AVForums Podcast: Episode 193 - 11th September 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,592
      This week:

00:00:40 – Has anyone recently joined a gym?
      00:05:32 – Current competitions
      00:05:50 – Steve's thoughts on the Hisense H55N6800 4K TV
      00:12:57 – Mark takes a look at the OSMC Vero 4K media streamer
      00:18:50 – Ed reviews the Acoustic Energy AE100 speakers
      00:22:35 – Ed’s album, vinyl and playlist of the month
      00:30:02 – Close Encounters is back at the cinema but not the Odeon!
      00:34:40 – Films of the month
      00:36:50 – Films opening on Friday – Mother
      00:39:13 – Blu-rays of the month
      00:41:53 – Ultra HD Blu-rays of the month
      00:49:50 – Upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray releases
      00:52:45 – TV Shows of the month
      00:59:15 – Stranger Things creators ask people to set up their TVs correctly
      01:01:25 – Star Wars News
      01:07:10 – Favourite Stephen King film adaptations
      01:15:00 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:16:01 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

2. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,553
      Cheers lads, not sure if it was my phone or you are so in the Gym zone/trying to cram as much into the podcast, but on iTunes Podcast it was certainly up tempo this morning (hopefully just me - still audible but twice the speed).
      Gymina, great idea, mind you 50% would miss looking at themselves in the mirrors!

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      Excellent and funny as per usual standard
      2 things for me,
      Phil you could walk to Cineworld to watch close encounters

And I wish I'd been to see the Atomic Blond you lot did as it was the flattest,dullest, boring wannabe film I've seen since independence day 2! Style most definitely over substance..actually made the last Bourne movie look good
      Not that I have strong feelings about it :)

4. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,259
      I'm with you on Independence Day: Resurgence but I think we'll have to agree to disagree about Atomic Blonde.

5. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,555
      Great to hear you guys as always.

It will be interesting to see if Hisense still to low to mid tier TV's. At their prices they I'm sure will gain some market share and once that's down, I wonder of they will go for true premium sets. But for a 2nd TV, they definitely seem to be worth a look.

Star Wars now just looks to be a compete mess. Sadly given all the director changes, script changes etc they deserve a good kicking at the box office. Sadly that wont happen. In the case of the Han Solo movie, cutting out a filmed major character, re-filming 50%+.....of a film most big fans dont want? Crazy. It seems like Bond of old and possibly today, you do what the Broccoli family want. I dont understand why Disney are playing the safe card. Those millions of cinema goers who dont know much about the franchise/it wasn't in their childhood lives, wont care how safe it's played. The big fans however, the reason Disney bought the damn rights for WANT something different and I think would mostly prefer something that has tried to be different, than the same old crap we have been give so far!*

* Though I do still have a soft spot for TFA (it does grate hugely in places), I would have loved a step in a different direction still.

While you cannot really have this as TV shows of the month, I'm massively looking forward to Tin Star and can only applaud Sky for putting a major show on demand. I can only hope people use this and show Sky it is something that people want.......well I do at least!

6. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +701
      Ok apart from my piccies on the last podcast thread of me, me, me, me, me, me, me, I forgot to mention the following regarding Disney. The only item at Disneyland we saw alluding to the upcoming Star Wars film "The Last Jedi" was a very average (read boring) t-shirt which none of us purchased. Although I bought a very nice "Star Tours" t-shirt which by the way is also a lot of fun to go on.... several times by order of my daughters, as with the Pirates Of The Carribean ride.... five bleedin' times. :zonked:

On the tv news out there, and this would be about three weeks ago now, was confirmation that Disney are going to build at Disneyland, I don't know about Disneyworld.... wait for it.... "Star Wars Land".[​IMG]

Disney are going to make sure they squeeze every single cent from their aquisition of four billion dollars, which seems like something of a bargain now. So when we go back in the next few years to see daughter number one get her graduation for completing her PhD at Berkeley Uni :love: i'm sure we will be going back to Disneyland again. :rolleyes: Apparently it will open in around two years from now.

Remember you heard it first here folks on avforums from LT.... your UK window on Disney.... well this little bit anyway. :)

:facepalm: Oops nice poddy by the way guys. :facepalm:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    7. richardsim7

richardsim7
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,013
      Mark keeps saying "megabytes"

b = bits
      B = Bytes

8 bits = 1 Byte

So Fast Ethernet is 100mbps, which is a theoretical maximum of 12.5MB/s though you can just divide by 10 for a more "real-world" result :)

8. daredevill

daredevill

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +180
      Don't worry ED I've seen it, long time ago mind you. If I remember Dean Stockwell was in it and I was watching Quantum leap at the time so gave it a whirl.

9. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      The Disney Star Wars future character based spinoffs look like being one huge cluster +/# and will distract from the main event of episodes 7-9 which lets be honest were not exactly vital or being demanded in the first place.

They should take the lead from the Harry Potter franchise and expand if they must with a whole other storyline.

Having visited Disney land LA (loads of rushed out Star Wars stuff) and world Florida (nothing much yet) the last 2 years and universal Studios in both I would say that the Harry Potter implementation was far superior and vibrant and will only be further enhanced by the new movies based on fantastic beasts and where to find them.

10. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +209
    11. Timh129

Timh129

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +146
      @Ed Selley

Ed - have you ever heard the Soulwax Remix of LCD Soundsystem's "Daft Punk Is playing..." Thats a great remix. I need you to buy all my 12" Vinyl i have here all 10,000 bits - you'd never leave home again!

UNKLE stuff is great James Lavelle is a fruit loop but makes great Music. To be fair he comes from an independent background with MO Wax Records and anyone that signed DJ Shadow gets my approval!

12. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +960
      Hope your gym locker room isn't like this Phil.

7.png

Also - well done on your weight targets. Great effort.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List