AVForums Podcast: Episode 200 - 13th November 2017

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:44 – Did anyone get a haircut or buy a drone?
00:09:14 – Current competitions
00:12:03 – Philips 9002 OLED TV wins ‘blind’ shoot-out
00:36:18 – LG plans to launch 8K OLED TVs in 2019
00:39:14 – Mark’s final thoughts on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus
00:43:02 – Steve reviews the JVC X5900 projector
00:48:06 – Films opening on Friday – Justice League
00:53:45 – Blu-rays released this week – Baby Driver, Cars 3, Office Christmas Party and Preacher Season 2
00:55:24 – Ultra HD Blu-ray update
00:58:46 – Disney in talks to buy the film division of 20th Century Fox
01:03:47 – Rian Johnson to create new Star Wars trilogy
01:11:10 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley.

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast
Sponsor link: Sevenoaks Sound & Vision

Time: 01:12:32 | File Size: 98mb | Direct Link

E9A7DA34-5CA1-41D7-ABAB-E272A3168F0B.png
Great Podcast. Nice to see Phil and Steve at the LONDON FILM MUSEUM - TV SHOOT OUT EVENT.

Good catch about the Nolan box set.

I purchased the 6 x Nolan HD Films box set on iTunes for £39.99.
Apple might do a free upgrade of the movies to 4K/DOLBYVISION if they become available in that format.

Hi Phil, Steve,

Many thanks for the time and effort into organising the OLED TV SHOOTOUT Event and the Calibrations.

I actually think Philips have done the Industry and Consumers a good turn inadvertently. By this I mean they demonstrated how much better the typical Retail Vivid mode is on Philips vs Competitors tuning. So hopefully competitors are going to address their Vivid Mode tuning and improve it for a better performance, not just for Brightness/Contrast attraction on a shop floor. If competitors do follow suit and improve the tuning in Retail Vivid mode then this benefits Shoppers who can see a better picture in store and then make a more realistic judgement.

I have a few questions to Danny for the planned Podcast, please can you let me know which thread to post them? I already posted them on the Philips discussion thread, but not sure if it is the right thread.

Thank you.

PS. I like the term "top bollock’ which Mark used in last weeks podcast which I have since been frequently using, much to my friends frustration.

Top Podcast as usual great mix of humour and information

I cant help but agree with Ed on the whole star wars thing......amazing how loyal people are to a series of 8 films and counting that peaked with the 2nd one 37 years ago! ....I don't mind them and they can be entertaining enough but this slavish devotion to something that never meets hopes and expectations is a bit sad in reality...

Now Disney have got their hands on it its NEVER going to stop which it really should have done in 1983

@Steve Withers you got cut off mid sentence when saying you would sell the Apple TV and get the Roku instead, can I ask why? I'm tempted to get the Apple TV for the iTunes UHD/HDR library now they've sorted out the frame rate and dynamic range switching, the apps on my LG give me everything else I'd want outside of the UHD Blu-rays (I'm assuming for your purposes you're thinking more of the cinema room and plugging straight into a projector).

@Steve Withers you got cut off mid sentence when saying you would sell the Apple TV and get the Roku instead, can I ask why? I'm tempted to get the Apple TV for the iTunes UHD/HDR library now they've sorted out the frame rate and dynamic range switching, the apps on my LG give me everything else I'd want outside of the UHD Blu-rays (I'm assuming for your purposes you're thinking more of the cinema room and plugging straight into a projector).
I don't actually use iTunes for movies, I'm more of a Ultra HD Blu-ray guy, so what I'm interested in are the streaming services for use with my JVC projector. The Roku has the lot plus correct output of HDR and auto refresh rate, so it works better for me than the Apple TV. However since the Apple TV 4K will be getting updates for HDR output and auto refresh rates, I still think it's worth getting if you use iTunes for movies.

I don't actually use iTunes for movies, I'm more of a Ultra HD Blu-ray guy, so what I'm interested in are the streaming services for use with my JVC projector. The Roku has the lot plus correct output of HDR and auto refresh rate, so it works better for me than the Apple TV. However since the Apple TV 4K will be getting updates for HDR output and auto refresh rates, I still think it's worth getting if you use iTunes for movies.

