AVForums Podcast: Episode 197 - 23rd October 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,314
      This week:

00:01:05 – Ed is on the mend and RIP Sean Hughes
      00:14:00 – Current competitions
      00:16:26 – Steve and Phil review the Sony VW260ES and VW360ES 4K projectors
      00:26:11 – Ed’s thoughts on the KEF Q350 speakers
      00:34:14 – Phil, Steve and Ed review Blade Runner 2049
      00:48:30 – Films opening on Friday – Thor: Ragnarok
      00:50:26 – Blu-rays released this week – The Mummy and Ash vs The Evil Dead Season 2
      00:52:08 – Ultra HD Blu-ray update
      00:53:10 – TV shows worth checking out
      00:57:37 – Star Wars News – What did we think of The Last Jedi trailer and is Solo: A Star Wars Story the least imaginative title ever?
      01:11:06 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast
      Sponsor link: Audible.co.uk/AVF

Time: 01:11:44 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,064
      Nice to hear you back, I'm going to see blade runner tonight in IMAX 3D so I'll be interested to see if I make it the whole way without nodding off!

No interest in any more spin off star wars and I don't think kids will be either..

3. Habanero

Habanero

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      I said to the missus this morning, "Guess what's back today". She replied "YES! The Walking Dead!" "No, close though, it's the AVForums podcast!"

4. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,560
      this is a question for @edselley will there be a group test of all the speakers you mention in the podcast as being reviewed currently the kefs, monitor audio silvers etc?..

5. glyssas

glyssas
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      Dears Phil, and Steve
      I listened to your discussion on the Sony 4k projectors this morning and I heard you say that you were not very happy with the HDR performance of your JVC-X7000 and JVC-X5000. I own a JVC-X5000 myself and I used to share the same opinion with you. I had at the time ordered an HDFury Integral and used that with the Panasonic UB700 like many other members of this forum to map the HDR in UHD Blu-ray discs to SDR.

I also had a calibrator who calibrated my projector for BT-2020 SDR as well as Rec.709.

But installing Arve's tool and generating custom curves to simulate the EOTF curve was a game-changer for me vis-a-vis the dreaded Gamma D with all the Colour manipulations which would be OK with some films but not at all OK with others.

Ever since I generated and installed custom 'gamma' curves (I have one clipping at 1200 nits and one at 4000 nits), the HDR experience with my X5000 is at a completely new level to the point that I took the HDFury out of the chain and I no longer convert 4k UHD discs from HDR to SDR.

Having said all this, I have no idea how the quality of my HDR compares with the one of the Sony's.

I have a 260 cm wide grey ambient light reducing screen with a 0.9 gain. I get an average of around 110 nits on a 16:9 image. Of course, I am aware of the drawbacks of projection technology, and I know that my set-up suffers in the bright highlights, but those are very scarce in a film: I could live without looking at a scene with a bright sun having multiple different gradations of colour and brightness, as opposed to a bright white blur. :)

6. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,355
      Good to have you back lads.

Have to agree regarding Mr Zimmer, love his soundtracks, but this and Dunkirk (ok, the ticking clock added to the intensity, but I didn't enjoy most of it until the end and you have a lovely piece while the landing occurs), the majority of man of Man of Steel was pretty poor bar a few.

Not sure if he is over stretching himself these days, but seems to be 80% kack and then that 5-10% gold.

In fairness, as Ed stated, it does work with the film, which I guess is what he has been asked to do, but the days of purchasing his OST's have ended for me (for now anyway) although I did enjoy The Crown (as a standalone ost) mainly composed by Rupert Gregson-Williams (a member of Zimmers Remote Control Productions) as it sounded like the old Zimmer.

One thing Bladerunner 2049 highlighted for me is that my local arty cinema which has a fantastic projector has a poor right rear side speaker, with all that base, it rattled throughout the entire film.

I posted the same on the film thread, Deakins is a master, at almost 70 I hope he doesn't have a decent final salary pension and keeps working for ever, it looks stunning (as does the majority of his work), UHD purchase for sure.
      Went twice, must have been 10 others all over 40, although maybe just as well as the sheen from all the bald nappers if a full house would have added some HDR highlights the JVC's would be jealous of :)

7. Timh129

Timh129

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +146
      Love the podcast as usual but I disagree with comedians . Last Friday night I went to watch mickey Flanagan at Wembley arena I’m 40 years old and I can tell you he is the most relevant and spot on topic comedian about . Super sharp and charismatic .

Watch his 2 previous shows ‘out out’ and ‘back in the game ‘ . If people of a similar age can’t relate or find anything funny about them I would be shocked.

8. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      Welcome back Gentlemen and good to hear your informative banter again.

I agree with Timh129's thoughts on comedy. A great number of comedians are far edgier away from the constraints of TV. The shows at smaller venues ( up to 700 seaters ) are far better and the audience interactions are a good test of their humour. We go to see at least 6-8 comedians every year plus shows at our local Glee Club in Birmingham ( inc' this Wednesday ). As for cutting edge, try Paul Chowdhry. You will only recount his jokes with close and trusted friends, especially in the workplace.

Looking forward to Ed's 5.1.4 experience as I want some good upfiring speakers in order to placate the other half. Speakers in the ceiling have proved to be a step too far in my Atmos journey

9. steve a

steve a

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      Good to have you back gent's and a great podcast as usual. I am looking forward to the new Star Wars film this December but no interest at the moment in the Han Solo movie, it could be a star wars remake of Apollo 13 and how Han & Chewie repair the MF for all the interest I have at the moment.

10. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,064
      Saw blade runner last night, great but flawed movie.
      I didn't fall asleep!
      Sound was very loud, but fit the movie.....

Cinematography was SUPERB!

11. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +225
      A superb podcast which is informative, funny and really good topics.

More