AVForums Podcast: Episode 192 - 4th September 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 3, 2017.

Tags:

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,129
      This week:

00:00:34 – RIP Tobe Hooper
      00:04:43 – Current competitions
      00:05:27 – Samsung, Panasonic and 20th Century Fox annonce HDR10+ partnership
      00:20:08 – IFA 2017 Round-up
      00:53:33 – Phil reviews Terminator 2 3D
      00:58:37 – Films opening on Friday – It
      00:59:27 – Blu-rays released this week – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Mindhorn, The Flash Season 3 and Narcos Season 2
      01:01:14 – Ultra HD Blu-ray round-up
      01:07:00– Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:07:50 | File Size: 92mb | Direct Link

2. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +962
      I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but on seeing the running order I'm sorry to hear of the death of Tobe Hooper, he of the Texas Chain Saw Massacre that I was only last weekend defending to some friends as not being that bloody. Which is why HCC print magazine reviewed the 40th anniversary Blu-ray in 2014 as "Ignoring gore almost entirely, this is a nightmarish assault on the senses infused with a palpable sense of dread. Which is why it caused so many problems for the UK sensors - they couldn't actually find anything to cut."

However, I'm moved to post because of your headline photograph, which I recognised immediately, because in late May I myself was in that very building in Berlin, at an entirely different event English | Deutscher Evangelischer Kirchentag Below is my own photo of the building as I was entering it. And just to show that I'm not making it up about having been there, the nearest S-bahn or U-bahn stop is Messe Sued!
      upload_2017-9-4_1-50-21.jpeg

I'll actually listen to the podcast now!

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +673
      HDR, HDR10, HD+, DV..... yawn. I'm bored already. Let's just have 1 format.

4. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      I agree the format standard needs to be set but why should Dolby be allowed to ring fence dynamic metadata? Because they say they are best at it? Looking at other formats, DTS shouldn't exist as Dolby have that stitched up to? IMO format wars drive development and we all get enhanced flavours other than vanilla. Don't get me wrong, it's very frustrating if you buy into wrong format but always an excuse to upgrade :thumbsup:

5. geogan

geogan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +590
      Yes... Lifeforce... I agree with you there Steve! I bought it especially on Bluray for the eh story myself ;)

6. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,151
      Probably my favourite TH film , love some of the practical effects in this even today. I purchased the rather nice looking steel book.
      20170630_013836.jpg

7. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +655
      I'll go with that, more deliniation in BD. :rolleyes: [​IMG]

8. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +655
      Every time I hear about the 3D situation it erks me, that's one of the main reasons I purchased my VT30 and a 3D capable BD player. 3D BD's are still being released and are selling reasonably well.... so what gives!!! :mad: Anyway having had my rant nice poddy (as usual) guys. :smashin:

As promised (threatened) two podcasts ago, and after our safe return from America to the UK, below are three piccies of yours truly. One is with Ray Dolby's plaque in "Hollywood’s Walk of Fame" and then outside the "Dolby Theatre". I have to say the Hollywood area is a bit of a (meh) let down, apart from the small main area we were in. The third piccy is with me being rather wary with the Dark Lord of the Sith himself "Darth Vader" at Disneyland, telling little ol' LT that he felt that "The Force" was strong in me. As I left with both our daughters and wifey I said that we should clear off quick just in case he changed his mind regarding my allegiance. Once outside I promptly passed wind proving once and for all that "The Force" might be strong in me but "The Fart" is stronger. :thumbsup:

There was a tour of the Dolby Theatre available but as we were with a coach tour there was no time for that personal pleasure as the driver was on a time limit. He was also very, very opinionated which is saying something especially coming from a London taxi driver. :rolleyes:

Given that I suffered a heart attack last year (May 1st) and made it through after a stent was fitted followed by a triple heart bypass when I was 64 (cue for a song) I could have looked like something from a surgical spare parts department, so if I say so myself I could have looked far, far worse. I'm now 65 (these piccies are a couple of weeks old) and i'm still causing wifey no end of aggravation i'm happy to report. Plus my London taxicab licence was reinstated late last year after passing the required stress test that I had to take to prove my medical fitness and after not being able to earn my living for around seven months. So i'm all up and running now so to speak.... regards LT. ;)

Addendum: At least you can now place a face to the name. :p

Ray Dolby.jpg

Dolby Theatre.jpg

Darth Vader & Older Padawan.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    9. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +193
    10. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      Thanks for this week's edition and very informative as usual. With regards to HDR formats, we have been there in the past and whilst early adopters tend to lose out the most, I think the competition helps to identify the strongest/weakest formats which can only be beneficial. The downside is the amount of money lost by those who get it wrong, especially when it comes to TVs. What is more surprising in this situation, is the fact that HDR was being discussed back in early 2015 ( What is HDR? )

11. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,151
      On the HDR front , end of the day all UHD discs will have the HDR10 base layer that works ok for me on my display :smashin:. My recent purchase of Blade Runner shows how bloody good the format is just using the HDR10 base layer. Pana, Sammy and Fox though have mudded the waters some what with the HDR10+ announcement to the point that it actually puts people off upgrading their hardware .

Now if HDR10+ was the base layer going forward rather than a competing format then I expect many more would get on board the UHD ship.