Okay great, thanks Steve. I'd also rather buy UHD blu-rays, but they seem pretty thin on the ground and I don't buy imported discs so my options are somewhat limited. The titles on Amazon Instant on the LG are pretty much all purchase only for the UHD releases, so I was thinking maybe the Apple TV could be useful for renting UHD/HDR films. Had a quick look in the iTunes store and there doesn't seem to be that much UHD content in there either, which is a pity.

Phil, expecting some “De Palma” style overhead tracking shots added to the 2018 videos with your new toy ;)

Okay great, thanks Steve. I'd also rather buy UHD blu-rays, but they seem pretty thin on the ground and I don't buy imported discs so my options are somewhat limited. The titles on Amazon Instant on the LG are pretty much all purchase only for the UHD releases, so I was thinking maybe the Apple TV could be useful for renting UHD/HDR films. Had a quick look in the iTunes store and there doesn't seem to be that much UHD content in there either, which is a pity.

The Roku is HDR, but no DOLBYVISION which is a major limitation if you like Netflix and have a DOLBY VISION TV = LG 2017 OLED TV’s.

Otherwise it is a fantastic streaming device and I am buying one for my Bro as a Xmas Present.

I'm sure there will be more 4K films available on iTunes and of course you get Dolby Vision as well on some of the titles, which will be useful for your C7.

I have a few questions to Danny for the planned Podcast, please can you let me know which thread to post them? I already posted them on the Philips discussion thread, but not sure if it is the right thread.

I've just finished the podcast and Phil suggested posted them here, although they may have been picked up in the other thread already.

I enjoyed both the AV and hair updates, although i think i'll hold off buying a zafira baseball cap. It's embarrassing enough being seen in the actual car and i'm not some sort of hipster that can pull of an ironic look.

ATB,
MB

Question for the planned Philips Podcast with Danny.

Hello Philips,

Please pass on these questions to Danny for the Forthcoming Podcast, thank you.

Noise and Sharpness become less noticeable and relevant when comparing TV’s at greater viewing distances.
For example it is less relevant on 55inch screen from 7+ feet onwards vs if you were only 5feet away, obviously. On a 65inch from 9+ feet onwards vs if you were only 6 feet away.

QUESTION 1.
Based on 1080p Streaming Content what distance is it almost indistinguishable between TV’s for 55inch TV?

QUESTION 2.
Based on 1080p Streaming Content what distance is it almost indistinguishable between TV’s for 65inch TV?

I can elaborate on this if you require clarification

Enjoyed this week's edition - Only took 12 minutes before you started chatting about AV. Who needs mens' magazines for lifestyle tips when we have you!

Looking forward to Danny's interview and further insight into what developments are around the corner. I recall you previously promising a few interviews with members of the AV industry in the past, but nothing seems to have happened since then. Any chance of the occasional special which could be broadcast when the team have a break?

I love the Podcasts and only recently discovered them - since August.

What would be really cool if you could occasionally do a Video Podcast.
I can imagine that takes allot more work and maybe it could be recorded in case the older participants need toilet breaks.

526FC370-41C6-45B2-AEF4-1EA7C392E872.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question for Danny:

Years ago, Philips developed and released a 21:9 aspect ratio TV. It wasn't well reviewed and didn't sell well, but I believe this was due to technology limitations at the time, plus possibly some limited development as Philips was treading water.

I also believe that this aspect ratio really works for film fans wanting a TV that natively supports cinemascope and Constant Image Height who can't make the leap to a projector and screen. This will fill the field of view whilst watching scope films, but won't make watching TV a 'follow the tennis ball' experience. We also know that HDR works so much better on TVs than at least current projectors, and this isn't expected to change.

Does Philips plan to revisit producing a 21:9 screen with OLED technology?

I believe today's technology could yield awesome results as we see from today's 16:9 screens.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom