcusable.

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      Well let's be honest the Porg had already been killed, plucked and Roasted so I think a creature that will pull your arms out of their sockets if he loses at chess wouldn't be that arsed.

What sort of moronic animal hangs about and watches the predator that is about to eat one of its kind.....

Just a really cheep joke

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
    5. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +555
      ^^ Yep, just not needed. Didn't move the story along

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,551
      Remember to use the spoiler tags please.

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      I'm opening up a New restaurant......KFP :)

8. Trojan

Trojan
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,407
      Has someone broke into Phil’s house and nicked that JVC 7900?

9. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      Thanks to all the team for a great year of podcasts. Just a shame that TLJ ruined the end of year party.

Looking forward to all your CES reports and can we please have more interviews with experts from the AV industry next year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    10. IamConan

IamConan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +277
      I wonder what the future of HDR10+ will look like now that the only studio that announced to support it was bought by Disney...

Anyway, great year of podcasts guys! Looking forward to learn much more about how to cook a proper chili in Dolby Vision and if Steve can buy more UHD Blu-rays than Ed can drink beers at CES next year :D

11. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +185
      TLJ certainly seems to have divided opinion like little else. I haven't seen it yet but I have to say I'm less enthusiastic now that I was before, although the multiplex cinemas in Cardiff are currently £4 a ticket (due to some uniquely local competition) I will check it out soon enough.

Truth be told I've long given up on Hollywood films and I find much more interesting films coming from elsewhere in the world. I find when watching 'blockbuster' movies like this (particularly in the age of mass hype) it's far better to go in with snake's belly-like levels of expectation, else you're likely to end up hugely disappointed...

12. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +198
    13. TJP75

TJP75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +714
      Thanks gents for a year of great podcasts. Merry Xmas and happy New Year to you all!

14. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,247
      Interesting.

First off, I thought it was going to be a good film. I saw this on the BBC:

Last Jedi has critics in raptures

Other than that I've tried to avoid comments as I will probably watch it when Christmas is out of the way. The comments on here were my first inkling it might not be that good.

Now I've heard the podcast.

Well I laughed out loud a few times.

I haven't watched the film yet, but will be back when I have.

15. jimmybignutz

jimmybignutz
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    16. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,247
      Not saying I agree with it but there's this take on it.

The Last Jedi / Headscratchers - TV Tropes

Headscratchers/God In Star Wars?

There's a couple of times in the movie where members of the Resistance said 'Godspeed', one being the doomed Medical Frigate captain and another being Holdo herself. So do characters in Star Wars, at least those who are human, have somewhat familiar religion to our real world? I mean, there are characters using 'hell' in those movies as well after all. Han Solo did it in the OT, and Poe said it here as well.
      • I choose to believe that "God" is simply the highest setting on their speedometers. But seriously, the religious references have never been adequately explained.
      • Several cultures have had various gods in the old EU (typically revealed to either be the Force under a different name, a powerful Force-user, or occasionally left unexplained). Most of Star Wars has been secular in an Outgrown Such Silly Superstitions way except for the Force (which is of course a very solid and provable religion), but just because most people are non-religious doesn't mean everyone is.
      • Even if we just look at the films, both Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace made references to the concept of gods and religions. The Ewoks worshiped C-3P0 as a god and he was quick to tell the others that pretending to be a deity was against protocol. Meanwhile, Jar Jar Binks often exclaimed "ye gods" and "by the gods", which implies the Gungans have at least one pantheistic religion.
      • Godspeed is just a figure of speech. It's a fancy way of saying "good luck". An atheist can tell someone "godspeed" and be 100% sincere even though he/she does not literally believe in a god. It's the equivalent of a person saying "Go to Hell" even if they believe there is no Hell to go to.

17. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,224
      That makes for an interesting read and I can remember at the time that Empire wasn't that well received, it was very different from Star Wars and it didn't really have a conclusion which annoyed a lot of people. Since I was only 13 at the time, I remember thinking that 3 years was a hell of a long time to have to wait to find out what happens. Imagine my disappointment when, after waiting 3 years, all I got was Jedi! The last sentence of Vincent Canby's review seems particularly relevant these days "At this point the adventures of Luke, Leia and Han Solo appear to be a self-sustaining organism, beyond criticism except on a corporate level."

18. jimmybignutz

jimmybignutz
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      The Phantom Menace is what i got at 16 at least you got to see the original trilogy in the cinema with no special edition treatment!

19. mrmrh

mrmrh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +82
      Great podcast, thanks for the excellent work throughout the year and looking forward to next year.

I saw that the Christopher Nolan 4K discs in the US doesn’t have the digital downloads which is something I’d want ... that said I’m ignorant of how to apply digital download codes.
      How do you activate them and once you do what are they accessible on? Also does it vary by movie/studio?

20. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +621
      Thank you for another great year of informative and entertaining podcasts, with the odd rant here and there for good measure. Anything less wouldn't be British would it! :)

Ed has stolen the show on more than one occasion; may your enthusiasm for beer, BBQs and vinyl never dwindle. I'd also love to listen to those Concept 500s sometime, but your recommended GB1s will probably live here for some time to come.

Can I personally say thanks for raising the 21:9 questions and holding on to the topic as well with Danny. It was great to hear that they've been thinking about this, and hopefully LG are also thinking about this for the next big thing. Let's face it, if curved TVs were given the green light, surely 21:9 has an equal or greater chance at success. I don't quite see the fascination with 8K (except it's a big marketing number) as I believe 4K already exceeds the limits of the human eye in all but a few screen size/distance ratios used today, and a world full of 2K DIs seems to suggest the venture would be a complete waste of time.

I want to also use this opportunity to thank the AVForums community for helping me with substantial upgrades this year. Steve's reviews led to auditioning, and user reviews and further discussions in the forums have led to the biggest upgrade I've made in a very long time, including the jump to 4K. I blame both Phil and Steve for a massively unhealthy load on the bank account and credit cards! Phil, your reference earlier in the year that Kuro owners should think about moving on was financially painful, never mind how right you were! But like the pain of fuelling a V8, it's all worth it, and I'm still upgrading through Christmas.

My wife is questioning my sanity even though she is also enjoying the improved experience.

So this is almost the end of 2017. Have a great Christmas break and enjoy yourselves at CES. See you in the New Year. Really looking forward to it. :D

A thought to carry forward into next year:
      Is it too much to ask for a Dolby Cinema in the UK?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    21. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +227
      Thank you for another great Podcast.

Skillfully handled - talking about Star Wars, but without any Spoilers.

I saw the movie and like the analogy Phil used in the Podcast. Loosing luggage and money on your way to visit Uncle.

The Last Jedi Just seemed to re-do what the previous Star Wars movies have already done, but not doing it any better or in a more original/interesting way.

I agree with Steve about the strange Star Trek Set look, especially on a particular scene [red background].

It just looks like the Movie is trying to please everyone without any sense of Individuality.

Very curious to know what Phiil was referring to when he said in the podcast that they Went against the Fundamentals of the Starwars Universe?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    22. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +227
      May I offer another analogy to describe my StarWars ‘THE LAST JEDI’ experience.

‘I walked into a fast food Take Away restaurant to purchase a Chicken Burger. Just before I was about to place my order, I suddenly felt ashamed about eating chicken, so instead I ordered a Veggie Burger. On my way out I opened the door to a female, who looked at me in disgust. She was appalled because, me opening the door in some way implied that she is weak or in need of help from a man.’

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    23. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,247
      So I've seen TLJ now. I am reminded of Doctor Who again.

For literally over five decades the Dr has always been a guy. The idea that Gallifreyans can regenerate as female only came in in the last few years. The Dr literally went through his entire life as male. He's had to be given even more regenerations as he's used the lot up. Romana when she changed from Mary Tamm Romana to Lalla Ward Romana even tried a few female bodies as options and it never occurred to her she could be male. However, it's now been shoe horned into the plot that the Dr's an alien and he can be female and if you don't like it you are a misogynist. "New powers as the plot demands."

So the complaint with TLJ is we haven't seen these new powers before? Well it's a Galaxy far, far away so they are aliens. And the Force is a fictional super power. So what's the problem?

Regarding Leia "flying" I didn't have a problem. As far as i am aware, humans can survive in space for a short time. Maybe these aliens can. Jedi seem to have no problem moving things on worlds where there is gravity. In space there is no gravity so it should be easier. Luke can make the force make a lightsabre fly into his hand so Leia can pull a spaceship to her. Or her to the spaceship, all the same thing.

Regarding The Empire Strikes Back, often thought by many to be the best, we had Han Solo and others inside a space worm, inside an asteroid, in space. They were just wearing some kind of breath mask. No space suit. They were fine.

As for projecting an image of yourself across the galaxy, we are already in a world of force ghosts and whatever else.

Thought the film was ok, not brilliant but ok. The series survived "The Phantom Menace" and that was God awful. I actually liked the way TLJ did things slightly different to what you'd expect.

I also watched it with a ten year old. He had no idea of the controversy, came out and said "that was good." When he gets older he might nit-pick.

I'd also add, the female rebel admiral, Holdo? - her strategy was to fly away from the Empire ships taking losses as they went. That was it? If it had been Star Trek they'd have rigged a warp drive in a ship to explode, and sent it back towards the following ships. Or they'd have stuck a skeleton crew on one of the ships and flew it back towards the chasing ships and rammed, or did as they did with Empire and split up and then meet at a rendezvous? Or did as she eventually did and jumped to warp through the lot of them which it eventually occurred to her to do.

So I didn't think the women were that strong or good leaders either. On her watch, the rebel fleet went from a fleet, to a few dozen survivors on the Falcon. I thought she was grossly incompetent.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017